Florence & The Machine for Cork ??

It's a long time since I posted on the forum but here's my two cents....

It was a very enjoyable night overall. I pay to go see enough gigs in Cork so it was nice this year to go along to the Murphy's ones this for free. I went to some of the chill n' grills as well, nice grub and a few drinks even though I'm a Beamish man myself and will remain so despite the advertsising bombardment. I didn't even drink myself on Saturday night so I got to hear and see it all through sober ears and eyes!

Queued up about 5.45, yes it was raining but nothing the organisers can do about that as they tried to get people in as quickly as possible.

I liked the idea of the two stages as the Opera House is well set up for this kind of thing. You could theoretically see a bit of everyone which I ended up doing. I thought Megafaun were excellent as I didn't know any of their stuff beforehand. Must try and pick up some of their stuff. I enjoyed o emperor too.

Lisa Hannigan blew me away to be honest with her voice in a live setting and she got a rapturous reception, her song Lille was the highlight of the night for me.

Magic numbers kept the atmosphere up with a festival style performance. I've seen Florence before and she is a very good performer, she gave it everything on the night and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Great dj-ing between acts and I enjoyed the short films as well (although the sound went for the Fred video). Nice food stalls as well, there was queues but nothing unexpected. Very easy to get a drink even though as I said I wasn't drinking. The only sizeable delay of the night was waiting for the headliner to come on but the dj kept things from getting boring with a few crowd pleasers.

Florence is not the best thing since sliced bread, but shock horror some of us weren't just there to see her! I was there to see Cork bands given a bigger stage and some new acts who might not have come to Cork only for this event.

Whatever people's views on corporate sponsorship of such nights it was a very good night. I enjoyed it and hope it happens again. It's nice to get a good line up for free after paying for so many gigs.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. Lisa Hannigan was my surprise highlight as well. Absolutely stunning performance. Didn't bother drinking either. Plenty of fun to be had without it.

I think its funny how people are criticising others for getting excited about Florence and the Machine. I always thought music was subjective but apparently we must only fully appreciate music that is accepted by the music snobs.

I think its funny how people are criticising others for getting excited about Florence and the Machine. I always thought music was subjective but apparently we must only fully appreciate music that is accepted by the music snobs.

Ah c'mon, put them in perspective. How many people are actually complaining about it out of the people who were at the gig?!

It's a tiny minority that always sees the glass 1/8th empty rather than 7/8ths full. A free gig in the middle of a recession with top acts: any reasonable person couldn't complain about that.

The vast majority of people I know were very positive about the whole thing. You'll always have a some langer moaning that there was only one free drink and six free bands instead of six free drinks and one free band.

That said people are allowed to express their opinion no matter how awfully wrong or negative it might be.

Ah c'mon, put them in perspective. How many people are actually complaining about it out of the people who were at the gig?!

It's a tiny minority that always sees the glass 1/8th empty rather than 7/8ths full. A free gig in the middle of a recession with top acts: any reasonable person couldn't complain about that.

The vast majority of people I know were very positive about the whole thing. You'll always have a some langer moaning that there was only one free drink and six free bands instead of six free drinks and one free band.

That said people are allowed to express their opinion no matter how awfully wrong or negative it might be.

It's not so much people complaining about the gig that I'm giving out about here. What baffles me is just the fact that people can actually have such snobbery that they will just brush off somebody elses subjective opinion as it is not in keeping with their own. If someone didn't enjoy the gig, thats their own loss, makes no difference to me as I had a great night. (Though I can't understand what anyone would have to complain about in regards to the night). I just think that this musical snobbery is ridiculous.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼