The next Government

Who will form the next government

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why would any Government sign up to an 8 or 10% commitment for the P.S. when the P.S. unions and the Govt are talking about a 5% raise?

Shoving a big pay increase during an inflationary period is just poor economics.

When inflation in this year alone is running to almost 10% why do you think the PS would sign up to just a 5% increase?

Over the two years I think it'll have to be much closer to 10% as Minstrel said.

When inflation in this year alone is running to almost 10% why do you think the PS would sign up to just a 5% increase?

Over the two years I think it'll have to be much closer to 10% as Minstrel said.
I'd be thinking they wont settle for less than 8%. Plenty of Private Sector offering along those lines.

I'd be thinking they wont settle for less than 8%. Plenty of Private Sector offering along those lines.

I think the previous two years was only something like 3% in total and now inflation in this year alone is 10% and likely to be sizeable, though thankfully not as high as 10% next year. Can't see the Unions who are balloting for Industrial Action at the end of this month doing so over a % or two difference with the Govt. I think the deal for the coming two years will have to be of the order of 10% combined, and even at that there would be effective devaluing of their salaries while some in the private sector go from strength to strength in terms of salary.

I think the previous two years was only something like 3% in total and now inflation in this year alone is 10% and likely to be sizeable, though thankfully not as high as 10% next year. Can't see the Unions who are balloting for Industrial Action at the end of this month doing so over a % or two difference with the Govt. I think the deal for the coming two years will have to be of the order of 10% combined, and even at that there would be effective devaluing of their salaries while some in the private sector go from strength to strength in terms of salary.
The Government are playing hard ball by stalling the talks. The 5bn surplus forces their hand somewhat.

Bit of a game going on between both at the moment.

Yes, as high as inflation is currently and likely to be for the next 12 months it will inevitably come down to standard levels (about 2 % as per E.U./Eurozone)

A 5% increase will be forever.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼