Cork Footballers

Dano had a few disappointing days, poor in final and v Castlemaine also but good in semi.
He could have made a good no. 13 with his left foot, now 27 maybe he has had his chance.
Bit like Michael Hurley who was key in the county final but also inconsistent and injury prone.
Funny when you look at the 36 there are maybe another 25 who could be there
We probably need to go with bigger, athletic, younger guys while keeping only a few older heads like Maguire, Deane & Hurley.
Donegal were arguably worse than Cork last year(except they won in Ennis), they were well beaten in ko matches by Down and Tyrone, they do have the new manager bounce and of course it isnt just any old new manager so will be a tough test of character to go to Ballybofey but could also be the making of a good season.

How could that be a good thing?

maybe it’s a very worrying sign for the future and of further decline of the GAA in the city.
We have seen the tragedy on us in the inter county hurling when the standard of club hurling dropped/stagnated in the city & didn’t develop like it did in other counties.

The city going well is vital to our fortunes and they should be contributing about half the team all things going well.
Often in the past it seemed harder to get off the panel than on it, in both codes.
Purely meant if its the optimum 36, then it doesn't matter where they come from.
100% agree the decline in the city isn't good long term but historically this affects hurling far more than football, football has always had a strong North and west cork involvement , more so when going well. We seem to be going in the right direction finally thank god, but along way back to the top table.

Often in the past it seemed harder to get off the panel than on it, in both codes.
Purely meant if its the optimum 36, then it doesn't matter where they come from.
100% agree the decline in the city isn't good long term but historically this affects hurling far more than football, football has always had a strong North and west cork involvement , more so when going well. We seem to be going in the right direction finally thank god, but along way back to the top table.
I’m not concerned so much over geography and where “they come from”, as they are all Rebels.
I’m concerned that a massive proportion of the county’s population in the city is not contributing what it should population wise to Cork senior team right now.
Successful Cork senior football teams usually have about half from the city. It’s very concerning.
Cork hurling had always been a city exploit. It started to stretch east to Midleton in the late 70s. & 80s
The growth of hurling in the 90s in rural areas camouflaged the decline of Cork hurling in the city, as will still picked up a sporadic AI here and there which fooled us for a while. The damage was done by the time Cork GAA realized it.
I often change my own mind as to which was worse since the late 70s, Cork GAA Admin catestrophic mismanagement of Cork hurling or the catestrophic financial impacts of the construction of 2 sports stadiums that weren’t needed or affordable

Successful Cork senior football teams usually have about half from the city. It’s very concerning.
Cork hurling had always been a city exploit. It started to stretch east to Midleton in the late 70s. & 80s
The growth of hurling in the 90s in rural areas camouflaged the decline of Cork hurling in the city
remind us again what part of the city Christy Ring, Jim & Eamonn Young, John Meyler, John Allen, John Horgan come from - just to name a small few

Is GAA really in decline in Cork city?

Nemo, Blackrock, Michaels, Barrs hurlers and Barrs footballers have all won counties in the last 5 years.
Jasus Denny… don’t go there.. i don’t know anyone that thinks hurling hasn’t collapsed in the city.. In football Nemo, our football powerhouse, are at their weakest for as long as I can remember & it’s more than a forthnight since I played minor

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Blarney Castle Hotel, The Square, Blarney

13th Aug 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Mick Grace Duo

Seventy Seven, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼