Cyclists

I would dispute that completely BluesY, in fact I am certain it is the other way around at a rate of about 3:1. They did a pilot in Dublin a few years back at a busy junction and the results backed up my experience. The common approach to motorists I see seems to be:

amber = accelerate
red = first car through is grand, possibly a 2nd as well if he's almost in the boot of the 1st car

Edit: found it, 2:1 as opposed to 3:1:
I think you're both right! I cycle in Dublin rush hour traffic, and in Kilkenny random daytime traffic. Motorist behaviour in the Dublin scene is genuinely shocking for people who aren't used to it. Cyclists don't risk running red lights at the big junctions (but a few will have a go at the smaller ones), but motorists do what de_Mange_Y describes at every junction, almost without fail. It goes without saying that the latter is significantly more dangerous.

In the KK scenario, I'd see cyclists sailing through the lights often enough, while motorists obey the lights. I'd rarely see the style of Dublin red light-breaking from cars elsewhere.

I think you're both right! I cycle in Dublin rush hour traffic, and in Kilkenny random daytime traffic. Motorist behaviour in the Dublin scene is genuinely shocking for people who aren't used to it. Cyclists don't risk running red lights at the big junctions (but a few will have a go at the smaller ones), but motorists do what de_Mange_Y describes at every junction, almost without fail. It goes without saying that the latter is significantly more dangerous.

In the KK scenario, I'd see cyclists sailing through the lights often enough, while motorists obey the lights. I'd rarely see the style of Dublin red light-breaking from cars elsewhere.

hows it going JeepY bah?

yeah, maybe its a location thing. I can never figure out how there are not more accidents because of it. I dunno, when all you have to do is push a few pedals to make a car move I really dont understand why motorists feel the need to break the lights all of the time. On the bike momentum is the big factor that urges you to want to keep going

Which would you rather be hit by? A cyclist or a motorist breaking a red light?

Doesn't matter a shit.

You don't get to pick and choose which laws you obey.

A cyclist running a light is just as likely to cause a serious accident.

Highlighting the lack of enforcement of cycling laws doesn't automatically necessitate some kneejerk car/bike top trumps.

Doesn't matter a shit.

You don't get to pick and choose which laws you obey.

You hiding under a rock? People are picking a choosing which laws to break everyday of the week. Recent survey shows that 98% of motorists break the speed limit in 30km zones, are they not picking and choosing which laws to obey? 98% - pretty much nearly every person who gets behind the wheel of car.

One has more of a chance of killing you. That matters a shit.

You hiding under a rock? People are picking a choosing which laws to break everyday of the week.

Lol, try that line of argument in front of a judge sometime. Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Usual cyclist line of response to breaking the law, 'but but cars....'.

The law wrt to cycling should be enforced. It would undoubtedly lead to a safer experience on the road for everyone.

Lol, try that line of argument in front of a judge sometime. Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Usual cyclist line of response to breaking the law, 'but but cars....'.

The law wrt to cycling should be enforced. It would undoubtedly lead to a safer experience on the road for everyone.

When it gets to court, let the court deal with it.

They'd want to start enforcing the laws on everyone but I don't see cyclists going out killing 2-3 people a week on our roads. It's blatantly obvious that the biggest danger on our roads is motorists.

When it gets to court, let the court deal with it.

They'd want to start enforcing the laws on everyone but I don't see cyclists going out killing 2-3 people a week on our roads. It's blatantly obvious that the biggest danger on our roads is motorists.

'But but cars'.

Pathetic response.

The laws of the land apply to everyone my dear man. A couple of fixed charge notices and you might show some respect to them.

Cue more whataboutery.

'But but cars'.

Pathetic response.

The laws of the land apply to everyone my dear man. A couple of fixed charge notices and you might show some respect to them.

Cue more whataboutery.

Who said the law of the land doesn't apply to everyone? There's zero enforcement, that's the problem. I've no problem with cyclist getting fines but it's like the wild west on the roads, everyone can do whatever the fuck they want.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cardinals
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

26th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼