Cork Hurlers - Part 2

He's a WUM and can't reply in a civil manner so I replied accordingly. I won't be entertaining him again.

I think the 15k Cork and Waterford fans (€375k x 2 games depending on opposition) who miss out is the main issue...I'm not so worried about the Munster council itself although the lost revenue might impact on grants clubs get later? But that's a separate topic tbf.

The attendance at Cork vs Waterford in the Pairc was about 30k I'd guess....its a big step down for this year.

If the game was in Thurles you'd get a similar crowd imo.

Saying that Waterford are certainly entitled to home advantage but its worth noting the impact that has on attendances at games and finances which ultimately will be trickling down to clubs.
He is a wum, but his comment was relevant (albeit, as usual, lacking charm).

It's not ideal that fans miss out on a live game, sure. But imo this is clearly trumped by (as far as possible) allocating home advantage equally. The fans who can't go can watch at home and will have opportunities to go to other live games.

Fwiw, I'd be sceptical you'd get 30,000 or so at Semple for an opening round robin match Vs Waterford.

Disappointing that Shane Kingston has picked up an injury but at least it doesn't seem as if he will miss all of the games in Munster because of it, although it is better to err on the side of caution with hamstring injuries.
On a positive note, as mentioned by Shane, this creates an opportunity for someone else and I don't think I have ever seen a stronger Cork squad when you are gone past the first 18-20 players. Even more hopeful is that these are young players getting better and stronger all the time.

I think most of us would have a similar team in mind based on what we have seen so far this year. I think that the would be as many as thirteen of the same players in most peoples team which does show some stability and that is a good thing.

However, I would caution us all that the team will probably be picked on form and fitness over the last three to four weeks up to championship and when you consider that Mark Coleman and ROF may also be in the mix then the team becomes a little more uncertain.

I THINK that if asked to pick the team today , I would pick.

PC
ED DC SOD
GM CJ RD

MC TOC

DD DF ST
ROF AC SB

However, there are probably half a dozen players that could be switched in or out which would not weaken that team at all.
Obviously, this depends on fitness and availability.
It's probably a very good shout on a possible team or at least a very feasible team in 2024.

The main worry I think the selectors have is if the team above has an off day who is the forward who is going to put up 7 or 8 points from play like Hoggie or Lehane might have done in the past on their day. (Past tense important here).

You really need that team as whole to be extremely consistent and the scoring contribution be distributed across the front 8.

We all hope that the likes of Connolly or Barrett etc will become a high scoring forward but it's not a guarantee yet.

We need some of those very good players named in that team to become great players while getting a consistent contribution from the others. I believe it will happen soon.

I can't see Seán Twomey replacing Séamie on the HF line just yet. Harnedy contributes a lot more to the scoreboard.
Big call to make on Robbie's readiness. Hoggy could lose out. If push comes to shove I'd start Hoggy and bring Robbie on.
If Coleman is hurling and moving well I'd have him midfield.
I've gone with Niall over Ger for this game as I feel Niall is better at working the ball out, which we will need for Waterford. Ger's aggression will be needed, however, against Clare.
Eoin Downey is a more natural halfback than he is a roving 2. He is a certain starter in my eyes.
My 15 for Waterford:
Collins
NOL Cahalane SOD
ED Joyce RD
TOC Coleman
DD Fitz Harnedy
ROF/Hoggy Connolly Barrett

I'm more interested to see if Ryan &* Co are more ruthless with changes and subs this year

We were badly caught out there last year

Painfully slow to make positional switches and subs

The decision to return TOC in Ennis is still baffling and was the losing of the game
Couldn't agree more.

I can't see Seán Twomey replacing Séamie on the HF line just yet. Harnedy contributes a lot more to the scoreboard.
Big call to make on Robbie's readiness. Hoggy could lose out. If push comes to shove I'd start Hoggy and bring Robbie on.
If Coleman is hurling and moving well I'd have him midfield.
I've gone with Niall over Ger for this game as I feel Niall is better at working the ball out, which we will need for Waterford. Ger's aggression will be needed, however, against Clare.
Eoin Downey is a more natural halfback than he is a roving 2. He is a certain starter in my eyes.
My 15 for Waterford:
Collins
NOL Cahalane SOD
ED Joyce RD
TOC Coleman
DD Fitz Harnedy
ROF/Hoggy Connolly Barrett
As I said there are a number of interchangeable players.
I do think however that Seamus as an impact sub for the last twenty minutes of a game would be very influential.

Disappointing that Shane Kingston has picked up an injury but at least it doesn't seem as if he will miss all of the games in Munster because of it, although it is better to err on the side of caution with hamstring injuries.
On a positive note, as mentioned by Shane, this creates an opportunity for someone else and I don't think I have ever seen a stronger Cork squad when you are gone past the first 18-20 players. Even more hopeful is that these are young players getting better and stronger all the time.

I think most of us would have a similar team in mind based on what we have seen so far this year. I think that the would be as many as thirteen of the same players in most peoples team which does show some stability and that is a good thing.

However, I would caution us all that the team will probably be picked on form and fitness over the last three to four weeks up to championship and when you consider that Mark Coleman and ROF may also be in the mix then the team becomes a little more uncertain.

I THINK that if asked to pick the team today , I would pick.

PC
ED DC SOD
GM CJ RD

MC TOC

DD DF ST
ROF AC SB

However, there are probably half a dozen players that could be switched in or out which would not weaken that team at all.
Obviously, this depends on fitness and availability.
Harnedy will start instead of Twomey and Hoggy will start instead of Robbie.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Big Daddy Can

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼