The Official Athletics Thread

Here is Fay from last week.

Race gets going at about 9 mins.

That's a strong field Kai Robinson was top 30 or so at world cross this year.

Sam Prakel is the US indoor 1500 and 3000m champ (with the help of a dodgy DQ)

The meet looks good. Fans all over the track and the infield. Choons pumping

Here is Fay from last week.

Race gets going at about 9 mins.

That's a strong field Kai Robinson was top 30 or so at world cross this year.

Sam Prakel is the US indoor 1500 and 3000m champ (with the help of a dodgy DQ)

The meet looks good. Fans all over the track and the infield. Choons pumping
Wow. Blew them away.

Wow. Blew them away.
More significant than i realised. His time of 13:21:99 was 1/100th inside the Athletics Ireland B standard for budapest. And the win brings him inside the quota for a spot.

@egansadventures on twitter is the follow for all that stuff she's all over rankings and qualifiers

Breaking news: The King is dead. Long live the king. Now, K. Kiptum has a way to go before he beats Kipchoge's marathon record but he's definitely started well enough! A couple 2.01s. And did they say the second half today was sub 60 mins? That's fucking mad.

Breaking news: The King is dead. Long live the king. Now, K. Kiptum has a way to go before he beats Kipchoge's marathon record but he's definitely started well enough! A couple 2.01s. And did they say the second half today was sub 60 mins? That's fucking mad.
It was a brilliant morning for sport. Kiptum even started going the wrong way following a bike on the last bend surely cost him a few seconds.

Hammer down from about 31 or 32km.

Still and all Hassan is the story dropped at 10 miles. Had to stop twice to stretch. Nearly got taken out by a bike when she realised she was going to miss the 40km bottle station and still brought it home. All that after of observing Ramadan for the last month or however long it lasts. So no (or minimal)food or water from sun up to sun set.

Last edited:
It was a brilliant morning for sport. Kiptum even started going the wrong way following a bike on the last bend surely cost him a few seconds.

Hammer down from about 31 or 32km.

Still and all Hassan is the story dropped at 10 miles. Had to stop twice to stretch. Nearly got taken out by a bike when she realised she was going to miss the 40km bottle station and still brought it home. All that after of observing Ramadan for the last month or however long it lasts. So no (or minimal)food or whater from sun up to sun set.
Great entertainment alright. The clown in the car nearly took out the bunch of women runners as well.

Yup, I didn't get the chance to see the races live but really enjoyed them on playback last night. Kipchoge at the top of his game (e.g., from 32km onwards in Tokyo) is a thing of beauty to watch. An almost languid style that hypnotises and beguiles. This Kiptum feen is a completely different animal - when he goes, he's swinging and shaking all over the shop - really giving it socks - seems close to the limit all the way home.
After two 2:01's, he is surely lined up for a world record. He was all alone yesterday and might go faster in a shootout. Sub-60 for the second half is something really special.

Some craic with Hassan alright - once she worked her way back in I'd say she freaked out Kipchirchir and the others - they must be kicking themselves for not killing her off when they had the chance. LOL, she was all over the road, talking away, zipping over and back for her bottles, then offering drinks all around - and this is in the windup of a huge money marathon! Great interview with her afterwards - worth a look on YouTube.

On the clashes / near misses with the bikes etc., I always reckon there's too many vehicles at the front of these races. I reckon there's a desire to make it look flashy or something. One jeep out front (with maybe a morobike outrider) and two pushbikes alongside the lead pack, should be plenty. Start 10 bicycles with each race so they can spread out among the top contenders. And when you're approaching the feed stations, push up the road a bit or drop the f++k back out of the way. I've done lead bike for a few road races here and I remember being really surprised at how in tune with the runners you needed to be.

FufId8SWYAM_dd4

👏👏👏👏

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jack L
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼