Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Interesting that no one references the Galway game re SOD (or the limerick final before that or the Kk knock out game before that) but happy to plough into Coleman. I’m a big fan of both players but it is funny how the forum views certain players as defensive liabilities and not others.

I can see Pat Ryan’s logic re Sean and he has always improved every year but he has always played himself out of all star consideration every year also with some batshit crazy piece of play in the game that cork gets knocked out in. After the Kk game a couple of years ago I wondered would we see him move to midfield and I still wonder that… he has a kink on a high ball and it tends to cost us in a big game each year. He is a nailed on starter for loads of other reasons but I think he’s the steel we’re missing in the middle of the field.

We’ve still a few gaps at the back as I would also see Tim and Coleman moving out of there… Ryan Walsh was the first name I was taking out of the senior championship this summer and in fairness he should have been involved last year. Eoin Downey for sure. Less sure about the likes of James o’flynn but sure he’s worth another look i guess. Would be brilliant to find a mikey butler type as well as the bigger lads.

Who are genuine starter options in the championship back 6 to make us stronger than last year?
Great post!

There are very few genuine starters for defence. Ciaran Joyce obviously and I would say Ger Millerick is a natural defensive wing-back but not as much a hurling one as we all would like but he starts at No. 7 all day long on my team. He is not a full-back or corner-back as he lacks stature for a 3 and raw pace to match most corner-forwards as a 2 or 4. He does a foraging job mid-field like the ball he won from the throw-in to set up the goal in the championship 1st round game v Limerick this year but an inter-county mid-fielder needs also to either score or create. I believe James O'Flynn has to be given game time at corner or wing-back and Ryan Walsh at full-back. Fergus Lordan & Brian Murphy should be looked at also for defensive positions and then we have Daire O'Leary and the 2 Downey's although Eoin Downey gives a great option as a ball winning half-forward. I agree with you regarding Sean O'Donoghue and I would start him in the league mid-field or centre-forward, he can always revert to corner-back if the new recruits don't form a strong defensive unit.

Mellerick is too small for a half back. I agree with some posters who suggest he could play as a man marker. He’d probaly want to bulk up a good bit but definitely dosent lack aggression and work rate.

Won a Munster in '06 I'd say as a sub. Don't think he ever played a championship game but not certain, was on panel for 2 or 3 years I think
Yeah unused sub in 2006. Opted out in 2007 ahead of the league along with Mickey OConnell and Wayne Sherlock. Back on the panel then in 2009 and played 1 or 2 league games. As someone else said, fine fullback, just lacked pace.

Millerick is versatile and could play anywhere from 2 to 9. I think a man marking job in defence is how we should use him....bit like Brian Murphy of bride rovers used to do...

I hate singling out lads but I just wonder am I missing something with Millerick. I just haven’t seen anything much from him the last few years to suggest that he could man mark a big player out of a game.
I know to be fair to him he was played out of position this year and has struggled with injuries but I’m still a bit unsure of him and he seems to struggle against physically strong players. I hope I’m wrong because we really need a man marker.

On the hurling front, Cork, as has been documented in recent days, begin their Division 1 campaign with a home fixture against three-in-a-row All-Ireland champions Limerick on Saturday evening, February 4.

Cork will have two further home games at Páirc Uí Chaoimh, against Westmeath in Round 3 on Sunday, February 26 and Wexford in Round 4 on Sunday, March 12.

The Westmeath fixture (1pm throw-in) will form part of a double-header along with the footballers’ clash with Ray Dempsey’s Limerick (3pm throw-in).

The Cork hurlers’ two away outings will bring Pat Ryan’s charges to Pearse Stadium on Sunday, February 12 and to Ennis on the final day of Group A action on Sunday, March 19.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Cliffords
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

27th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Hollyz

Cantys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼