Cyclists

Absolutely and definitely on the spectrum

I bet he lives at home with his Mammy and has no life so he spends all his time with his little video camera thinking he is a cop

He is not mentally stable and will get what is coming to him, not that of course we will ever know because his camera will be made shit of.
An extremely ignorant statement. People with ASD live very fulfilling lives and make incredible contributions to society.

The way he speaks.
The way he was able to identify every App the driver had opened.
The way he knows the phonetic alphabet
A lack of common sense.

What way does he speak? He's Dutch btw so that's the accent and besides that he sounds like any other lad.

I don't think he lacks common sense. His father was killed by a drunk driver and he equates drunk drivers to drivers using mobile phones. That's what got him started.

The reason I'm asking is because I feel you are using the term "spectrum" as a put down. I might be wrong.

I know a lot about it actually, thank you.

So in your view, it is impossible for someone with ASD to still live with Mammy when they are in adulthood?

Some are mentally stable others are not, when I say stable I mean normal social behaviour.
I didn't say anything was impossible.
I said "You think people on the spectrum are not mentally stable, live with their Mammies and have no lives and pretend to live out false personae?" That thing on the end is a question mark, I was asking if that's what you thought.

Mental stability and what you call normal social behaviour in those on the spectrum are not remotely connected. If I was to ask you to define mentally unstable I would be confident if you were honest in your answer, autistic people would not feature.

So you don't know a lot about it actually.

Autistic people are neurodivergent not neurodeficient. It means they interpret the world differently and interact with it differently, not less. It means their understanding of social norms and interactions can be different from yours and mine not less. It also means they excel at things we don't and I don't mean in a Rain Man 246 way. They are also extremely aware of emotions and feelings they just don't share or express it in the same way.

You think people on the spectrum are not mentally stable, live with their Mammies and have no lives and pretend to live out false personae?

Strongly suggest you understand more about ASD.

As for the cycle nazi - the problem is the absolutist nature of their argument. No half way, no accommodation, no understanding or acceptance of even the faintest alternative narrative. If you have that view, it drives behaviour like this.

You simply cannot question it. Like climate change, it's ideology or nothing. Like the woke agenda in parts, you accept or you're a bigot.
The tolerance these movements advocate for, they never want to demonstrate themselves.

Well said.

Take the cycleway in Glounthuane.

The boys in the county planning office pushed this through with very little practical concern for how it was going to effect a well established locally owned business.

The owners have now gone to the papers and online to strengthen their case.

You had a Cork cycling advocacy group basically attack them on Twitter for trying to stop their business being damaged.

You then have their followers from all over the country jumping in two footed that the owners are privileged and that the cycle lane is great, anyone against it as is against progress.

Anyone with a functioning set of eyes could see from the plans this was going to be a disaster and so it has proven in practice. Just really shoddy planning.

The cycling groups have a loud online presence but most of these guys will never see the lane, never mind use it. Id imagine signatures from the community will hold more sway with getting the current set up there altered.

Last edited:
You think people on the spectrum are not mentally stable, live with their Mammies and have no lives and pretend to live out false personae?

Strongly suggest you understand more about ASD.

As for the cycle nazi - the problem is the absolutist nature of their argument. No half way, no accommodation, no understanding or acceptance of even the faintest alternative narrative. If you have that view, it drives behaviour like this.

You simply cannot question it. Like climate change, it's ideology or nothing. Like the woke agenda in parts, you accept or you're a bigot.
The tolerance these movements advocate for, they never want to demonstrate themselves.
An extremely ignorant statement. People with ASD live very fulfilling lives and make incredible contributions to society.
What way does he speak? He's Dutch btw so that's the accent and besides that he sounds like any other lad.

I don't think he lacks common sense. His father was killed by a drunk driver and he equates drunk drivers to drivers using mobile phones. That's what got him started.

The reason I'm asking is because I feel you are using the term "spectrum" as a put down. I might be wrong.
I didn't say anything was impossible.
I said "You think people on the spectrum are not mentally stable, live with their Mammies and have no lives and pretend to live out false personae?" That thing on the end is a question mark, I was asking if that's what you thought.

Mental stability and what you call normal social behaviour in those on the spectrum are not remotely connected. If I was to ask you to define mentally unstable I would be confident if you were honest in your answer, autistic people would not feature.

So you don't know a lot about it actually.

Autistic people are neurodivergent not neurodeficient. It means they interpret the world differently and interact with it differently, not less. It means their understanding of social norms and interactions can be different from yours and mine not less. It also means they excel at things we don't and I don't mean in a Rain Man 246 way. They are also extremely aware of emotions and feelings they just don't share or express it in the same way.
Lads, in all seriousness can I firstly apologies to you all, it was not some sort of a put down to anyone with ASD.
Yes I put 2 and 2 together and I came up with an assumption.

Someone in my family is on the spectrum and has Asberger's , a neighbours child is autistic, I think we all in this day and age know people with ASD and again my apologies.

Lads, in all seriousness can I firstly apologies to you all, it was not some sort of a put down to anyone with ASD.
Yes I put 2 and 2 together and I came up with an assumption.

Someone in my family is on the spectrum and has Asberger's , a neighbours child is autistic, I think we all in this day and age know people with ASD and again my apologies.
Accepted, all good. My son is just 13 and on the spectrum. Each person on the spectrum is unique in their challenges. His personal drive and determination are incredible to me. He just drives on through. I wish I had his spirit. That said he's nearly 6'2 and yet won't be Cork's go to ball winner or the next Paul O'Connell but he's at every training and gives 100%.

I'm perpetually worried about him but wouldn't change him for the world.

A lot of the drivers has "catches" are just stationary in traffic when their phone is out. Still illegal but to think this is equivalent to drunk driving in his mind? A strange one. Someday he will meet the wrong man at the wrong time or pissed off people will dox him. What he is doing is not something I would like to be basing a youtube channel on.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Insiders

Cantys, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼