Cork Hurlers - Part 2

The issues of selection have a few subtleties to account for. The shining light for his club attracts the attention of all and of selectors. He goes into the extended squad and now is in a totally different dynamic than he is used to. He goes from King of the Castle to just an ordinary squad member. Some are able to deal with this better than others. Added to this is how a player who is 60 minute nailed on man with his club never has to fear the curly finger now has to adapt. More so the case when a forward is asked to be "the impact man" and this can be really tricky for a player who in the normal course gets the chance to play himself into the game (might even be on the frees) now has to do a Kevin Murray or an Alan Browne. The issue for defenders can be that the main man at 6 for club finds himself at 2 or 4 for county and is all at sea . Those who adapt quickest will survive. Those who dont often get the "he never made it at county level" label. I think we were very lucky that Jerry O Connor stuck at it because he was a total bit player until possibly the Limerick game in 2004 and look what happened to him.

Cartilage is totally unpredictable in its recovery time . I hope Mark is getting looked after in Santry because it is the only place to go.

The idea that a few lads who played good roles in club sides will be called onto the panel is not gonna happen. The inter County season is here now and any fella who's not involved now won't be involved. I know personally of a player who selectors inquired about to people within his club about with a view to him being drafted in two months ago. His club performance outstanding. He never got the call. The panel is the panel and that's how it is with the season starting in a couple of months

The idea that a few lads who played good roles in club sides will be called onto the panel is not gonna happen. The inter County season is here now and any fella who's not involved now won't be involved. I know personally of a player who selectors inquired about to people within his club about with a view to him being drafted in two months ago. His club performance outstanding. He never got the call. The panel is the panel and that's how it is with the season starting in a couple of months
Agreed unless somebody has an absolute blinder of a Fitzgibbon.

I do believe that players can still break into the panel... not the team for 2022 but it will be based on consistent performances with their , college, club and/or division.
I think it is most likely these will be young players as it will takes some time for them to integrate into the group and to come to terms with the step up in level of hurling. It also requires a level of dedication and commitment that not every talented player has.

However, I think that what you say is largely correct, the panel is the panel that will play hurling for Cork in 2023.

This is the mistake Cork selectors are making repeatedly over the years. They are going with guys who were succesful in some area of underage but forgetting the time gap before they make inter-county mainly because of the S&C process they are being put through. A guy of 26 or 27 standing out for his club wouldn't have to go through the same process and mostly they get overlooked.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cork Pride Parade
Grand Parade, Cork

4th Aug 2024 @ 2:00 pm
More info..

Hot Blooded Animals

Coughlan's, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼