Cork Footballers

That thinkstoomuch fella on boards is a prolific poster, but his posts are a bit muddled at times and littered with mistakes of various kinds. He has a genuine interest though and appears to actually attend a lot of games in both codes to be fair.

Anyway, was chatting with a few lads last night about who'll be playing with the colleges from a Cork perspective in the McGrath cup..from memory at least, the following come to mind.

UCC:
Tom Clancy (Fermoy)
Conor Dorman
BOD
Luke Connolly

CIT
David Hanrahan
Eoin Byrne
Rory O'Sullivan
Cathal Vaughan
Donal Óg Hodnett

I.T Tralee
Ruarí Deane

U.L
John O'Rourke
Thomas Clancy (Clon)

Not sure if there's anyone in Mary I or LIT relevant or if I've left anyone out there..
Fairly sure Mark Sugrue and Kevin O'Driscoll are still in UCC, so interesting they are lining out with Cork.

Who is BOD and what club is Eoin Byrne from? Found out today that Sugrue plays football only with college and O'Driscoll is no longer there so that is why they are playing with Cork. Surely UCC have more Cork players.

That thinkstoomuch fella on boards is a prolific poster, but his posts are a bit muddled at times and littered with mistakes of various kinds. He has a genuine interest though and appears to actually attend a lot of games in both codes to be fair.

Anyway, was chatting with a few lads last night about who'll be playing with the colleges from a Cork perspective in the McGrath cup..from memory at least, the following come to mind.

UCC:
Tom Clancy (Fermoy)
Conor Dorman
BOD
Luke Connolly

CIT
David Hanrahan
Eoin Byrne
Rory O'Sullivan
Cathal Vaughan
Donal Óg Hodnett

I.T Tralee
Ruarí Deane

U.L
John O'Rourke
Thomas Clancy (Clon)

Not sure if there's anyone in Mary I or LIT relevant or if I've left anyone out there..
Fairly sure Mark Sugrue and Kevin O'Driscoll are still in UCC, so interesting they are lining out with Cork.

Who is BOD and what club is Eoin Byrne from? Found out today that Sugrue plays football only with college and O'Driscoll is no longer there so that is why they are playing with Cork. Surely UCC have more Cork players.

He plays football for Carbery so I presume thats why he's lining out for Cork.

Teams irrelevant at this time year, its just brainstorming. Would be a bit more interested in how we're setting up, and even that will be a million miles from what it should be in July. Good to see certain names involved, Galvin in particular..

Anyone have an issue with JBM pressurizing young players with serious injuries to go dual? His first winter it was O'Neill and Sheehan both after major cruciates, now he's going after Cahelane who's had two hips cracked open over Christmas.

On the dual issue contrast the attitude of Cuthbert with the Dublin football mgr. Gavin who effectively ruled it out for Kilkenny, who is only 20 years of age. I don't think any team that is serious on winning an AI in football (or Hurling) can have dual players nowadays. I am surprised at Cadogan, who was not even fully fit last year. As for AW he has some work to do to become the footballer he showed the potential to be in 2010', a while ago now. I am not that knowledgable on Hurling but are AW and Cadogan suited to there way the game is currently being played? In any event if we are serious on reaching the last 4 and kicking on from there I think we need both Cadogan and Walsh dedicated to football and no other defections either.

Cadogan and Walsh are not dedicated to football hence trying both codes

The dual issue is the only reason Cuthbert got the job

Cuthbert would allow dual players, Cleary would not

Teams irrelevant at this time year, its just brainstorming. Would be a bit more interested in how we're setting up, and even that will be a million miles from what it should be in July. Good to see certain names involved, Galvin in particular..

Anyone have an issue with JBM pressurizing young players with serious injuries to go dual? His first winter it was O'Neill and Sheehan both after major cruciates, now he's going after Cahelane who's had two hips cracked open over Christmas.

I guess it goes to show how desperate the hurling management are to increase the depth in the hurling panel.If JBM had some players coming through the ranks that were winning underage titles then it would be a different story.However were all our own bosses at the end of the day and no one should feel forced or pressurized into being a dual player.Damien is well able to stand up for himself and say no im not playing hurling.If he does decide to give the hurling a go then im sure it's because he want's to do it not because JBM or anyone else put a gun to his head!

Cadogan and Walsh are not dedicated to football hence trying both codes

The dual issue is the only reason Cuthbert got the job

Cuthbert would allow dual players, Cleary would not

Priorities eh.The fact that questions like will you allow dual players were asked at the interview is an outrage.

From Rebel Gaa.

greatbleddyman: McGrath cup is really only arse-boxing but Interesting to see two hard runners at wing forward.

Wonder was that influence Cuthbert's last year. Its a tactic from three years ago. Anyway hopefully plenty players and tactics will be trialed between now and June.

Great to be seeing teams listed again!

stfrancis: Great to see the football back again, our annual hope is rekindled. For me the most interesting issue over the last 48hours was the all ireland winning manager jim gavins immediate and total block on any dual players within his squad, stating to play both codes at the highest level was 'impossible'.
Unfortunately we have decided to ignore the evidence in cork and are indulging players in this again, and despite whatever references people make to tradition, teddy mac etc it is an indulgence at this level to think it can be achieved, and for the players themselves think they can give 100% to both codes.
Considering both our dualists are beginning their season on the 5th of january and will at least be going to the august weekend it is one long season for them

PODSY: I like the look of the team and I am sure that there are lots of players unavailable (only six subs would seem to indicate so, at any rate), however it's alarming to see Walsh and Cadogan named on the 5th January.

Best of luck to the new management and players, however. Here we go again!

Quill: I've a feeling that the reason behind this is to stake football's claim for them in 2014. Just in case they might think of leaving the football setup altogether in favour of hurling!

Whatever about Donnacha and Hayes, it's good to see Daniel Goulding starting again. I feel he needs continuous game time to bring him back to his best.

JBMisgod: It's even more alarming to see Donnacha and John Hayes playing. Donnacha was a great servant but his day is gone.
It's a sad indication of the lack of forward options available that John Hayes is back in the squad. I accept he has been very good in the county championship this year though.
Anyway, with Limerick, Clare and Waterford having pulled out is there any point in even playing this competition this year?

From Boards.ie

thinkstoomuch1: Jim Galvin no way would allow ,dual players,not one yet we could have 3 or more.

You would like to know alright why when the votes were deadlocked 3-3 in the selection commitee ,what made the Chairman with the Casting vote decide ,Cuthbhert with just a minor all ireland final ,and nothing to standout at club got the nod over a manager in ten years with u21 was part of 8 Munster titles,four all ireland finals ,winning two and a super record with Castlehaven.

Yes we hear,the presenation ,Cuthbhert gave was meant to be splendid.Fair enough ,and not taking from that,but Cuthbhert with respect as a teacher would want to be fairly strong in that skillset,so I wouldnt judge him on just that.

As Roy keane said you don't praise the postman for delivering the post,as that is expected of him.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼