O cadhla

You're an awful retard m8.

The Presidents garden was called such because it was walled. They took down the wall in 1962 iirc.

The statue of Victoria was atop the presidents office, overlooking....the Quad.

Tell us again how a period of architecture is somehow being subservient to the British crown.....

Jebus wept!
We are not disputing why the President's Garden was so called. The point is, it is STILL referred to as The President's Garden, just as the quad is still referred to as the quad. The Mardyke is still referred to as The Mardyke even though the actual dyke has long since disappeared.

I wasn't even born, and neither were you, when the vicky statue was taken down (and buried for safe keeping in the President's Garden) but I have it on good authority from someone who was alive back then that it faced down towards The Avenue across the President's Garden from overhead the President's Office. Though I grant you it would have made more sense to have faced it onto the quad that he tells me is not where it was.

Kent Station, Pearse Road, McSwiney’s Villas, Collins Barracks, etc., are not “named after IRA martyrs.”

They’re named after our founding patriots. The city honours people of note from our entire history. We should understand that Cook Street, Wellington Road, Alexandra Road, Devonshire Street, etc. are just as much as part of our heritage as any other.

They mark the part of our heritage when we were a nation subjugated by another through force of arms. Victoria in particular oversaw an era when, though we were supposedly part of a "United" Kingdom, where food was shipped away from an area where starvation was rife and nearly a million starved to death, over to the neighbouring island where no such deprivation existed. I suspect there aren't many nations honour the foreigners who oppressed them by force of arms. Touch of the Stockholm Syndrome I guess.

They mark the part of our heritage when we were a nation subjugated by another through force of arms. Victoria in particular oversaw an era when, though we were supposedly part of a "United" Kingdom, where food was shipped away from an area where starvation was rife and nearly a million starved to death, over to the neighbouring island where no such deprivation existed. I suspect there aren't many nations honour the foreigners who oppressed them by force of arms. Touch of the Stockholm Syndrome I guess.
Poverty in the 19th Century At the end of the 19th century more than 25%of the population of Britain was living at or below subsistence level. Surveys indicated that around 10% were very poor and could not afford even basic necessities such as enough nourishing food.

Although some believed the myth that Queen Victoria had only donated a miserly £5 to famine relief, in fact the sum was £2,000, the equivalent of £61,000 today, from her personal resources. She also was patron of a charity that fundraised for famine relief.

Queen Victoria was simply a constitutional monarch with no direct powers other than deciding what type of sandwiches to have at a summer garden party and has never received any "honours" by this State.

Jebus wept!
We are not disputing why the President's Garden was so called. The point is, it is STILL referred to as The President's Garden, just as the quad is still referred to as the quad. The Mardyke is still referred to as The Mardyke even though the actual dyke has long since disappeared.

I wasn't even born, and neither were you, when the vicky statue was taken down (and buried for safe keeping in the President's Garden) but I have it on good authority from someone who was alive back then that it faced down towards The Avenue across the President's Garden from overhead the President's Office. Though I grant you it would have made more sense to have faced it onto the quad that he tells me is not where it was.

No M8, you have been proven demonstrably wrong, yet again.

You decided to start giving me a lecture on the history & geography of UCC.

After getting your ass handed to you, you've now retreated to your trademarked 'someone I know told me'.

Classic SoundY.

At least you've stepped away from whatever half baked ideas you had about MacCurtain street and its architectural history/marketing spiel being somehow a victory for O'Caedhla, lolzers.

In work/holiday camp less than ten minutes this week and he's wailing about the famine.

Whens the ballot on the next round of industrial action?

Poverty in the 19th Century At the end of the 19th century more than 25%of the population of Britain was living at or below subsistence level. Surveys indicated that around 10% were very poor and could not afford even basic necessities such as enough nourishing food.

Although some believed the myth that Queen Victoria had only donated a miserly £5 to famine relief, in fact the sum was £2,000, the equivalent of £61,000 today, from her personal resources. She also was patron of a charity that fundraised for famine relief.

Queen Victoria was simply a constitutional monarch with no direct powers other than deciding what type of sandwiches to have at a summer garden party and has never received any "honours" by this State.

At the end of the 19th century living at or below subsistence level????? Are you really trying to equate that to a million people in what was the UK actually dying of starvation???

To put your ludicrous attempted parallel in context 1 in 6 in Ireland today are living below the poverty line. I don't think there are hundreds of thousands of people here dying of starvation in the last three years, there weren't even thousands of people dying of starvation were there?

And QV donated 2K from "her personal resources" :oops:

"Let them eat swan" eh? :rolleyes:

You really are a pity Stacey

In work/holiday camp less than ten minutes this week and he's wailing about the famine.

Whens the ballot on the next round of industrial action?

Oh look, poor zero trying to deflect when he clearly hasn't a clue what my hours of work are and spends more time posting here than I do :ROFLMAO:

61k in TODAY'S money! What a hero. Surprised she didn't starve herself after handing all that dosh over!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Making A Scene

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼