Cork Footballers

I assume 2 of the quarter finals will be played on Saturday & the other 2 on Sunday.
I hope Cork get to play on Sunday - the extra day's recovery time may be important. They need it, at this stage.

One other point. Maybe it's just me, but, I really don't get this media-narrative that football has become boring, negative, overly-tactical, dour, as a spectacle, compared to hurling.
I have always been a dual follower/supporter of both codes. And personally I find the football has become far more interesting to watch. Even yesterday when Roscommon played keep-ball for first 20, I find it fascinating to observe the two teams setup and approaches, who can work that bit of magic to find an opening. The excitement of a turnover and what can come of it.

I actually find hurling has become an awful watch, and I don't watch much hurling now because of it.
Its like a glorified game of rugby, and lads just pucking the ball over the bar from miles out. It's gone way down in entertainment value in my book.

Anyone else think the same?
The skill level is definitely gone down in both codes, whereby I agree with you on hurling regarding the probing for that 'bit of magic' in football it surely isn't right to be playing the ball back and sideways. It appears the basketball like rule changes are needed. Does any coach ever think when it takes so many plays and touches over and back by so many players then the likely for error hugely increases just like the Roscommon player for Cork's winning score yesterday, the Roscommon tactic is simply not football and ultimately won't win any titles.

The skill level is definitely gone down in both codes, whereby I agree with you on hurling regarding the probing for that 'bit of magic' in football it surely isn't right to be playing the ball back and sideways. It appears the basketball like rule changes are needed. Does any coach ever think when it takes so many plays and touches over and back by so many players then the likely for error hugely increases just like the Roscommon player for Cork's winning score yesterday, the Roscommon tactic is simply not football and ultimately won't win any titles.

When it’s all handpassing the chance of error is negible but if they kick it that’s where errors come in. It’s a race to the bottom on football now where it’s not coach the skills it’s coach the knowledge of how to do the things that are lowest risk

When it’s all handpassing the chance of error is negible but if they kick it that’s where errors come in. It’s a race to the bottom on football now where it’s not coach the skills it’s coach the knowledge of how to do the things that are lowest risk
See Jim Gavin’s Dublin

In regard to Martin, he defintely does lack the football ability that some of the top goalkeepers in the country have. Also he's definitely hesitant at times to play short kickouts, that others keepers regularly ping with ease.

I think his recent stats have been good but I would say some of that is down to some better overall KO strategies than we've seen before. I know for a fact that they do an awful lot of work on this area for both ends of the pitch

In fairness to the man his general handling and shot stopping is extremely good and he regularly makes important saves.

He played well yesterday but those couple of times he came out of his goal near the end he did not look at all comfortable on the ball

I do think our kickouts have improved but the strategy would be more expansive with a better striker of the ball in goal.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼