Cork Footballers

Spot on about the ref.. a bizarre non-application of the advantage rule which affected both teams.. how Limerick weren’t down to 14 is equally bizarre, even Limerick support around me were shocked at the yellow..
On Limerick freetaking- Cork dominated except for 12 mins at end of 1st half and were better than Limerick by more than the score suggests.. Limericks goals put a false gloss on it.
Agreed with that. Cork were far, far better than the scoreline suggests but I guess someone could be worried by inability to put the game to bed until late on but it’s January. The second goal was very poor alright.

Agreed with that. Cork were far, far better than the scoreline suggests but I guess someone could be worried by inability to put the game to bed until late on but it’s January. The second goal was very poor alright.
Yes, it was surprising alright with the strength of our in form full Forward line and our running half forwards that we didn’t threaten the limerick goal more often. But over the 70mins Cork put up a good score against Limerick a Div 2 side.

Parents of a Limerick player were sitting beside me & had the story that the Mayo players actually wanted Dempsey & not McStay.. ths decision to go with McStay had big role in why some of the older senior players have pulled/retired now..

All in all I’m delighted with the first 3 games. Many positives. Also, I was thrilled to see Deane again tonight.. the one man who always troubles Kerry. Very under rated player.

Hard to believe we can't produce a talented goalkeeper in the whole of Cork.
You only have to look as far as MTU Corks Sigerson team to realise how little goalies we have available to us.. I believe an outfielder from Kilshannig (Kieran Twomey) who has never played in goals is between the sticks for them atm.. an absolute farce if you ask me!

Will Cathal O’Mahony be back for the league ?
Would love to see himself and Corbett getting a good run in the league
Martin
Shanley O Mahony Clancy
Maguire Meehan Taylor
Maguire COC
Corbett Powter O Driscoll
O Mahony Hurley Sherlock

Plenty good subs as well

Will Cathal O’Mahony be back for the league ?
Would love to see himself and Corbett getting a good run in the league
Martin
Shanley O Mahony Clancy
Maguire Meehan Taylor
Maguire COC
O Mahony Hurley Sherlock

Plenty good subs as well
Maguire and Taylor not both not up to this level.Liam O Donovan will be Wing back when back fit and Kevin O Donovan is a cert for Corner back.

He has a McGrath cup medal from 2014. He came on against Kerry.

Cork -- K O'Halloran; J McLoughlin, E Cadogan, M Shields; J Loughrey, T Clancy (Fermoy), K O'Driscoll; A Walsh, F Goold; A O'Sullivan, M Collins, C O'Driscoll; D Goulding, P Kerrigan, B O'Driscoll. Subs; D O'Connor for B O'Driscoll (44), J Hayes for C O'Driscoll (44), M Sugrue for Collins (54), B Hurley for Goulding (63), M O Laoire for Goold (64, BC), A Sheehan for Shields (67, BC).
sorry 2016 as well ....still what the man has done to play at this level he deserves more.

I agree with most of your team. KOD will be one corner back. Wing forwards wide open.. Corbett will have to have a good league or in AvBs games to get on the team. O Driscoll is in great physical condition & going well at the moment but that advantage may be gone by championship. O Rourke isn’t gone away and will stake a big claim based on his impact in the games so far. McSweeneys mistake last night when through on goal got him the curly finger immediately but he is improving. Og Jones is doing his chances no harm at all and that full forward line could catch fire yet.. Cork going into the league on a real positive bounce and that they are enjoyable to watch is great too. Well done to John Cleary.

Only watched the game back this morning. The comment about ODriscolls Hollywood passes is ridiculous. Opened up Limerick defence on 3 occasions. Best kick passer in the squad. Very excited to see how this squad can match up against the stronger Div2 teams.
The cork kickout is such a weakness with Martin. The good teams or actually all teams will target it. If I was to pick a team at this stage I would go with:

Martin(unless White comes back in)
Shanley O Mahony KOD
LOD Meehan Taylor
O Callaghan Maguire
O Mahony Hurley Sherlock

Obviously cathail O Mahony and Liam O Donovan haven’t featured yet but both would strengthen the team I believe.
With Corbett and o driscoll in half forward line, you have two big men, great kick passers and long distance shooters. Very important as we struggled last year with long range shooting.
Powter in the middle with the direct running option.
Let’s hope for a successful league now.

Very impressed with John O Rourke's contribution. Scored 2 nice points to put the game to bed, his second with his left foot was exceptional. Good option off the bench.

Lots of people see potential in McSweeney and he's said to have the ability to take a point from the HF line which is something we lack. I don't want to criticise lads that are trying to nail down a place but I'm not sure he'll make the grade - what do BMs think ?

Also delighted to see Deane back. I could not understand why he was dropped. Always gave Kerry problems

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Route66

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼