Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Have had a flick through the last few pages and the negativity is way over the top.

We had a poor performance down in Walsh Park - 6 changes were made and a dramatically improved performance was needed, and that's what we got.

We were playing the 2nd best team in the country (they might prove to the be the best yet this year) and definitely the best attacking team in the country, and I think we were the better team on balance when it was 15v15. Kind of a pointless comment but I genuinely believe that we would have gone on and won it without the sending off.

Just to breakdown the changes first:
Eoin Downey, Niall O'Leary, Tim O'Mahony into the back line and I thought the 3 of them put in huge shifts. I've been critical of NOL but he put in a big performance. Same with ED - he did a great on Aidan MacCarthy overall, great paw and needs to stay in the team. Tim had a real tough one against Duggan, and there was an obvious switch to be made, but I thought he showed his value to the team, we have more fire and aggression as a team when he's on the field.

Ethan Twomey, Dalton, Hayes also did well. Hayes should have done more with a few balls in the first half, Adam Hogan was on top but Dalton was excellent (himself and TOM are our most aggressive players) - we lost something when he went off unfortunately. E Twomey will have got loads out of that - he got on plenty ball, he's a super athlete and he'll keep on getting better.

The pressure was on Hoggie and Harnedy of course after thursday evening's team announcement. Hoggie was excellent. Clare don't have a number 4 (this is going to keep catching them) and Hoggie took advantage. Harnedy did well initially and in fairness he was everywhere but Ryan got on top eventually. But fair fucks to the 2 boys - they both delivered a performance.

So what went right and what went wrong?
The first 45 minutes were exactly what we wanted. We moved the ball quickly, we were looking for the right lads at the right time, we were accurate. Most importantly, we got bodies back to support the full back line and conceded frees when we needed.

Barrett was pulling Conlon all over the place (although he never did the damage that he should have done), Connolly had Cleary on a yellow, Darragh was finding space, Joyce and Rob Downey hurling well. We had the Clare defence in bother and probably should have another 2 goals (the Darragh chance and Barrett chance had to be converted). Work-rate was excellent. Only thing you could fault in the first two thirds of the game were the puc-outs, Collins was under-hitting too many and it kept Clare in the game in that period. Clare weren't playing poorly at all at this stage so I think it's important to note we are at the level required when we're on it.

What went wrong was all preventable in my opinion. We got a bit caught up in that early second half excitement and our half back line and midfield totally lost their shape and followed the Clare half forwards out the field like an u14 team really. It was incredibly difficult for our full back line to manage 1 on 1s in that amount of space. This was totally different to the first half. To compound that we made poor changes. The 2 Roches should have been on the bench and Brian should have replaced Twomey or Dalton, and Eoin (who did really well in Ennis in March) should have replaced SOD (or if you wanted to keep SOD on the pitch, get him out of that full back line and into the middle of the field). You can't go around after Shane O'Donnell and Rodgers on a yellow card.

Those giving out about the second yellow I'd say haven't played in many high intensity matches. It's a split second thing and I think if that's Clare v Limerick reffed by Keenan or KK v Galway reffed by Gordon its either play on or maybe a free, it's a harsh yellow. I've said for ages that SOD shouldn't be in the corner, and I didn't see anything yesterday to change my mind on that but I wouldn't be hard on him for the second yellow. He shouldn't have been on Shane O'Donnell at that stage and it was complete madness leaving him 1v1 on him on several occasions while on a yellow. Watch Limerick playing Shane O'Donnell - they never leave anyone 1v1 on him, they know you need a second defender in there immediately, probably the most dangerous forward in the country along with Gillane.

Other changes didn't work either. ROF is unfit and out of form. Coleman did ok. Meade shouldn't be on the match day panel. There are small changes that are staring us in the face that can make that difference - others have mentioned it already but we need to pick a midfield that help us to concede less. When was the last time you saw a Cork number 8 or 9 getting in a hook to stop a goal, or just making a tackle in our 21?

Clare played some super hurling, and they're missing 2 top players so they are a serious side. We were better than them for a good chunk of it but ultimately we shot ourselves in the foot by not prioritising how we would stop them as the game played out.

Players and management got a lot right yesterday, the players gave absolutely everything, and it was fantastic to see great attacking hurling by Cork down the pairc in a game of the highest quality. Smarter defensive thinking about positioning and personnel would have got us over the line.

Super post as ever Morello - I would agree with the vast majority of it

The knee jerk stuff on here is mainly for ignoring, we were the shot off the crossbar away from a result, and had 20 mins with 14 against a serious side

Our big issue is that we have been continually coming up just a point or two short and unable to bridge that gap. A lot of that comes from the confidence of having won other games in the melting pot, and we are not there. We had that game yesterday and let it slip by not punishing them enough early on.. we created at least 4 or 5 goal scoring opportunities and took 1. Clare took 3 in rapid succession when they got their chances. The ones we added at the end were too late

Shane O Donnell made the right decision in the same way William Buckley did in the u20 match. Both went down as a result of stupid actions by the offending player. Just a pity TAN doesn’t hold O’Donnell accountable in the same way he did with a 19/20 year old lad.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Ffs Buckley bumped Keane, Keane bumped Buckley
Buckley went down

O donnell was running full speed and o donoghue rattled him

Trying to compare them is a bit juvenile

I haven’t overlooked at all at all.
Maybe you don’t understand that in limerick (just like it used to be in Cork) the top minor talent was brought straight into the senior panel.
The back bone of those 2 U21 winning teams were already senior hurlers before they dropped down to 21s.
So that talent wasn’t in turn brought through to senior as you suggest
Your first post did overlook it and another poster replied to you showing what Limerick had won underage.

I understand it perfectly and have given the reason which is the obsession Cork managements have with S&C whereby natural development from minor is ignored. There should be a case of allowing for the year difference from minor but after that it should be a case of if they're good enough they're old enough. I have often stated on here the transition is far too slow from a Cork point of view.

However success at senior level depends greatly on underage success and always did especially in Cork.

James Owens is an absolute joke lads. He ties himself up in knots in every game by going for the controversial 'brave' decision in his own head... one of these refs that loves the limelight. He then gets the sense he might have made a balls of it and it all goes to pot then. He's over-picky for senior championship hurling, and drives huge frustration with all the teams. The penalty decision last year. The Eoin Cody red card this year.

Yesterday he was poor for both teams... don't know how the Clare goal at the end was disallowed or how Hogan fouled Connolly before the Hoggy free - he didn't. I know most on here disagree but for me, the body check by SOD is a free and not a second yellow. There's also a black card / penalty lunge by Rory Hayes (when he's coming back up off the ground) on Horgan... I hate lads on here whinging about referees but this is more about a ref that is consistently below the standard for some time and still getting big games. I really don't understand it. We have only ourselves to blame for the 2 defeats but 2 soft reds in 2 weeks has killed us.

The difference in the next game is going to be unreal. Gordon or Thomas Walsh will leave all of that picky stuff go, whether that suits us or not let's see.

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Ffs Buckley bumped Keane, Keane bumped Buckley
Buckley went down

O donnell was running full speed and o donoghue rattled him

Trying to compare them is a bit juvenile
I tried finding the Buckley incident to double check but couldn’t so can only speak from memory. Buckley and Keane squared up to each other and Keane made a striking motion and Buckley went down and exaggerated the contact.

O Donnell made a beeline for O Donoghue to run full pelt into him and also exaggerated the contact, rolling around and holding his head.

I have no problem saying the Cork player made the most out of it to get the Clare player sent off. It’s a pity you can’t do the same through your yellow and blue tinted glasses with O Donnell.

Did I say the incidents were the same? All I said was that O Donnell and Buckley were similar in that they made a meal of impulsive actions carried out by their opposing players. Where do they differ if you don’t agree with my last sentence?
O Donnell was taken out running towards Collins, you think he could have stayed on his feet after the challenge? He would be some man if he could,

Having watched the match again yesterday, I think the game was lost with the full back line selection.
We do not have a natural full back and perhaps it was a wrong call to drop Damien, the Clare inside line scored a total of 2-19.
Barrett and Dalton were not contributing in the half forward line, they should have been pulled earlier.
Harnedy and Hoggy were awesome, the abuse levelled against them was not merited. Lehane is an awesome player too but maybe all 3 should not play at the same time again. Shane kingston looked lively as well when he came on and looks a much better option to O'Flynn, Twomey or Jack O'Connor.

Clare found scores much easier, our 6 backs as a unit did not work well. Tim Rob and Joycey tried hard but were out hurled.

I am not sure if the spirit is within these players and that is the management's problem.

We have a coach on the sideline from Waterford, i understand he is not the most popular but Sheedy should be snapped up in the coming weeks when we go out tendering for a new management team.
Dalton was good, scored from play and nailed his long range frees

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Elephant Sessions
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

20th Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Fireside Folk

The Welcome Inn, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼