Cork Hurlers - Part 2

If our injury list doesn’t straighten itself in the next few weeks we are in for a short summer (or no summer) . In fairness the young lads are doing well but the step up will be massive and it can’t be made without the experienced heads. Anthony Daly talking shit about Clare not trying, they are a big average team who can pull out the odd big performance but if Clare are the benchmark it’s a weak championship. Missed no game yet this yr and looking forward to seeing how a relatively young team performs against the Cats in their backyard. It has been a great start to Pat Ryans reign but just a pity injuries are screwing us.
I dunno about the short summer, that could happen anyway, but if you throw Sean, Damien, Joycey, Fitzy, Tim, Robbie and Hoggy into the team we will have a great mix of youth and experience which will obviously help us going foward
Agreed. I think the management team know this too but there are a few too many on here that think we’ll go into the championship with 5/6 players who’ve never played championship before and have a long summer. This is a 2/3 year project.
do you think Pat Ryan is looking at 2024 or 2025? He is in his ring. Pick your best team and go out and test yourselves against the best, next year will take care of itself
I see people picking teams without Damian Cahalane and I must say that I don't understand this. I think he will be one of the first names pencilled in when championship comes around.
Moreso because there may be some inexperience in the team as well and from what I hear he is regarded as a leader in the group as well as being a strong , physical and experienced hurler. I think the number 5 jersey is his.
it was very interesting Sunday when Damien was introduced it was at full back. If he’s playing full or wing back he will be a great help to the youngsters around him. My guess is he will be at 7 Sunday

Tim and Fitz should play some time this weekend. Robbie is back training this week with the team, SOD another couple weeks. He’s back running. Harnedy and Dalton won’t be ready for this weekend by all accounts, tight hamstrings.
Coleman I’m hearing is done for the year but not confirmed. No idea on Twomey
Tim and Fitzy were lined up to play a part last weekend too but it didn’t happen. 20 minutes each on Sunday would be ideal

Robbie is probably 3 or 4 weeks away from being ready to play and he will be minded

I’ve heard that Sean is still not back running and it’s a worry

do you think Pat Ryan is looking at 2024 or 2025? He is in his ring. Pick your best team and go out and test yourselves against the best, next year will take care of itself
I think he’s realistic enough to know it will take time to blood the new guys in and get them physically developed for senior intercounty hurling. Obviously they’ll go out to win every game they play this year but it’s a 3 year term they have and you can be sure they have their own goals for each of the 3 years. I’m sure they want to win an All Ireland in that time and believe that they can but I’d be surprised if they think it’ll happen this year.

I still can’t see anyone beating Limerick but if they are knocked out then any one of 4/5 counties could win it. We’re in that group.

I see people picking teams without Damian Cahalane and I must say that I don't understand this. I think he will be one of the first names pencilled in when championship comes around.
Moreso because there may be some inexperience in the team as well and from what I hear he is regarded as a leader in the group as well as being a strong , physical and experienced hurler. I think the number 5 jersey is his.
Spot on NC, with the number of injuries amongst the more senior players, he will have to start. Wing back the spot alright I’d say.

Back to Cork
League form good. Massively encouraged by the performance of young new players ( R Downey, O Callaghan & TOC in the backs Roche & Twomey midfield, Barrett & Power in the forwards)

As previous posters have mentioned, this is medium/long term project, we have huge injury isdues, but lets have a right cut this year and see what happens.

Compared the doom and gloom and tippy tappy of the past 2 years, its been a breath of fresh air so far.
Lets all not forget this, the style of hurling we are playing is light years away from last years galacticos show

I think he’s realistic enough to know it will take time to blood the new guys in and get them physically developed for senior intercounty hurling. Obviously they’ll go out to win every game they play this year but it’s a 3 year term they have and you can be sure they have their own goals for each of the 3 years. I’m sure they want to win an All Ireland in that time and believe that they can but I’d be surprised if they think it’ll happen this year.

I still can’t see anyone beating Limerick but if they are knocked out then any one of 4/5 counties could win it. We’re in that group.
We are all very realistic about the young fellas but that doesn’t mean they can’t do the business this year, they can, and age won’t enter the selectors mind, performance will and up to now they are performing

You can bet your life they believe we can win the all ireland this year and will be instilling that belief in the players too. Elite sports is about the here and now, all they are focused on is next Sunday and getting a win, 2024 doesn’t even enter their thoughts

I picked TOC over him because I have seen more of him this year and is better going forward and a more accurate passer. Not much between them though.

We are all very realistic about the young fellas but that doesn’t mean they can’t do the business this year, they can, and age won’t enter the selectors mind, performance will and up to now they are performing

You can bet your life they believe we can win the all ireland this year and will be instilling that belief in the players too. Elite sports is about the here and now, all they are focused on is next Sunday and getting a win, 2024 doesn’t even enter their thoughts
That’s not really true. They are blooding players in this year that they know may not make a breakthrough until next year or the year after. Of course they’ll be aiming to win the All Ireland this year but they have a succession plan too. They must plan ahead for when Hoggie and Harnedy retire, that will happen in the next 2 years anyway.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Funny Fridays Special

City Limits, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼