Cyclists

That righttocycle guy seems to target older fellas and women. A motorbike Garda on Georges Quay wouldn't be long putting manners on him.

40 quid of a fixed charge for a cyclist not taking reasonable consideration may not seem much but he has 3 or 4 hundred quids worth on his Twitter.

These cycling 'activist' guys (It always seems to be guys) are just assholes anyway. They all pile on if you say anything.

The council in their infinite wisdom did away with half the loading bays in the city so if a fella is throwing a few kegs somewhere or crisps into Centra you have these fellas taking photos and posting them on social media.

A right shower of gobshites.

I cycle and I make damn sure I keep in to leave traffic past, in other words the 'reasonable consideration ' they are by law to give. Gardai would want to start issuing these 40 euro fixed charges to deal with these oafs.

I don't understand the angst between motorists and cyclists at all. Apart from SoundY who seems to suffer a close on collision caused by a cyclist every time he gets in his model-t, how many times has a cyclist caused a motoring incident that you were directly involved in? How many here have been directly involved in an accident caused by a motorist?

There are absolute dickheads on bikes who will cycle in the middle of the road and hold up traffic just like this fella, and I doubt a journey in my car ever goes by without me seeing a motorist do something really stupid. Ce la vie, there are morons all around us. People need to relax a bit and everyone will be safer as a result.

That righttocycle guy seems to target older fellas and women. A motorbike Garda on Georges Quay wouldn't be long putting manners on him.

40 quid of a fixed charge for a cyclist not taking reasonable consideration may not seem much but he has 3 or 4 hundred quids worth on his Twitter.

Don't think he'll be fined because there'd be a march of the outraged MAMILs. But I think the local superintendant will have a word and warn him as to his road behaviour.

The guy is going to cause a serious accident some day.

Don't think he'll be fined because there'd be a march of the outraged MAMILs. But I think the local superintendant will have a word and warn him as to his road behaviour.

The guy is going to cause a serious accident some day.

Since 2015 Gardaí have the power to stop cyclists and fine them for specific fixed charge cycling offences. Gardaí can fine cyclists for the following offences:

-No front or rear light during lighting-up hours
-Riding a bicycle without reasonable consideration
-Failing to stop for a school warden sign
-Failing to stop at traffic lights when the red lamp is lit
-Failing to stop at cycle traffic lights when the red lamp is lit
-Failing to stop at a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing
-Cycling in a pedestrianised street or area

The fine for these offences is €40. If you receive a fixed charge notice, you have 28 days from the date of the issue of the fixed charge notice to pay the fine. If it is not paid within 28 days, the charge is increased by 50%. If it is not paid within 56 days then court proceedings are initiated (and payment will no longer be accepted).

Seems pretty straight forward to me. If driving I run a red light or drive 65 in a 50k zone, I'm going to get caught for 80 quid and 3 points. If these guys commit the above they should be issued with fines. It wouldn't be long getting them to exercise some care on the road.

I don't understand the angst between motorists and cyclists at all. Apart from SoundY who seems to suffer a close on collision caused by a cyclist every time he gets in his model-t, how many times has a cyclist caused a motoring incident that you were directly involved in? How many here have been directly involved in an accident caused by a motorist?

There are absolute dickheads on bikes who will cycle in the middle of the road and hold up traffic just like this fella, and I doubt a journey in my car ever goes by without me seeing a motorist do something really stupid. Ce la vie, there are morons all around us. People need to relax a bit and everyone will be safer as a result.

A cyclist came through a cross and collided with the front of my car as I was turning right.

She was prosecuted and got a 200 euro fine.

I was left with a bill to replace my bonnet.

It's grand to say you 'need to relax' but dangerous asshats like that fella are a menace on the road and are breaking S.40 of the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations act, 1997.

It should be enforced, which in turn would lead to everyone having a more pleasant experience on the roads.

A cyclist came through a cross and collided with the front of my car as I was turning right.

She was prosecuted and got a 200 euro fine.

I was left with a bill to replace my bonnet.

It's grand to say you 'need to relax' but dangerous asshats like that fella are a menace on the road and are breaking S.40 of the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations act, 1997.

It should be enforced, which in turn would lead to everyone having a more pleasant experience on the roads.

I presume the reason you had to pay is because she was essentially uninsured and therefore you'd have to pursue through the courts for costs? If it was her fault and she had any decency she would have paid

Enforcing fines against cyclists is fine, I have no issue with it, but if I had a choice with how Garda resources are deployed I would put them enforcing fines for motorists running red lights. Everyone knows the Garda are no longer bothered by it so at least 1 car runs the light at most junctions I am at in my car or on my bike.. drives me fucking nuts as all they have achieved is joining the next queue of traffic whilst endangering everyone around them. Why we dont have an automated camera/fine system is beyond me, it would surely pay itself off in no time

I presume the reason you had to pay is because she was essentially uninsured and therefore you'd have to pursue through the courts for costs? If it was her fault and she had any decency she would have paid

Enforcing fines against cyclists is fine, I have no issue with it, but if I had a choice with how Garda resources are deployed I would put them enforcing fines for motorists running red lights. Everyone knows the Garda are no longer bothered by it so at least 1 car runs the light at most junctions I am at in my car or on my bike.. drives me fucking nuts as all they have achieved is joining the next queue of traffic whilst endangering everyone around them. Why we dont have an automated camera/fine system is beyond me, it would surely pay itself off in no time

Erra I wasn't going to pursue it. Was just relieved she wasn't seriously hurt.
The Garda decided to take her to court for dangerous cycling.

I would like to see dangerous cycling pursued with the same vigour as dangerous motorists. If you get a fine you are far less likely to repeat the same offence.

Jackasses like that aggressive nutter @righttocyle are dangerous, it's only a matter of time before he causes a serious incident. The least that should happen to him is a number of fixed 40 euro fines.

I would say that there are at least 5 cyclist for every motorist running a red light.Cyclist above the age of 12 should have to take out some form of bicycle insurance.

I would say that there are at least 5 cyclist for every motorist running a red light.Cyclist above the age of 12 should have to take out some form of bicycle insurance.

I would dispute that completely BluesY, in fact I am certain it is the other way around at a rate of about 3:1. They did a pilot in Dublin a few years back at a busy junction and the results backed up my experience. The common approach to motorists I see seems to be:

amber = accelerate
red = first car through is grand, possibly a 2nd as well if he's almost in the boot of the 1st car

Edit: found it, 2:1 as opposed to 3:1:

A pilot project that saw detection cameras installed at a dangerous Dublin junction has revealed motorists broke the lights more than twice as often as cyclists.

And before fines were introduced for drivers, their rate of offending was even higher.

In the period before the fines, some 87 per cent of people breaking the lights were driving vehicles.

New figures, for a near 18-month period, reveal that when fines were introduced for drivers, their rate of offending dropped off.

During the full near 18-month period of the trial, some 32 per cent of red light offenders were on bicycles and 68 per cent were in vehicles.

Despite the success of the cameras – in making detections, issuing fines and bringing about a drop in the number of drivers breaking the lights – there appear to be no plans to replicate the system at other junctions.

I would dispute that completely BluesY, in fact I am certain it is the other way around at a rate of about 3:1. They did a pilot in Dublin a few years back at a busy junction and the results backed up my experience. The common approach to motorists I see seems to be:

amber = accelerate
red = first car through is grand, possibly a 2nd as well if he's almost in the boot of the 1st car

Its not a contest.

A cyclist breaking a red light is commiting an offence. They should be fined the 40 euros under the law.

If a law isn't enforced then it is going to be broken willy nilly.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Spare Parts

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11:30pm

More events ▼