Minor Hurling 2022

North Cork Minor A Hurling Final result:

Charleville 1-18 Kilworth/Araglen Óg 1-16

Kristian O' Gorman was the star for Charleville finishing with 1-12. DJ Collins and Zach Biggane were also very impressive. Liam Óg Hegarty was best for Kilara Óg.

Last edited:
North Cork Minor A Hurling Final result: Charleville 1-18 Kilworth/Araglen Óg 1-16 Kristian O' Gorman was the star for Charleville finishing with 1-12. DJ Collins and Zach Biggane were also very impressive. Liam Óg Hegarty was best for Kilara Óg.
Would Kristian be any relation to Seanie?

North Cork Star and Bana

I attended the North Cork Minor A final and agree with you on Christian, Zach and Liam Og in a relatively good game. Tomas Maher scored the point of the match after a tremendous solo but it was ridiculous of Kilara Og to play him as a sweeper. This guy stood out at corner-forward last year albeit U-15 and now he's protecting his full-back line while there attack over relied on Liam Og although Pierce O'Riordan and Olan McCarthy had their moments particularly early on. It is this kind of sweeper rubbish that has hurling ruined. Kilara Og will be favourites to win this title next year as about two thirds of the team are underage in 2023.

Charleville have since defeated Bandon in the County semi-final, they will play the winners of Youghal and Eire Og in the final.

AFAIK Christian O'Gorman is no relation to Sean but I believe he is first cousin of jockey Jessica O'Gorman and second cousin of Limerick hurler Diarmuid Byrnes.

Would generally agree with this with 2 small provisos:
1. Any decent player with a P2 team will have been playing 2/3 years above his age all the way up so will be exposed to a higher level and more physical game for many years. Most P1 players tend to play at their age only with the very best maybe playing one year up only until they reach minor.
2. The school you go to is vitally important. Dean Ryan and Harty are miles above P1. Admittedly winter hurling but with the standard of pitches these days not as big an issue as it was.
To verify your first point, 11 or 12 players of this years Premier 2 Champions Killeagh are underage again next year so they should be contenders at Premier 1. Douglas, Midleton, Sars & Glen should all be thereabouts, at a guess I actually fancy Douglas to retain their title.

Harty was over Premier 1 back when it was under 18 and a half and minor was U-18, not to mind now! When the North Mon won the Harty and AI Hogan Cup in 2003/'04 they had Sean Og, Pat Ryan, Kevin Egan, John Anderson, Adrian Coughlan whereas when Blackrock won the county later in 2004 they had Coughlan and John Browne who didn't figure with Cork minors that lost to Galway in the AI final. I think the old inter-county minor teams were ahead of Dean Ryan but not now with the minor age gone lower to U-17.

To verify your first point, 11 or 12 players of this years Premier 2 Champions Killeagh are underage again next year so they should be contenders at Premier 1. Douglas, Midleton, Sars & Glen should all be thereabouts, at a guess I actually fancy Douglas to retain their title.

Harty was over Premier 1 back when it was under 18 and a half and minor was U-18, not to mind now! When the North Mon won the Harty and AI Hogan Cup in 2003/'04 they had Sean Og, Pat Ryan, Kevin Egan, John Anderson, Adrian Coughlan whereas when Blackrock won the county later in 2004 they had Coughlan and John Browne who didn't figure with Cork minors that lost to Galway in the AI final. I think the old inter-county minor teams were ahead of Dean Ryan but not now with the minor age gone lower to U-17.
Good to see you back 😀.
Sars will be raging hot favourites for Minor County next year, very strong team but doesn't always work out like that.
On a separate note in relation to the schools Munster Council never addressed the gap that has appeared between Dean Ryan & Harty since kids started doing transition year. It's now 2.5 years which means for a lot of players they have no schools hurling for 1 or even 2 years. Afaik in Leinster it's U17 & U19 which is slightly better but still not great.

Pooman

You could be right regarding Sars, they should be well balanced without having as many players as Douglas expected to make the Cork minors.

You make a valid point on the age gap between Dean Ryan and Harty.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼