Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Jesus
I think we’ve been guilty of dreaming for 20 years. It’s time to realize that to win an all Ireland in hurling or football, a lot of hard work, and dedication are required. I don’t see that from either code in Cork .It’s disappointing that our iconic player Pat Horgan is destined to finish his career without an All Ireland. We’re destined for another underperforming season!
jesus, there hasn’t been a ball struck in anger yet and you’re writing us off? It’s a new era with Pat at the helm and we won’t be carrying assengers next year that’s for sure, give them a chance at keast

Great interview in the Examiner with Kieran Kingston. Easy for us posters to sit here and criticise but you have to have the upmost respect for fellas to take on that role. You can see how much it meant to him from reading through it.

Edit: link below

In relation to tom Hanley. Yes he was involved with munster. He was a v good club forward but I think ballyhea put him back in backs and has been unreal since. Real athlete too. I think pat asked him in but is gone to dubai working but should be back soon.

I really don't know anything about Tom Hanley, can you give some information about him, age size etc .

He may be drafted in. From games I have seen he is as good as what we have in half backine . Obviously i County is different but probCan worth a shot.

Might be a year or two or three too early for Cork. We are considered as underdogs for all Ireland this year, behind Limerick, Galway, KK, and Clare. I don’t see a whole lot new this year, the best prospect we had has gone playing rugby. Hoggy, Harnedy, Lehane etc are past their best!What’s another year?..,,,,
Would you like to see Cork win the all ireland in hurling?

Great interview in the Examiner with Kieran Kingston. Easy for us posters to sit here and criticise but you have to have the upmost respect for fellas to take on that role. You can see how much it meant to him from reading through it.

Edit: link below

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Kieran Kingston and his commitment to Cork, but you can’t give fellas a free pass when they allowed what happened last year happen. Any selectors that set up their team the way we did last year will get constructively criticised and rightfully so

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Kieran Kingston and his commitment to Cork, but you can’t give fellas a free pass when they allowed what happened last year happen. Any selectors that set up their team the way we did last year will get constructively criticised and rightfully so
I wasn’t saying people shouldn’t criticise R&B was just pointing out that it wasn’t true a lack of effort or trying. Tried something he felt would work and it didn’t of course people can critique and add comments sure that’s what we all do. That’s what I’ve also done, just wanted to highlight the article really as I thought it was a great read

I wasn’t saying people shouldn’t criticise R&B was just pointing out that it wasn’t true a lack of effort or trying. Tried something he felt would work and it didn’t of course people can critique and add comments sure that’s what we all do. That’s what I’ve also done, just wanted to highlight the article really as I thought it was a great read
Fair point, he put his life and soul into making us better but at the end of the day we were in disarray this year. I really hope in 2023 that Pat Ryan returns us to our traditional values of hard work, fast hurling and a never say die attitude, they are missing way too long

I think the idea that there are players undiscovered or unused by Cork hurling selectors is incorrect.
Do you honestly believe a player of the calibre of Brian Moylan of Glen Rovers never deserved the chance to play inter-county?

When Stephen Murphy of Blackrock gave an excellent display in a league game in Croker why was he dropped off the panel completely? We saw similar with Midleton's Aidan Ryan a few years earlier.

James O'Flynn is a prime example of being unused, he was on the panel/extended panel 3 years of Kieran Kingston's second term of 4 years and got little game time.

The fiasco v Galway in this years championship regarding selection has enough coverage without me going into detail

I think in general the best players are selected and in particular the players best suited to the step up in standard.
The words 'in general' is a broad term and while you are correct in this statement the selection of players has to be far more proficient. Cork have a problem across the spectrum at all levels starting with U-14 that filters all the way up to senior. I've highlighted these issues regarding the U-15 mentors and then we're reading a balderdash article of Eamonn Murphy on yesterday's Echo regarding next years U-16's which is in denial of reality. The biggest farce this year was the treatment of Stephen Lynam and Ben Heffernan (both Glen Rovers) by the Cork Minor management and County Board respectively. Although Cork hurling received a boost from capturing the AI Minor title in 2021 for which the management deserved praise, it still begs the question how John Ahern and Paul Flynn (both Dungourney) didn't make the panel?
We saw four players brought into the squad two years ago and none really made the step up. Cork selectors and management probably go to more games than anybody and are more acutely aware of what is needed than anyone as they work with elite hurlers all the time.
There are players added to the inter-county squads every year for other guys who are dropped or left the panel. In selecting the 4 you refer was their judgement correct? Midleton's Cormac Beausang stood out in Midleton's county championship victory and was one of the few who performed decently v Kilmallock but wasn't included in KK's squad, it's good news that Pat Ryan has him currently included.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼