Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Not quite. He (and I think his brother) were in dispute with Cloyne and had already left them, thus had no club. He subsequently joined the Glen
I always thought his job (truck driver) was the deciding factor. Couldn't have been much of a dispute seeing as the town erected a huge statue of him, the club field is named after him and he is buried on the church grounds there.

I always thought his job (truck driver) was the deciding factor. Couldn't have been much of a dispute seeing as the town erected a huge statue of him, the club field is named after him and he is buried on the church grounds there.

It was long after he hit the heights with Senior Counties and a glittering Inter-county career that the statue and field were named after him as a favoured son - don't think that was the case in 1940 when he moved to the Glen. I know rightly where he's buried. I got to know his widow and children very well. His brother had a reconciliation with the club subsequently. I met him a few times too. Real character.

"Born in Cloyne, County Cork, Ring first played competitive hurling following encouragement from his local national school teachers Michael O'Brien and Jerry Moynihan. He first appeared on the Cloyne minor team at the age of twelve before later winning a county minor championship medal with the nearby St Enda's team. A county junior championship medal with Cloyne followed. However, a dispute with club officials saw Ring join Glen Rovers in Blackpool in 1941."

Looks like Ringy's relationship with Cloyne had been "bumpy" to say the least.

Any chance that until after the Clare game we could forget about Limerick and concentrate on our 1st to games.
Forget it that's a foregone conclusion according to the Cork Hurling Elite here. We are so good that we will also lose to Limerick in order to ambush them in Munster Final. The Proverbial Shitting of the Britches started months ago over Limerick.

It was long after he hit the heights with Senior Counties and a glittering Inter-county career that the statue and field were named after him as a favoured son - don't think that was the case in 1940 when he moved to the Glen. I know rightly where he's buried. I got to know his widow and children very well. His brother had a reconciliation with the club subsequently. I met him a few times too. Real character.

"Born in Cloyne, County Cork, Ring first played competitive hurling following encouragement from his local national school teachers Michael O'Brien and Jerry Moynihan. He first appeared on the Cloyne minor team at the age of twelve before later winning a county minor championship medal with the nearby St Enda's team. A county junior championship medal with Cloyne followed. However, a dispute with club officials saw Ring join Glen Rovers in Blackpool in 1941."

Looks like Ringy's relationship with Cloyne had been "bumpy" to say the least.
It was all detailed in Val Dorgan's book, "Christy Ring". It was his two brothers who had a dispute with Cloyne, apparently. Christy left in solidarity with them. Ironically the brothers soon joined other local clubs and Christy was left without any club until Jack Lynch approached him about joining the Glen.

Forget it that's a foregone conclusion according to the Cork Hurling Elite here. We are so good that we will also lose to Limerick in order to ambush them in Munster Final. The Proverbial Shitting of the Britches started months ago over Limerick.
Said it months ago - the amount of posts about Limerick or Kyle Hayes is unreal. This nouveau riche county are occupying far too much of our concentration. We are Cork, we are better than those upstarts. Once this team goes (could be this year) they will be decades in the wilderness as before.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Camilla Griehsel's Mamasongue
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

12th May 2024 @ 5:00 pm
More info..

Brewhouse Jazz

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼