Minor Hurling 2022

Are Cork taking part in the Forristal / Arrabawn etc. competions at U14 - U16 this summer?
I listened to John Meyler on a Wexford podcast recently - theres a lot of work going in to those U15's - interestingly he's really pushing for young fellas to transfer schools to Harty Cup Colleges if they are not already attending one already.
Interesting point Grasshopper.

This is definitely something that is starting to happen again in Cork. The two most notable schools where this is happening at the moment is in Colmans and CBC.

Colmans are starting to get more lads from the North Cork area to come to the school for Harty. From last years team you had Jamie Magner of Killavullen and Ben Nyhan of Clyda Rovers who both would,ve been closer to the schools in Mallow but chose to go to Colmans. Ben Nodwell of Sars is another who made the decision to go to Colmans instead of one of the Glanmire Schools. Darragh Flynn transferred from Mitchelstown to Colmans for Harty also.

CBC have had lots of lads come from other schools to play Harty Hurling. Interestingly, a lot of Midleton lads have played Harty with CBC over the years with Tommy O Connell, the Finn brothers and David Cremin all playing with them despite having Midleton CBS near them. Timmy Wilk also chose to got to Midleton CBS over the secondary school in Cobh for what I presume were hurling reasons.

Looking at the starting 15 from last years All Ireland Minor team, 10 of the 15 went to Harty schools, with Kevin Lyons and William Buckley winning an All Ireland B with Rochestown. The Dean Ryan/Harty is a great way for young lads to be scouted onto county Minor teams so Meyler makes a very valid point.

Interesting point Grasshopper.

This is definitely something that is starting to happen again in Cork. The two most notable schools where this is happening at the moment is in Colmans and CBC.

Colmans are starting to get more lads from the North Cork area to come to the school for Harty. From last years team you had Jamie Magner of Killavullen and Ben Nyhan of Clyda Rovers who both would,ve been closer to the schools in Mallow but chose to go to Colmans. Ben Nodwell of Sars is another who made the decision to go to Colmans instead of one of the Glanmire Schools. Darragh Flynn transferred from Mitchelstown to Colmans for Harty also.

CBC have had lots of lads come from other schools to play Harty Hurling. Interestingly, a lot of Midleton lads have played Harty with CBC over the years with Tommy O Connell, the Finn brothers and David Cremin all playing with them despite having Midleton CBS near them. Timmy Wilk also chose to got to Midleton CBS over the secondary school in Cobh for what I presume were hurling reasons.

Looking at the starting 15 from last years All Ireland Minor team, 10 of the 15 went to Harty schools, with Kevin Lyons and William Buckley winning an All Ireland B with Rochestown. The Dean Ryan/Harty is a great way for young lads to be scouted onto county Minor teams so Meyler makes a very valid point.
Yeah it makes sense - it does bring up the thought that there are some other schools out there in big population centers that should be trying to get u to play Harty standard, like Mallow/ Carrigaline / Ballincollig.
Brian Cuthbert wrote his Phd. or Masters thesis a few years ago and part of it was about utilizing schools as centers of excellence located around the county, similar enough to the way Rugby do it

Yeah it makes sense - it does bring up the thought that there are some other schools out there in big population centers that should be trying to get u to play Harty standard, like Mallow/ Carrigaline / Ballincollig.
Brian Cuthbert wrote his Phd. or Masters thesis a few years ago and part of it was about utilizing schools as centers of excellence located around the county, similar enough to the way Rugby do it
What's the record for number of Cork teams in the Harty Cup. Alongside Midleton, Colmans and CBC, I'd expect Rochestown to go up after winning the B competition. I think Youghal plan on playing Harty this year and Possibly Mon Ag aswell?

You'd imagine you should be able to form a decent team in likes of ballincollig, I suppose with two big schools in the town the numbers are divided between each at present.

You'd imagine you should be able to form a decent team in likes of ballincollig, I suppose with two big schools in the town the numbers are divided between each at present.
You'd imagine they'd be able to field a strong amalgamated team considering how strong Ballincollig have been underage the last few years at both codes. They seem to have cut down on amalgamations in the Harty, the two Mon schools is the only one I can think of at the moment.

You'd imagine they'd be able to field a strong amalgamated team considering how strong Ballincollig have been underage the last few years at both codes. They seem to have cut down on amalgamations in the Harty, the two Mon schools is the only one I can think of at the moment.
Ya ballincollig have had strong hurling teams underage recently, add in a few players from eire og, ballinora, inniscarra, cloughdubh and you could probably get a very competitive side together

Are the mon schools amalgamated? THats great to hear. They never should have broken up in the first place.

Ya ballincollig have had strong hurling teams underage recently, add in a few players from eire og, ballinora, inniscarra, cloughdubh and you could probably get a very competitive side together
Very good point, Would also give a major boost to those clubs underage and adult teams in the future with lads getting the chance to play Harty. Overall, Cork needs to get as many schools as possible playing Harty Cup to help develop young players, especially those who aren't involved in county squads who could benefit hugely from the experience.

After watching the games over the weekend I don't think there's 1 team head and shoulders above the rest like Cork was last year. There's 5 or 6 teams, Cork included that are around the same level.
Maybe. In the championship Cork beat two poor teams handily, the game against Clare was close enough but on the day Clare were better. Hard to say how Cork would have done had they squeaked through. What was really galling about losing that one is that Clare got four more games against good opposition and got to train together for another two months, which is invaluable experience.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jack L
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Cripple of Inishmaan

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼