Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I'd go a step further, trial no handpassing, much easier to ref and would lead to more direct hurling from the risk of being turned over running the ball into traffic.
No it won't unfortunately, because teams like Limerick (especially Cian Lynch) have already mastered a successful ploy for when they "run into traffic". After tapping the ball twice on the hurley (and after using up your 8 steps in the process of possession), if you find yourself bottled up, throw the ball on the ground (feigning it as a fumble after contact) regather and then you can motor on and take another two taps on the hurley and another 8 steps.

Last edited:
They should trial an off the hurley only handpass, would solve the throwing.
I was lambasted on here when I brought up the topic (that our club was discussing) in relation to the closed fist hand pass...or more accurately, the closed fingers handpass (leaving the palm exposed enough to strike the ball for the pass). It guarantees separation of the ball from the hand and, with practice, results in the ball having the same pace and trajectory as the handpass currently has now. But some on here couldn't get their little peanut brains around it.

No it won't unfortunately, because teams like Limerick (especially Cian Lynch) have already mastered a successful ploy for when they "run into traffic". After tapping the ball twice on the hurley (and after using up your 8 steps in the process of possession), if you find yourself bottled up, throw the ball on the ground (feigning it as a fumble after contact) regather and then you can motor on and take another two taps on the hurley and another 8 steps.
Very fair point but put yourself in a refs shoes. If no handpassing was in play, spotting the deliberate "throw ball on ground" is much easier IMO

I was lambasted on here when I brought up the topic (that our club was discussing) in relation to the closed fist hand pass...or more accurately, the closed fingers handpass (leaving the palm exposed enough to strike the ball for the pass). It guarantees separation of the ball from the hand and, with practice, results in the ball having the same pace and trajectory as the handpass currently has now. But some on here couldn't get their little peanut brains around it.
Another fair point Menace, no lambasting here... but I reckon spotting the difference between closed and open fist handpasses would be difficult for refs in the heat of c'ship ultimately leading to more debate and confusion.

Ya very ridiculous comment lol . The greatest player that ever played the game left his club to join the Glen . The rest is history . Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to better yourself.

Not quite. He (and I think his brother) were in dispute with Cloyne and had already left them, thus had no club. He subsequently joined the Glen

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

His Father's Voice

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼