Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Lads did Hoggy become the all time Championship scorer yesterday ?
Going into this past weekend games i read on the Cork web site that Canning had 567 total points, Shefflin 565, Hoggy 561, and TJ Reid is also gone into the over 500 points total 511
A great honour for Hoggy in fairnss to him but will TJ close in on Hoggy s total if Hoggy lose s his plac ?

Lads did Hoggy become the all time Championship scorer yesterday ?
Going into this past weekend games i read on the Cork web site that Canning had 567 total points, Shefflin 565, Hoggy 561, and TJ Reid is also gone into the over 500 points total 511
A great honour for Hoggy in fairnss to him but will TJ close in on Hoggy s total if Hoggy lose s his plac ?
There was a lot of false numbers being thrown around all week. He started the season 19 points behind, hit 0-09 against limerick and 0-10 the last day out. He only needed one yesterday

Tbf, on Radio one, he acknowledged that he didn't give Cork a chance today but they showed real fight and spirit and fully deserved the win.
Doubt the likes of Duignan or Cummins would be ready to do similar.

Cummins was OK in fairness to him. And he acknowledged Cork were in last chance saloon and stood up to the test and did well and that the hurling needs Cork in the mix.

Duignan is just a complete and utter bollix who never got over Cork beating Offal in 1984 when he was a little boy and he has held a grudge ever since

Bang
Never seen a shower of loudmouths go mute so quick. I've time for most supporters and enjoy the back and forth slagging but a lot of Waterford fans are rotten.

To be fair I think much of it is down to their recent relative success and their jealousy of Cork's place in the overall pantheon of hurling - I remember when Clare came and won a couple and we played them in a game in Thurles all the yaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhoooos trying to lecture us on "the best full back that ever played the game" and "there's some amount of all-Irelands on the pitch there lads". They had to shut up pretty quick when someone shouted "shur there's more medals won in the Cork management team". And Limerick fans in recent years are at the same, lording it up and talking as though they invented the game and shur Cork only won when they'd no competition in Munster.

As Tom Cashman put it so succinctly in 86 "You have to listen to thunder" 😇

We must drive on and win in Tipp though, or all this will be for naught.

Of course, and play the right style of hurling, I’ve been pilloried on here (mostly by premier league fan boys 😀) for saying this for years. Great to see a bit of an edge to our play yesterday. But we must repeat that level next week again or we will be gone

You've spent the last four weeks slating them. To try and say yesterday was some kind of vindication for your non stop whinging is something else.

Well done to Conor Lehane yesterday, a guy you have said shouldn't even be on the panel

Said the same thing earlier about Coleman, someone needs to have a chat with him

At the game I presumed it was Joyce or Coleman who stood like a statue for Kiely’s goal but saw on tv later it was Robbie, happens way too much with him but it was totally inexcusable and shows why he should be in the inside foward line not wing foward
It was poor alright - he had done 90% of the work to track back as far as his 21 but he just didn't finish it out by tracking Kiely the last 10 yards.
I still wouldn't put him inside because then you lose the run from deep that set up Corks goal - he just switches off from time to time and needs to tighten that up

If you put Flynn in the inside line he doesn’t make the run for the first goal, he has actually up to yesterday been our most consistent forward, did any other defender roar at him to tell him his man was gone ? You can see it was literally a second as he looked at the play and his man was gone,

Nobody should be picked because of their name, the team needs to be picked on form and at the moment that doesn't include Patrick Horgan in my opinion.
I think it would even send the wrong message to the players to see us revert back to a team selection that has not covered itself in glory.

The introduction of TOM galvanised the entire forward line and the same for Shane Kingston. I don't think that can be ignored .

I thought the full back line was very solid yesterday, Downey growing into the role at full back... just let him there now.
Joyce just gets better, what more can be said about him, he has taken to this level of hurling like a duck to water.
Coleman was much better than recently but got caught stupidly a couple of times in possession and coughed up soft points for Waterford but getting back to the player we know he can be.
I thought Damian Cahalane was very good, strong and apart from one badly misplaced pass his distribution was good.
Fitzgibbon had a poor start but really grew into the game and worked far harder than I believe he did in previous games.
Meade was just very good and makes you wonder what the thinking was to exclude him from the previous two games.
I am sometimes critical of the workrate of Robbie O Flynn but I thought he worked much harder at defending yesterday and did really well overall.

Harnedy was clear motm but Lehane prodeuced a performance that reminded us all what a talent he has.

Connolly was excellent and has moved on from being the first man off, a very important player now.
I thought Barrett was unlucky to go so early when others were also struggling at that stage but you you cannot argue with the contribution in attack and defence from Shane Kingston.
Pat Horgan tried hard but really he now is an impact sub in my opinion, a great man to have for the last twenty minutes but not the first.

I don’t agree. Yes maybe coming on off the bench when things open up in last 15 minutes. He still has the incredible skill and wrists but the difference O Mahony made when he came in was huge. Created numerous goal opportunities as a result.

I'd pick O'Mahoney to start but imho it's not a O'Mahoney or Hoggie decision. They can both play. I think at this stage it's probably a Kingston or Hoggie decision. We might get a great half out of both.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼