the official betting thread.

White paper published yesterday in England with regards to gambling. Affordability checks if you lose more than €125 in a month and €500 in a year. Could have a huge impact on racing , I'd imagine. Also restriction on 'slots' to between €2 and €15 a spin. No place for these yolks on betting sites imo. Have them separate on a separate App like Bet365 have. BHA sleep-walking into a huge problem here me thinks.

White paper published yesterday in England with regards to gambling. Affordability checks if you lose more than €125 in a month and €500 in a year. Could have a huge impact on racing , I'd imagine. Also restriction on 'slots' to between €2 and €15 a spin. No place for these yolks on betting sites imo. Have them separate on a separate App like Bet365 have. BHA sleep-walking into a huge problem here me thinks.
Slot machines have me fascinated, I have never understood why anyone plays them. It’s a machine, programmed that the owner wins.. there is no other outcome possible so why in gods name would anybody ever play one?

We'll all be in the shops, or never withdrawing after a win if that shite comes in here.

A couple of things here:

We are under AGCC jurisdiction, not UKGC, which means the big companies will be less concerned with its Irish customers compared to their UK ones. That's not to say they won't come looking for affordability, etc, but it should be less of a likelihood.

Secondly, that 125 per day / 500 per year threshold would only trigger open source background credit checks, etc. You're not going to be getting an email or your account suspended if you lose 125 in a day...unless you're a certified degenerate in other financial areas of your life.

A couple of things here:

We are under AGCC jurisdiction, not UKGC, which means the big companies will be less concerned with its Irish customers compared to their UK ones. That's not to say they won't come looking for affordability, etc, but it should be less of a likelihood.

Secondly, that 125 per day / 500 per year threshold would only trigger open source background credit checks, etc. You're not going to be getting an email or your account suspended if you lose 125 in a day...unless you're a certified degenerate in other financial areas of your life.
Hope you're right m8, because the crusaders against gambling won't stop.

The black market is beginning to thrive in the UK already from a few pods I listened to last year. Thing is, if the bookies were behaving respsonsibly there would be no need for any of this shite. WH gubbed me for being up 500 quid over a year (ten a week ffs) and recently got fined 19 million for letting players lose 1000s in a few days.

Funny how they couldn't use those tools for extreme losers :rolleyes:

Still trying to work out what Betway gubbed me for. I think it's either because I took an early price on a Scottish division 2 game once, for the enormous sum of €15, or trying to log into my account while in England.

I was a decent sized loser too with that particular account.

Gubbing anybody who even remotely shows smart behaviour is cowardly for sure but the affordability checks are a bit of a different beast.

If your credit records and bank accounts are free of degeneracy and Money Laundering risks, there shouldn't be a problem. I think the ML issue is one where people might get caught out.

If John Paul who you drink with in Noel Murphy's wants a few bets on and transfers €50 into your bank account and then you transfer that €50 from same bank account into Denise's firm then Denise will immediately shut you down if she ever gets visibility on that Bank Statement.

See John Paul might be just a salt of the earth guy who wants a few bets on without all the hassle of that tech mumbo jumbo but to Denise he has the potential to be akin to Pablo Escobar.

People can moan and groan all they want then but if they're naïve enough to be so forthcoming with that kind of activity then they really can't have any qualms. The UKGC have strict AML policy that betting firms are obliged to act on, with the threat of heavy fines if they don't.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Colin Geddis - Overkill
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Kevin Quigley

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼