Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Players are not good enough , we all know this. Lads mad to hammer round pegs into Square holes for this weekend. Kingston back in , Tim to midfield , Downey to Full etc etc. lads it won’t work .

There does seem to be a certain bias towards and against certain players by Pat Ryan. Twomey a sacrificial lamb yesterday when Lehane was having another stinker. TOM barely gets a look in, when midfield is crying out for some physicality. If Kingston had started that team yesterday and made the mistakes PR has made over the last 2 years, fellas would now be campaigning for him to be sent to the guillotine.

I think this generation of U20s will be a lost generation, if PR stays in this job beyond this year. He seems simply either incapable or unwilling to make those ruthless decisions needed at the highest level of sport. I expect there will be very little change to next week's team.
I have great time for TOM but I think he's wild at times, I don't think he was the pick to save the day - send him on in yesterday's circumstances and it was highly probable that we'd increase the risk of conceding even more frees and rack up some more wides.

How exactly was 1990 a robbery really?????? :oops:
We had a team full of talent and tough men who put their limbs on the line for Cork. I'm astounded anyone could claim it was a robbery - least of all a Corkman tbh. 😔
The crucial factor in 1990 final was Jim Cashman recovering from a torrid first half on Cooney, Management were going to
substitute him H/T But said they would give him ten minutes,

On here there are a few (myself included) who dont think the players and panel are actually there to win an AI. We just aren’t good enough. Not enough generational hurlers and not enough steely toughness. I’ve been heavily criticized here for saying that and have been called a troll at one stage.
It’s the lack of hope and promise that’s worst of all and yesterday was just a slap of reality on where we are in Cork hurling. I am so disappointed/browned off that more of our AI winning U20s haven’t come through yet. They would give us some hope for the future.
When I first started contributing here a couple of years ago I was also ridiculed for saying that the elder statesman who had served Cork so well no longer had the legs to start.
The only bright lights yesterday were Connolly when we managed to feed him and the fact that overall we created enough chances to win the game. Some of the misses were shocking. CL missed an easy one from 65 yds yesterday with no Waterford man within 10yds of him.
It’s the same with the footballers really. Creating plenty chances but just can’t convert at that intensity is either a lack of hurling and/or a lack of fitness.
I hardly slept last night!!!
There is no hope for you if you couldn't sleep last night.
You need to be mentally tough to be a Cork supporter.
I slept like a baby 👶

Players are not good enough , we all know this. Lads mad to hammer round pegs into Square holes for this weekend. Kingston back in , Tim to midfield , Downey to Full etc etc. lads it won’t work .
But yesterday didn’t work?
So what do we do, continue the merry go round insanity selections and tactics?
Or change it to what could work?

Haven't watched the game back and don't have the stats from the game for rucks, but it was not the impression that I got that they won the vast majority of rucks.
Stats do say that we won the majority of turnovers
Turnovers & rucks are not the same thing. I haven't watched it either but everyone I spoke to after the game mentioned the usual inability to win rucks. It's been a problem for a long time.

Cork won one ruck ball in the whole game. For such an important facet of modern hurling it's a skill we seem incapable of mastering.

Even rucks aside, and the ref who I thought was good overall seemed very happy to let them develop, I was surprised at how many players on both sides struggled to lift the ball yesterday

On here there are a few (myself included) who dont think the players and panel are actually there to win an AI. We just aren’t good enough. Not enough generational hurlers and not enough steely toughness. I’ve been heavily criticized here for saying that and have been called a troll at one stage.
It’s the lack of hope and promise that’s worst of all and yesterday was just a slap of reality on where we are in Cork hurling. I am so disappointed/browned off that more of our AI winning U20s haven’t come through yet. They would give us some hope for the future.
When I first started contributing here a couple of years ago I was also ridiculed for saying that the elder statesman who had served Cork so well no longer had the legs to start.
The only bright lights yesterday were Connolly when we managed to feed him and the fact that overall we created enough chances to win the game. Some of the misses were shocking. CL missed an easy one from 65 yds yesterday with no Waterford man within 10yds of him.
It’s the same with the footballers really. Creating plenty chances but just can’t convert at that intensity is either a lack of hurling and/or a lack of fitness.
I hardly slept last night!!!
I think you're bang on here. Waterford have more players who'd make an All Ireland 15 than ourselves. Jamie Barron, Calum Lyons, Dessie, Stephen Bennett have proven themselves more than ours have. Who are our top players who'd make the Limerick team? Winning underage titles is great and all but who are the outstanding talents on those teams that make the difference. Joyce and Connolly are two, Barrett looks like he's getting there. Ben O'Connor would have made a huge difference if he stuck around. Outside of that, maybe Ben Cunningham, maybe Ethan Twomey.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Punk Rock Factory
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

6th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼