Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Couple of positives from yesterday. Hayes played well, JOC played very well. Pitch time for Harnedy and Connolly. Oh and not to forget winning and getting the points.

The game itself was awful, like a practice game. Again, important to remember its a league game in February, but I'm not sure the pick of both teams would have beaten Limerick Saturday night.
Every game is different, no point in trying to compare one with the other.
I think we run the risk on here of being a bit disrespectful to Waterford. They are a strong hurling county with some very good players.
They should have beaten Limerick last year and did beat Tipp.

Hey North Cork.
You're an excellent poster on here.
Were you at the game? I watched on tv and I know to do a full analysis, its best to be here and then watch on tv after.

I have to question your Coleman and Barrett playing well. Maybe its the tv vs being there impact.
Coleman, as I watched on tv, was bang average as explained in an earlier post. Our defenders have to be able to defend and Coleman is not a man marking blocking, hooking wing back like Mellerick or Downey. I wish he was because his skill level on form is crazy high.
Barrett worked damn hard, won alot of ball, all positive, the negative which us frustrating is giving anyway too many fees and poor shooting. He should have nailed his 2 shoots for points in 2nd half but didnt. His shooting must improve hasnt really improve since his fominant u20 performances.
CF82.
I was there for both games.

We need to realise that if you play Mark Coleman at wing back you expect a different type of game from him than other players in that position. He has never been a defensive wing back as the excellent Millerick on the other wing. I did say that I think as good as Coleman is that we have better options at no. 7. I did however think he did quite well and influenced the game.
I would love to see Coleman and O Connell get an extended run at midfield.

Regarding Shane Barrett, I think he gets through an amount of work in a game, he gets on the ball a lot but is constantly working hard, chasing down players , trying to get blocks in and we need more of these players in the team. He also sets up scores for others and had only one wide yesterday that I can remember. I also think he will further improve as he settles into the team. He would certainly be in my six forwards most days for what he brings to the team.

Just grateful they won yesterday. Losing would have been gut wrenching and for all Pat Ryan's strong hints that he doesn't give a shit about the league, like winning, losing is a habit too. We needed that.

Could be shot for asking this but I think it’s worthy of some discussion. Is there a place in the starting 15 for Coleman? Other posters are correct that his is tacking is not the strongest part of his game so given that I’d be slow to play him midfield.

I don’t think he’s strong enough defensively for wing back. Do we change our style to fit him in because his distribution and skill are top notch? For me he’d make a good sweeper.
I too worry about Mark at 7, I think himself and Tommy would make a good midfield pair and hopefully it will be looked at in the next two games.

But even more I I think we waste Ciaran Joyce playing as a sweeping center back. Now I don’t think we should be playing a sweeper anyway but as long as we are would it benefit us more to play Mark at 6 and Ciaran at 8 where his robust style and bursting runs would really benefit us.

Now that sounds like I’ve lost my mind given what happened 2 years ago but once mark don’t be playing sideways and backward passes it might work. But that’s a lot of ifs

Good news (ROF the only expected injury for Offaly game) from the echo PR interview:

Cork lost Ethan Twomey and captain Seán O’Donoghue to hamstring injuries in the first half, but Ryan doesn’t expect either to be out for a sustained period and it’s likely that Robbie O’Flynn will be the only other player out for the trip to Offaly in a fortnight.

Having so many players at his disposal will make for some tough calls for Ryan and his selectors.

“I think we’ve a very competitive panel,” he said, “I think 29 players have got starts in the first three league games.

“Over the next few weeks, we’ll be trying to get a settled 15 for both the Offaly game and the Wexford game and take it from there.”
That's good news. ET doesn't seem so bad. Could be MF option come ch'ship

I too worry about Mark at 7, I think himself and Tommy would make a good midfield pair and hopefully it will be looked at in the next two games.

But even more I I think we waste Ciaran Joyce playing as a sweeping center back. Now I don’t think we should be playing a sweeper anyway but as long as we are would it benefit us more to play Mark at 6 and Ciaran at 8 where his robust style and bursting runs would really benefit us.

Now that sounds like I’ve lost my mind given what happened 2 years ago but once mark don’t be playing sideways and backward passes it might work. But that’s a lot of ifs
Please no

Regarding Shane Barrett, I think he gets through an amount of work in a game, he gets on the ball a lot but is constantly working hard, chasing down players , trying to get blocks in and we need more of these players in the team. He also sets up scores for others and had only one wide yesterday that I can remember. I also think he will further improve as he settles into the team. He would certainly be in my six forwards most days for what he brings to the team.
Interesting. I watched on TV so different perspective maybe. I'd say he failed to lift the sliotar more often than not when he was in a position to, so we turned over a huge amount of ball in his area. The game was an absolute mess around him which could be seen in a positive light I suppose, bull in a china shop stuff! His tackle technique draws far too many fouls as others have pointed out already. I wouldn't worry too much about his shooting yesterday, that could be nerves as much as anything else at this stage

He's a fella I hope succeeds though because we need a few dogs and he's definitely in that mould

Every game is different, no point in trying to compare one with the other.
I think we run the risk on here of being a bit disrespectful to Waterford. They are a strong hurling county with some very good players.
They should have beaten Limerick last year and did beat Tipp.
Completely agree. They’ll fancy their chances of beating us in Walsh Park.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Centre Stage School Footworks 2024

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼