The Official Athletics Thread

Rabat DL on the youtube this evening.

It some decent racong all the way down the programme but the 1500m is the event again..

Jacobs outdoor season opener, against a bunch of legitimate pretenders mostly from the OAC

Ollie Hoare comm games champ was a top 5 miler all last year but stank out yhe joint at worlds has never beaten jacob..

Mario Garcia Romo 4th in worlds has gone pro and now trains and lives as a pro

Most intriguingly Yarad Nagoose. Made the Olympics as a collegian but was injured. Had an injury disrupted last year of NCAA ellegability so missed worlds. Since going to OAC just after worlds got fit. Broke US 3k record indoors 7:26..won millrose. Has wone 8 races in a row including a 1:46 800m closes like a demon and looks like the next champ.

Or is he just a pretender to the throne?

Florence DL on YouTube tomorrow evening between 7 and 9.

This was supposed to be the World Champ vs Olympic champ between Jacobs and Kerley but Jacobs scratched during the week.

They had been shit talking on twitter back in march and this is the 2nd race in two weeks where Jacobs ducked. I've no doubt he's injured but is copping unusual volumes of shit online. One to watch on the run up to Budapest

Instead the meet is headlining a Faith Kipyaygon WR attempt at 1500. Ciara Mageean has a lane and off the back of her 800 NR should run fast. It's set up for her really. The only thing is that there is only Embaye from ETH outside of Kipyaygon from East Africa. So i think it'll be Faith 80m ahead of the field from about 1000m, Muir and DeBue Stafford, Andrews and Jess Hull all about Ciara's level so a sub 4 outing would be good. Pacing may be Ropey. Sage Hurta is up but only ran 2:00 for 800m last week, she's being asked for 2:02 pace through 800 and onto 1000m

The race they should be showcasing is the men's 5000m. Outside of Jacob they're pretty much all in there. Josh Cheptagai, Aragawi, Barega, Telahun Bekele, Kajelcha, Krop, Katir and the three yanks Woody, Grant Fisher and Joe Klecker.

Bragging rights for the yanks will be interesting . it's those 3 + Abdi Nur + Paul Chelimo for the US team..Nur fell last week in LA and still won in 13:15.
Chelimo soloed 27:12 at night of the 10ks

5 people into 3 spots doesn't go.

Paul Robinson is Pacing

Cheptagai for the win.

Season yet to catch fire. Jacob still the man after last week

This one should be an improvement though

I was thinking the same thing! Yer man's gone, 'she's Irish, some variation on Kelly makes sense to me'.
NCAA finals next weekend. I don't think she's gone head to head with Britton Wilson too many times. They've been in different sections.

Wilson ran 49.4 or something so could drag another couple of 100s off that record.

Hard to see Adeleke getting the better of Wilson but she's out performed every one of my expectations for her so far.

Talitha Diggs will be in there too but i think Adeleke is better than her.

NCAA finals next weekend. I don't think she's gone head to head with Britton Wilson too many times. They've been in different sections.

Wilson ran 49.4 or something so could drag another couple of 100s off that record.

Hard to see Adeleke getting the better of Wilson but she's out performed every one of my expectations for her so far.

Talitha Diggs will be in there too but i think Adeleke is better than her.
Agree with that analysis GuapoY - in the indoors earlier this year when they had separated runs in the final, lads were saying "if only Adeleke vould have got Wilson in the same race she'd have taken her". They're forgetting that Wilson would also have gone harder in such a scenario.

Either way, it's all good - the times are consistently going in the right direction.

What is peak age for a women's 400m runner? Mid-20's?

What is peak age for a women's 400m runner? Mid-20's?
Yeah I'd guess so.

Shaunae Miller is 29 I think and she's probably just past her peak.

Super spikes will likely shove it on by a few years but we won't see that effect for a while yet.

Wilson could well be the athelete who takes down Sydney McLoughlan. She's doubling at NCAAs 400 and 400h with only 25 mins between races.

She has about 3 seconds in the hurdles over her closest rival.

She managed the same double at her regional event with weaker competition on a 35 min turnaround.

Adeleke will push her hard but that's her 'fresh' race.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Reflux & Friends

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼