Sore knee..any suggestions?

I have occasional sciatica..and some knee tendonitis as well,as far as i see they are not connected.
Cold or damp weather is usually the worst for the knee,i ice it and rest it...usually does the trick.

As for the sciatica,I was at a physio in Germany recently..an old lad,seen it all before..he said that the back muscles tighten up,in some cases causing the discs to compress,trapping the nerve(had it in the neck last year..unreal pain).

He recommended yoga and swimming,anything really to keep supple,also posture is very important.

Oh god ya, plenty of squats, just make sure your knees go beyond your toes though.
That'll sort it. ;-)

Nah, planet of rest i'd say msGod.

I was waiting for you to show up and lace into the boy racer thread :p

Stupid f'ing knee!! Between that now and my jaw I should be taken to a field and put down out of kindness :)

I have occasional sciatica..and some knee tendonitis as well,as far as i see they are not connected.
Cold or damp weather is usually the worst for the knee,i ice it and rest it...usually does the trick.

As for the sciatica,I was at a physio in Germany recently..an old lad,seen it all before..he said that the back muscles tighten up,in some cases causing the discs to compress,trapping the nerve(had it in the neck last year..unreal pain).

He recommended yoga and swimming,anything really to keep supple,also posture is very important.

My posture when I'm sitting has gone to shite in the last few years, could well be the case. Thanks very much for the advice, I've been threatening to take up yoga and I swim twice a week :)

1 other thing....my muscles were as tight as fuck from the pain last year..did a treatment called--Deep Dry Needling.

It involves releasing the muscle knot with acupuncture needles..no pain in the treatment itself,hurts the next day alright but after that you are flying it.

Yeah yeah yeah cut it off..but seriously my knee is flogging killing me...it's to the right of the kneecap and behind it. Anyone know any exercises or stretches that might help? I've never had any type of knee injury so havent a clue! I've been doing one-leg squats but it's seriously sore.

Are you exercising a lot? Does it hurt going up stairs? Does the pain decrease after you warm up? Apart from squats, are you jumping or lunging a lot?If the answers are yes then you possibly have Patellar tendinitis. Go to a doctor and get a MRI. It's a bitch of an injury if you don't treat it and the more you keep exercising on it the longer it will take to heal. It's can be an absolute bitch to get rid of.

As cook said, ice the shite out of it and also stretching-concentrating on the glute and quad. It varies from person to person on the treatment and also the outcome of treatment. Very random injury.Stop the one leg squats for now even though eccentric exercises such as these are excellent in treating tendonitis, it's only advisable to do them if causes you minimal discomfort.

Listen to your body and go to a doctor and stop exercising till you know where you are. knees are not to be fucked with!

Are you exercising a lot? Does it hurt going up stairs? Does the pain decrease after you warm up? Apart from squats, are you jumping or lunging a lot?If the answers are yes then you possibly have Patellar tendinitis. Go to a doctor and get a MRI. It's a bitch of an injury if you don't treat it and the more you keep exercising on it the longer it will take to heal. It's can be an absolute bitch to get rid of.

As cook said, ice the shite out of it and also stretching-concentrating on the glute and quad. It varies from person to person on the treatment and also the outcome of treatment. Very random injury.Stop the one leg squats for now even though eccentric exercises such as these are excellent in treating tendonitis, it's only advisable to do them if causes you minimal discomfort.

Listen to your body and go to a doctor and stop exercising till you know where you are. knees are not to be fucked with!

Shiiiite I just assumed it was from working out without adequate rest between sessions, I get really bad DOMS so I tend to work out 3/4days in a row or else I end up having DOMS contantly. It's usually painful for my warm up..loosens out after about 15mins then have wobbly legs by time I'm finished. I dont lunge too much because it makes my knee click, I work out a bit but not to the extent that I'd expect an injury from over-use.

Yeah yeah yeah cut it off..but seriously my knee is flogging killing me...it's to the right of the kneecap and behind it. Anyone know any exercises or stretches that might help? I've never had any type of knee injury so havent a clue! I've been doing one-leg squats but it's seriously sore.

Man up ;-)

Shiiiite I just assumed it was from working out without adequate rest between sessions, I get really bad DOMS so I tend to work out 3/4days in a row or else I end up having DOMS contantly. It's usually painful for my warm up..loosens out after about 15mins then have wobbly legs by time I'm finished. I dont lunge too much because it makes my knee click, I work out a bit but not to the extent that I'd expect an injury from over-use.

Sciatic pain will not affect the knee in the way you've described, its too localised. Make sure to ice it when its sore and take some anti-inflammatories, heat should not be applied when painful as it exacerbates the inflammation. DO NOT CONTINUE TO EXERCISE, that will make it worse. In the morning rather than a full warm up (which could cause mechanical irritation) use a heat pack, the idea is to release the muscle fibres at a cellular level so heat pack will do the same job as exercise without the risk of mechanical injury. DO NOT USE DEEP HEAT, its a waste of time designed to trigger heat receptors to mask the pain, it does not heat anything.

This is all theory without a physical examination do go get it checked out, especially considering the physical nature of your job. You may have some capsule damage which would need someone to physically assess. If you leave it, it will get worse

I hope this helps

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼