Cork Hurlers - Part 2

What shit talk of Joyce & Coleman been similar players. Both skillfull and fast but thats it. Joyce may not be huge but is much more physical and alot strongef for his weight with more agression when needed. Coleman got roasted for bad tracking in an U21 final where Joyce had the versatility to go Fullback and win U20. I wouldn't be pulling Joyce out of Centre back either as he solved Corks biggest problem of getting opened down the centre up until League final against Waterford. Joyce may have to play zonal at times but has a natural tracking ethic where it was proven Coleman doesn't.

Coleman to mid field surely with old Downey to wing back. At present Tommy is just about holding the second midfield spot. Leave Mellerick at 5 and Eoin Downey in the corner. Collins in goal so that’s 1-9 sorted. FF line currently is probably Jack, Hoggy and Hayes with Hoggy perhaps alternating with Connolly/Harnedy after 40 minutes. That leaves the ever problematic half forward line - dogs of war territory.!!! Subject to recovery from injury I’d be looking at Dalton, Fitzy, Tim/Twomey.

Off the bench Robbie, Barrett, Ethan, and the various alternatives above.

A very very poor game of hurling today lads played by two teams who seriously lacked intensity and not helped by an overly finicky ref.

A win is a win but I'm very worried about our form. I have absolutely no idea what our game plan is and if anything today was a regression on the previous 2 games. In the last 15 minutes we played with no half forward line. Our puck out strategy was a shambles, our touch off. Some lads in my opinion were only making a token effort at tracking back and tackling.

On individual performances I thought Jack O Connor and Ger Millerick were our two best players. I also thought Eoin Downey and Brian Hayes did fine although I thought Hayes tired in the last 15 mins. I also thought Damien Cahalane did fine in terms of his defending and positioning although his distribution was notably and understandably rusty.

After that I failed to see too many other brightspots. There's a reason why few if any 20 or 21 year olds play in goals for intercounty teams and Saunderson had a steep learning curve there today, I expect him to learn a lot from it but Pa Collins has to remain as our number 1 for the time being.
Cathal Mccarthy is a lovely hurler in space but I'd have serious concerns about his ability to defend or to read danger. Too much lateral passing or passing to a marked team mate but he wasn't the only one guilty of it. O Donaghue and Coleman also weren't at the races either which is very disappointing considering the experience they have.

In midfield I thought Tommy showed well in patches and worked relatively hard and is worth persevering with there. Twomey looked sharp in the 8 minutes he played so was very disappointing to see him have to leave the action. Roche replaced him and was completely anonymous. His form is a major concern and hard to see him make the championship 15 at this rate.

Harnedy looked rusty. Lehane very good in the 20 mins after half time and it was very noticeable that our forward line completely disappeared when he went off. Barrett was very frustrating. He works like a dog and gets into good positions but his tackle technique is poor so gives away too many frees and his shooting is not good enough. He was the same last year. Like what is Pat Ryan and Co doing to improve these aspects of Shane's play because he could be such a big player for us if they were sorted.
I thought Hoggy was patchy again this week. Same as the last 2 games.
Shane Kingston was very poor when introduced again.

At this stage I wouldn't be 100% we can go to both Tullamore and Wexford and get the points we need to play top level league hurling next Spring.
It's only the league but I'm very deflated by the inconsistencies in our performances. As I mentioned earlier I just cannot see what we are trying to do, we run at teams and blow them away for 20 mins then we spend 50 mins passing backwards and laterally around our defence going nowhere.

Couldn't figure that one out.

Ryan doesn't appear to have learnt a lot in terms of in game management since last year.

Hard to tell from the league but letting Wahterfurd back into that one was desperate.

Hayes is a proper target man, strong out and a good paw

Delighted for JOC, brilliant goal
I would slightly disagree with you on this. I was really impressed with Hayes yesterday, he was a threat all the time and looked very lively and willing to go at his man. However, for a big man I don't think he offers a lot physically or in the air. I think this is what we hoped for when he picked hurling but for such a big man, he doesn't offer that unfortunately.
I would say that is the reason why we see him at 13 rather than at 10 or 14.

Coleman to mid field surely with old Downey to wing back. At present Tommy is just about holding the second midfield spot. Leave Mellerick at 5 and Eoin Downey in the corner. Collins in goal so that’s 1-9 sorted. FF line currently is probably Jack, Hoggy and Hayes with Hoggy perhaps alternating with Connolly/Harnedy after 40 minutes. That leaves the ever problematic half forward line - dogs of war territory.!!! Subject to recovery from injury I’d be looking at Dalton, Fitzy, Tim/Twomey.

Off the bench Robbie, Barrett, Ethan, and the various alternatives above.
That's the obvious thing but will the management try it?

Our best backline currently is
ED DC SOD
GM CJ RD

Don't think there is better options than that personally. I believe TOC will hold onto a spot in midfield, the other position is really up for grabs especially with Roche out of form. Likely to be one of Meade or Twomey there?

Could be shot for asking this but I think it’s worthy of some discussion. Is there a place in the starting 15 for Coleman? Other posters are correct that his is tacking is not the strongest part of his game so given that I’d be slow to play him midfield.

I don’t think he’s strong enough defensively for wing back. Do we change our style to fit him in because his distribution and skill are top notch? For me he’d make a good sweeper.

I would slightly disagree with you on this. I was really impressed with Hayes yesterday, he was a threat all the time and looked very lively and willing to go at his man. However, for a big man I don't think he offers a lot physically or in the air. I think this is what we hoped for when he picked hurling but for such a big man, he doesn't offer that unfortunately.
I would say that is the reason why we see him at 13 rather than at 10 or 14.
Would tend to agree with that - he caught one over fanning who's about 5'9 and 12.5st, arguably should have shown more aggression / strength to break past him even though it was an obvious cynical foul.

He did great though overall , his last point showed great wrists and awareness to get the shot away in such a tight space.

JOC was really good. He'll always get on ball, particularly when given a roving brief like yesterday. Difference yesterday was accuracy. His eye was in and he deservedly got a decent haul. At his best he's a real problem for other teams, don't think there's a faster player in the country.

As with a few of our forwards, poor enough tackle technique, they make it way too easy for refs to raise the hand. More video analysis of mulcahy and casey lads - 2 small lads that make more effective tackles than the entire cork forward division. Hoggie was better in this respect yesterday unusually, his touch was way off.

Could be shot for asking this but I think it’s worthy of some discussion. Is there a place in the starting 15 for Coleman? Other posters are correct that his is tacking is not the strongest part of his game so given that I’d be slow to play him midfield.

I don’t think he’s strong enough defensively for wing back. Do we change our style to fit him in because his distribution and skill are top notch? For me he’d make a good sweeper.
Coleman has to start, he's outrageously talented. He's well able to tackle.
Midfield is glaringly obvious at this stage for a bunch of reasons. Would be really excited to see himself and Joyce tried as a combination there. The backline options are there to cover it.

Next league game

ED ER SOD
DC RD GM

CJ MC

TOM DF SH
JOC AC SB

I enjoyed the under 20 game more than the senior game which I thought was poor.
The issues we have are the ones we have had for some years . In my opinion you cannot have Horgan, Lehane and O Connor all on the pitch at the same time.
I thought Jack O Connor had a fine return to form and delighted to see it, Lehane did some good things but is just not physical enough at this level or involved enough either in my opinion, at one stage in the first half I had forgotten he was even playing .
I thought Seamus was quiet in the first half but was excellent in the second half when he went more central , unlike a lot here I thought Shane Barett had a good game throughout , worked hard, won a lot of ball and laid it off well. I also thought Brian Hayes was much more involved and did well.

At the back I thought that Saunderson still has a bit to go before he is ready to replace Collins.
Cathal McCarthy won't be unhappy with his performance but in my opinion is nowhere near the team.
I thought Cahalane was his usual solid self and Eoin Downey did well when he replaced Sean O Donoghue( who I hope is alright, he didn't look injured as he left the pitch.

Millerick was my motm, Joyce did well but maybe not his usual commanding performance and although Mark Coleman played well I think we have better options at wing back.

I thought our midfield was poor and Ethan Twomey was a loss when he went off. Tommy O Connell was not as effective as in previous games and Brian Roche has not yet recaptured the form we saw from him last year.

I am not sure if any of the subs got a chance to make a real impact but good to see Alan Connolly back and looking fit.

Not a great day out to be honest.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

King K

Clancys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼