Cork Footballers

This is a 'dummy' team you suspect?

So the only change following the new management is that 'teams' are now named on Tuesdays?

No so much but they are likely going through a heavy training period right now and they would have to assess who was in the right place to play the game. Unusual to see such a strong team named for this though

From Boards.ie.

closeline: Cork should win this handy but will also show what a number of players are like. Can't see Alan Sheehan, two O'Driscolls making the cut. Was wondering where Ray Carey was but I suppose he wont play this due to Clyda involvement. He could do with this came.

I like this competition because you get to see plenty of players in action with Cork and with the colleges also. There will nearly be more Cork players playing with CIT, UCC and UL than Cork themselves. I thought Sugrue and Kevin Crowley would be playing with their college though

thinkstoomuch1: Yeah ,I would have thought Sugrue and Crowley would have been with the College also.
Vaughan would in all possibilty get more of a test against East Kerry ,than he would against LIT.

I agree totally with Sheehan,no where near intercounty,a solid season if even that with Douglas,not up to this level.
In games like Sunday the opposistion will be so piss poor ,that the game shouldn't play players on the Cork team if they play well,judgement must be reserved for tougher tests ,but at the same time,if players cant perform in these games ,they shouldn't be getting chance after chance.
Lit,i would imagine be made up of mostly Clare and Limerick lads with maybe a Galway,Mayo or Kerry lad in there.

Ray Carey is with Clyda,they have Kilteragh in a two weeks.He has been superb at full back for Clyda,and I have praised him for them many times here.However,intercounty is a completly different kettle of fish,and I don't think he is at that level.
Superb in 2009,he was tenacious,sticky,i thought he was a clone of Anthony Lynch.If he had started the final instead of the awful kieran o connor,but for injury ,Cork would have won.
For whatever reason,he never recaptured that form,2010,and was dismal ,and exposed time and again.

He looks great for Clyda ,due to they play 12 men behind the ball,meaning he is less exposed to fast ball in to hes aera ,and he is isnt as turned as much ,as clyda defend space rather than orthdox man to marking,and in intercounty the pace Dublin,kerry,and mayo counter attack,added with the Black card,he could and would exposed sooner or later,as with less of the blanket style defence next year there will be space.To counter that ,you must have good ,corner backs,than can defend first and foremost.

Good to see O Leary on the bench,superb in 2011 with Walsh at U21,,he is deemed light in stature by some,but then Kevin Canty,and Eoin Keane are no different,and leary has way better footballing skills than those two put together,and laoire appreciates and plays in to space.Could be a great foil for walsh.Deserves a chance anyway.

Anybody want to see how football should not be played,and has the stomach to watch a painful hour of it,and how Cork went against the basics of good attacking play,then watch tG4 at 7ish,they are showing Cork v Galway,in a game we were truly haunted to win.

People had expected us to stroll it,I had said in the lead up we would struggle ,such was the lack of direction under Counihan last year.

Noel galvin is good news and has it all and himself or Jamie sul ,with Shields in one corner are the best options for corner back.
Mcloughlin would struggle on the Cork Junior team,to be honest.

O'Driscoll brothers deseve a chance,particulary colm,who I would rather see half back than half forward.Sugrue had a great season with the u21 team last year and deserves a chance.

An interesting choice and a turn of the tables is Pryce in goal.Normally we loose lads to other codes,but we have got him from soccer.
He won a Munster youth medal with with Cork City as a goal keeper and was second to Mark Mcnulty with the 1st team so it was always going to be hard to break in to the team.

Hes agility as you would expect is very good.The only worry is,he has stated many a time,soccer is he's first choice over gaelic,and if a club comes calling mid summer will he go.

If the commitment is gaelic ,then yes he could be an addition to the panel,but with Dual players lost to hurling,we must not be a risk of loosing more.

That thinkstoomuch fella on boards is a prolific poster, but his posts are a bit muddled at times and littered with mistakes of various kinds. He has a genuine interest though and appears to actually attend a lot of games in both codes to be fair.

Anyway, was chatting with a few lads last night about who'll be playing with the colleges from a Cork perspective in the McGrath cup..from memory at least, the following come to mind.

UCC:
Tom Clancy (Fermoy)
Conor Dorman
BOD
Luke Connolly

CIT
David Hanrahan
Eoin Byrne
Rory O'Sullivan
Cathal Vaughan
Donal Óg Hodnett

I.T Tralee
Ruarí Deane

U.L
John O'Rourke
Thomas Clancy (Clon)

Not sure if there's anyone in Mary I or LIT relevant or if I've left anyone out there..
Fairly sure Mark Sugrue and Kevin O'Driscoll are still in UCC, so interesting they are lining out with Cork.

That thinkstoomuch fella on boards is a prolific poster, but his posts are a bit muddled at times and littered with mistakes of various kinds. He has a genuine interest though and appears to actually attend a lot of games in both codes to be fair.

Anyway, was chatting with a few lads last night about who'll be playing with the colleges from a Cork perspective in the McGrath cup..from memory at least, the following come to mind.

UCC:
Tom Clancy (Fermoy)
Conor Dorman
BOD
Luke Connolly

CIT
David Hanrahan
Eoin Byrne
Rory O'Sullivan
Cathal Vaughan
Donal Óg Hodnett

I.T Tralee
Ruarí Deane

U.L
John O'Rourke
Thomas Clancy (Clon)

Not sure if there's anyone in Mary I or LIT relevant or if I've left anyone out there..
Fairly sure Mark Sugrue and Kevin O'Driscoll are still in UCC, so interesting they are lining out with Cork.

I know Weshty i think he used to be Rebel Man on here.I think it's well worth taking the time to read his posts though.He just let's it all out in fairness to him!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Fist Of Pure Emotion - Spring Fling!

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼