Cork Developments

Drove on the Macroom bypass today. You can see why it is 100 rather 120 Km/h. No hard shoulder - if you have to stop (I know you shouldn't), you are still on the carriageway.

If you are turning left off it, no filter lane to the left. If you are turning from a minor road to join it, there is no lead in lane - just a stop sign and you have to start off at zero on the inner lane.

Doesn't strike me as being particularly safe. They will spend millions trying to rectify it in a few years time.

Same today.

Fully agreed. God help you if you get a tyre blowout.

Heard the prism on clontarf st has ground to a halt, piling and foundations finished but it could be ages before work will
recommence,
Site is being pushed to new buyers. It was an unviable proposal from very dodgy developers.

A bit of a caution to anyone expecting the Custom House Quay scheme to ever see the light of day.

Site is being pushed to new buyers. It was an unviable proposal from very dodgy developers.

A bit of a caution to anyone expecting the Custom House Quay scheme to ever see the light of day.
The entire urban landscape is changing.
I by chance had a fascinating conversation with someone about 6 years ago who is a senior person for a global firm in the commercial/retail/office/urban property space. He told me about the changes that will happen to city centres all across Europe as societal needs for those spaces are quickly changing.. he told me what Cork city centre will be like in 20 years time and it’s nothing at all like it is today.. it will be a recreational space.. people will go there for entertainment, food, coffees, music etc no retail other than large chain collect & return- shopping will be online, limited office space as people move towards working via cyber (this was 2017 long before Covid) ..public transport will function much better as it won’t be supporting commuters or shoppers.. plenty cycle lanes etc… cars banned at certain times. people will take back the city centres..
He was saying cities that don’t or can’t adapt to these changes will literally be left behind and die.. as has happened across the developed world many times before especially in the Uk &
US.
All very interesting I thought.

The entire urban landscape is changing.
I by chance had a fascinating conversation with someone about 6 years ago who is a senior person for a global firm in the commercial/retail/office/urban property space. He told me about the changes that will happen to city centres all across Europe as societal needs for those spaces are quickly changing.. he told me what Cork city centre will be like in 20 years time and it’s nothing at all like it is today.. it will be a recreational space.. people will go there for entertainment, food, coffees, music etc no retail other than large chain collect & return- shopping will be online, limited office space as people move towards working via cyber (this was 2017 long before Covid) ..public transport will function much better as it won’t be supporting commuters or shoppers.. plenty cycle lanes etc… cars banned at certain times. people will take back the city centres..
He was saying cities that don’t or can’t adapt to these changes will literally be left behind and die.. as has happened across the developed world many times before especially in the Uk &
US.
All very interesting I thought.
That's a well know, widely publicised conclusion reached by most cities in the last 5-10 years.

That site will rot for decades before anything's built there. A land use tax is essential to get developers/bluffers to sell land like this on if they leave it derelict.

That's a well know, widely publicised conclusion reached by most cities in the last 5-10 years.
How can you say Cork city has reached this conclusion? Corks plan is directly opposite to this promoting office space over accommodation, retail over recreational, intensive development over urban space, limited improvements in public transport etc

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

The Hollyz

Cantys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼