Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Just watched the recording now as I wasn't sure on few things coming home.
Downey stitched Gleeson up like a kipper
Joyce is growing in to his role faster than anyone could have expected, thankfully
Harnedy and Lehane were immense,
The only negative, well two really from being at the game and it didn't come across on TV was the space in front of Connolly and Hoggie, Harnedy (at different stages) that we never exploited in the first half. There were goals there with a bit of composure out the field with the final ball.
Now my second negative is Coleman (probably won't go down well but it is what is is), I saw posts complaining about Cahalane giving the ball away which he did but the amount of hospital passes, backward passes he (Coleman) gives is frightening.

Last edited:
Two more things I forgot to add, one on NOL, Gleeson was constantly niggling him and he never reacted. He needs to show a bit more bite. The second is ROF, he stood still after Kiely passed him to score the rebound.
I was surprised that ROFs poor defending wasn't commented on. He totally switched off. I thought it might have been a defender on 1st viewing

But Cork were totally focused in the 2nd half - They showed Meade & Kingston tracking back like demons on TSG.

I'd imagine the video analysis on Monday Evening will be interesting. I fully expect Cork to show 100% effort from the off, next Sunday but it's impossible to call the result

Just watched the recording now as I wasn't sure on few things coming home.
Downey stitched Gleeson up like a kipper
Joyce is growing in to his role faster than anyone could have expected, thankfully
Harnedy and Lehane were immense,
The only negative, well two really from being at the game and it didn't come across on TV was the space in front of Connolly and Hoggie, Harnedy (at different stages) that we never exploited in the first half. There were goals there with a bit of composure out the field with the final ball.
Now my second negative is Coleman (probably won't go down well but it is what is is), I saw posts complaining about Cahalane giving the ball away which he did but the amount of hospital passes, backward passes he (Coleman) gives is frightening.
Said the same thing earlier about Coleman, someone needs to have a chat with him
Two more things I forgot to add, one on NOL, Gleeson was constantly niggling him and he never reacted. He needs to show a bit more bite. The second is ROF, he stood still after Kiely passed him to score the rebound.
At the game I presumed it was Joyce or Coleman who stood like a statue for Kiely’s goal but saw on tv later it was Robbie, happens way too much with him but it was totally inexcusable and shows why he should be in the inside foward line not wing foward

Very good postings. The only thing I'd like to add is kieran Kingston setting the tone from the sideline greatly helps......backed the players 100% and was aggressive when needed with the officials....helps to keep the ref honest....

So can we take it that both schools of thought were correct? We need to play lads in the right position AND we need to play like demons?

No. Never happened to Canning that he was subbed for being ineffective, even on his last day, to the very last minute he was leading the charge.
I didn't mean that he was subbed for being ineffective, I meant that the legs went and his performances were not of the required standard. Canning was quite poor for Galway over the past 2 seasons. Flashes of sheer brilliance yes but by and large he was a passenger towards the end last year.

Indeed one of the only greats I can recall going out on top of his game without ever really dropping in standard was JJ Delaney. But even at that I heard him say in an interview he just knew the body wasn't able anymore and he was only clinging on terrified of getting a roasting.

Of course, and play the right style of hurling, I’ve been pilloried on here (mostly by premier league fan boys 😀) for saying this for years. Great to see a bit of an edge to our play yesterday. But we must repeat that level next week again or we will be gone
So can we take it that both schools of thought were correct? We need to play lads in the right position AND we need to play like demons?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11:50pm

More events ▼