The Action Plan for Housing.

‘I’ve been researching this for 15 years’ – Social Democrats’ Rory Hearne on why ‘anti-intellectual’ FF and FG won’t solve the housing crisis

Seven years ago, after a chance encounter with the Taoiseach in the Phoenix Park, Rory Hearne’s name was brought up in the Dáil.
“I met with him not too long ago at a running event in the Phoenix Park where he was less than pleasant, to put it that way,” Leo Varadkar told the Dáil in 2017.
“It certainly was not the kind of polite conversation I would expect from a university academic.”
He was referring to the housing academic and Maynooth University lecturer telling him that he thought he was a “disgrace” for “not burning the bond holders”, in reference to the repaying of banking debt following the economic crash.
Dr Hearne has in more recent years accused Fine Gael of conducting a smear campaign against him, both on the airwaves and online, particularly in debates on the housing crisis.
“I have communicated my policies, and communicated what they were doing year after year with emotion, with concern,” Dr Hearne says. “And I think they couldn’t handle that.

“You’re supposed to be an academic, you’re supposed to be giving us you know, the advice and then f**king off back to the university, and not debating us and not hammering us in debates.”
He laments several times in our interview that he has spent many years studying housing policies and written academic papers about them. This is why he should be trusted on housing policy, he says.
“People want politicians who have values, who understand issues,” he says.

Dr Rory Hearne is a candidate for the Social Democrats in the Midlands-North-West constituency. Photo: Frank McGrath
“[The public] is fed up of Tweedledum and Tweedledee, people who don’t read the books, who don’t care about understanding things.”
“I have been researching and working on this for 15 years.”
Earlier in the interview, he recalled a broadcast debate with Fianna Fáil Senator Shane Cassells.
“He turned to me and said, Rory needs to get his head out of the books and get down to wherever the f**k it was and look at the actual housing being built. And it’s this anti-intellectual, you know, viewpoint, this anti-ideas, you know, ‘We do, we don’t read’ and that’s part of the problem. They don’t look at the policies and go, there’s a problem here with the policies.”
The outspoken academic had his first stint in politics when he ran for the Dáil in 2007 for People Before Profit (PBP) in the then constituency of Dublin South-East.

An election poster from this time shows a number of promises – among those, a vow to only take half a TD’s salary.
But now running for a European seat in Midlands-North-West for the Social Democrats, this promise no longer remains.
“I made that promise when I was in my early 20s, I now have four children,” he says. “I think it was a very good and very principled [commitment] at the time.”

He also reveals he would take a career break from his current academic role at Maynooth University.
Labour leader Ivana Bacik resigned her role as associate professor at Trinity College after questions were raised over her plans for the role when she was running for the Dáil.
Niamh Hourigan, Labour’s European candidate in Ireland South, has said she would resign her academic role if elected.
However, Dr Hearne says it is up to the university to hire somebody if it is short staffed. He said the career break would be unpaid.
“It doesn’t necessarily mean that if I leave, that there will be no one here teaching,” he says.
Having been in PBP for years, Dr Hearne says he was also a Labour member for three months before the party made the decision to go into government in 2011. He then left.
But it’s still not fully clear why he chose the Social Democrats for this election and not Sinn Féin, whose candidates are being seen as having the most secure chance of winning seats.
He admits that housing is also a key focus point for Sinn Féin. He says he didn’t really consider Sinn Féin but said he looked at all parties “on the left”.
The issues of “housing, inequality, climate change” are key priorities for the Social Democrats and he said it is where he “felt at home most”.
Dr Hearne says he feels passionate about housing, particularly of family homelessness. He says housing is the biggest issue and proposes having a state developer build homes and not the Land Development Agency (LDA), which he brands “Nama 2.0”.
He quotes figures which he says “nobody else” running for a seat in Midlands-North-West has calculated.
“There’s 111,000 adults living at home with their parents in this constituency,” he says. “I don’t see people who live in the constituency raising this, you know, there were 5,000 households evicted in this constituency last year, I don’t see anyone or any other parties who are raising this as an issue.”
He also says 10 of the 15 counties in the constituency had not one affordable rental or purchase home built by the State.

Rory Hearne has done his research and he reads books too. (y)

‘I’ve been researching this for 15 years’ – Social Democrats’ Rory Hearne on why ‘anti-intellectual’ FF and FG won’t solve the housing crisis

Seven years ago, after a chance encounter with the Taoiseach in the Phoenix Park, Rory Hearne’s name was brought up in the Dáil.
“I met with him not too long ago at a running event in the Phoenix Park where he was less than pleasant, to put it that way,” Leo Varadkar told the Dáil in 2017.
“It certainly was not the kind of polite conversation I would expect from a university academic.”
He was referring to the housing academic and Maynooth University lecturer telling him that he thought he was a “disgrace” for “not burning the bond holders”, in reference to the repaying of banking debt following the economic crash.
Dr Hearne has in more recent years accused Fine Gael of conducting a smear campaign against him, both on the airwaves and online, particularly in debates on the housing crisis.
“I have communicated my policies, and communicated what they were doing year after year with emotion, with concern,” Dr Hearne says. “And I think they couldn’t handle that.

“You’re supposed to be an academic, you’re supposed to be giving us you know, the advice and then f**king off back to the university, and not debating us and not hammering us in debates.”
He laments several times in our interview that he has spent many years studying housing policies and written academic papers about them. This is why he should be trusted on housing policy, he says.

Dr Rory Hearne is a candidate for the Social Democrats in the Midlands-North-West constituency. Photo: Frank McGrath
“[The public] is fed up of Tweedledum and Tweedledee, people who don’t read the books, who don’t care about understanding things.”
Earlier in the interview, he recalled a broadcast debate with Fianna Fáil Senator Shane Cassells.
“He turned to me and said, Rory needs to get his head out of the books and get down to wherever the f**k it was and look at the actual housing being built. And it’s this anti-intellectual, you know, viewpoint, this anti-ideas, you know, ‘We do, we don’t read’ and that’s part of the problem. They don’t look at the policies and go, there’s a problem here with the policies.”
The outspoken academic had his first stint in politics when he ran for the Dáil in 2007 for People Before Profit (PBP) in the then constituency of Dublin South-East.

An election poster from this time shows a number of promises – among those, a vow to only take half a TD’s salary.
But now running for a European seat in Midlands-North-West for the Social Democrats, this promise no longer remains.
“I made that promise when I was in my early 20s, I now have four children,” he says. “I think it was a very good and very principled [commitment] at the time.”

He also reveals he would take a career break from his current academic role at Maynooth University.
Labour leader Ivana Bacik resigned her role as associate professor at Trinity College after questions were raised over her plans for the role when she was running for the Dáil.
Niamh Hourigan, Labour’s European candidate in Ireland South, has said she would resign her academic role if elected.
However, Dr Hearne says it is up to the university to hire somebody if it is short staffed. He said the career break would be unpaid.
“It doesn’t necessarily mean that if I leave, that there will be no one here teaching,” he says.
Having been in PBP for years, Dr Hearne says he was also a Labour member for three months before the party made the decision to go into government in 2011. He then left.
But it’s still not fully clear why he chose the Social Democrats for this election and not Sinn Féin, whose candidates are being seen as having the most secure chance of winning seats.
He admits that housing is also a key focus point for Sinn Féin. He says he didn’t really consider Sinn Féin but said he looked at all parties “on the left”.
The issues of “housing, inequality, climate change” are key priorities for the Social Democrats and he said it is where he “felt at home most”.
Dr Hearne says he feels passionate about housing, particularly of family homelessness. He says housing is the biggest issue and proposes having a state developer build homes and not the Land Development Agency (LDA), which he brands “Nama 2.0”.
He quotes figures which he says “nobody else” running for a seat in Midlands-North-West has calculated.
“There’s 111,000 adults living at home with their parents in this constituency,” he says. “I don’t see people who live in the constituency raising this, you know, there were 5,000 households evicted in this constituency last year, I don’t see anyone or any other parties who are raising this as an issue.”
He also says 10 of the 15 counties in the constituency had not one affordable rental or purchase home built by the State.

🤣🤣🤣

He is some spoofer in fairness.

He has no idea what builders and developers have to put up with in the planning process nevermind even getting a viable project to site.

15 years of research into housing and seeing as he has all the answers he is now going to somehow solve the problem from Strasbourg.

51 new cost rental homes announced for Cork, and how does social media react?

Moan moan moan.

Not enough, people don't want to rent, nobody elected this government etc.

Like you just can't win. I'd have thought that any increase in housing supply would be welcomed, especially cost rental. But nah. Why bother building 51, sure we may as well just build nothing right?

People seem to think you can press a button and up pop a few thousand houses. Don't worry about the labour, building materials, weather, costs, planning delays etc.

Moan moan moan.

Like you just can't win. I'd have thought that any increase in housing supply would be welcomed, especially cost rental. But nah. Why bother building 51, sure we may as well just build nothing right?

People seem to think you can press a button and up pop a few thousand houses. Don't worry about the labour, building materials, weather, costs, planning delays etc.
People moaning are usually the ones that worked very little in their lives and have no idea how much planning and work goes to build just 1 house. People who went self build route to build a house on their land know very well how much time and nerves it takes to build a house. You age 3x faster and loose all your hair, not to mention mental health and stress.

Moan moan moan.

How many of them will go to our own? Ur ded rite gurl, I often see people laugh when they see a house for 250k, How is that affordable
they ask, You would swear they had to pay for them immediately,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Big Country
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

28th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼