Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Ah Jesus lads how long are we going to blame Frank for, the Stadium is a different issue FFS. how many U20's have we won . Where are all these players. We are stuck with a nucleus who have not won anything at Minor/U20/21 and Senior.

But listen few lads here are ok with another loss and scraping through Munster and getting the old EGO Boost out against Carlow.

Funny how the narrative is the we don't have the players. Killenny haven't had the players either for a few years. They've still made 3 AI finals in the last 5 years.
We don’t have the players I believe. The results very clearly show that.
It’s 19 years since Cork last won an All Ireland.
Since then many all Ireland’s have Kilkenny won? Eight I think
And they made about another 4 finals.
So, comparing Cork with Kilkenny nowadays is a bit of a joke really..
I hate saying this but a big part of our problem in Cork is we don’t know we have a problem.

Excellent synopsis of last week from Michael Vurney & Shane Stapleton (go to 43 mins), they're miles ahead of the rest. Stapleton (very anti-Cork usually) felt Cork were robbed interestingly. They don't pull the punches re the 3 lads in the forward line. 10 shots from the the trio in the first half - 9 wides and 1 point. It killed us.

I think our best side right now to expose Clare on Sunday doesn't have any of that trio. I think PR will pick 2 of them this evening. I'd say there is serious sway held by Harnedy and Hoggie in this set-up. What seem like obvious selections to all of us watching on become complicated in that environment. Lehane should have come off before Twomey; Hoggie should have come off before Harnedy.

The weakness for Clare is in the full back line. Cleary is just a wrestler. Hogan is excellent, but whether it's Leen or Hayes or Flanagan in the other corner it's an opportunity for Cork. Hogan did very well on Robbie in the league; Cleary will likely just try and grapple Connolly for as long as he can get away with it. We have really take advantage of that final match-up though - that's where 2 or 3 goals can come from.

Conlon is slowing down also so straight down the middle with Fitzgibbon / TOM is also an opportunity. We have to have our big lads on their wing forwards; probably R Downey on Fitzgerald and E Downey on Duggan. SOD on SOD. Millerick on Kelly, although Kelly will probably start at 11 and try and pull Joyce out of position.

So what's the right approach up front? I've been critical of him in the past but JOC has been looking really sharp, he's a confidence player and built for fast ground. He would be a curve ball that would cause huge problems for Clare. Darragh has to go to the half forward line - we will lose the physical battle in midfield otherwise, and he'd cause Conlon a headache in terms of how much Conlon could protect the full back line. [By right, Ben Cunningham should be starting for us at this stage - he's a top class forward and better than Twomey, Harnedy etc. in that half forward line no question - but that just ain't happening is it]

I'd go with

PC
SOD v SOD--------Cahalane v Rogers------Millerick v McCarthy
ED v Duggan-------Joyce v Kelly----------R Downey v Fitzgerald

Coleman v Morey----TOM v Malone

Dalton v McInerney-----Fitz v Conlon-------ROF v Ryan
JOC v Hogan----------Connolly v Cleary----Barrett v Flanagan

I expect the mgmt team will only make 2 changes vs last Sunday:
-> ED and Dalton in; Twomey and Lehane out
-> Darragh to 11; Coleman to 9
Brilliant post Morello

Funny how the narrative is the we don't have the players. Killenny haven't had the players either for a few years. They've still made 3 AI finals in the last 5 years.
Maybe because they are automatically in an AI QF/SF due to the dearth of competition in Leinster & tailor their season accordingly.
Gives them a focus and target early doors, no team in Munster has that luxury.
Clare imploded in different ways both times they met them in the SF.
Their battering by Limerick in last year's final does suggest that they do not have the players to win an AI when Limerick are still in their pomp.

Limerick finished strong but I wouldn’t call it a battering. But your right Leinster is like a warm up for them. Even this weekends match is just a rehearsal for the Leinster final

I agree with the sentiment by the way, we have enough good players to be doing better than we are… and there are better alternatives to last weeks selection. We just don’t have any ‘best in their position in the country’ type of lads, Joyce maybe.

Out of interest, if you had to make a combined team from Cork and Clare what would it be? Based on individual player ability. Interesting to see how many from each team. Imo:
Collins
Hogan. Cahalane. SOD
Ryan. Joyce. Mcinerney
Malone. Coleman
Fitzgerald. Kelly. Barrett
McCarthy . SOD. Connolly

7 Cork / 8 Clare

I agree with the sentiment by the way, we have enough good players to be doing better than we are… and there are better alternatives to last weeks selection. We just don’t have any ‘best in their position in the country’ type of lads, Joyce maybe.

Out of interest, if you had to make a combined team from Cork and Clare what would it be? Based on individual player ability. Interesting to see how many from each team. Imo:
Collins
Hogan. Cahalane. SOD
Ryan. Joyce. Mcinerney
Malone. Coleman
Fitzgerald. Kelly. Barrett
McCarthy . SOD. Connolly

7 Cork / 8 Clare
Very Generous to Leeside there. VERY.

We haven’t had an All Star since 2019 and deservedly so. No player has played himself into All Star territory for Cork, Joyce included. Until that changes we won’t go too far.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Amigo The Devil
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

21st Jul 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Gilbert Steele

The Pav, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼