Cork Cycling infrastructure

Maybe we can have a mega thread detailing any developments of Cork's cycling infrastructure

I notice today there is an article in the echo, detailing how there is an upgrade happening to the junction of Skehard Rd. and Chruch Rd. Long overdue.

There are also plans for outbound bus lane from this point to Mahon Point.

Crucially they are also provisioning an 'on-road inbound cycling lane'.
There are plans to get rid of those ESB lights smack bang in the middle of the cycling lane, but wondering if anyone know what type of cycling lane would this be?

Just more paint on the road? Would be nice if they fixed up the cycling lanes going down to Mahon Point, the place has been crumbling for years.

http://www.corkcity.ie/media/PlanningProposedLayoutSkehardRdphase 3.pdf

The cycle lane near the Silver Key is the perfect size to fit a car in.......so everyone parks in it. That's my cycling infrastructure post for today.

I hope if they make elevated or barriered cycle lanes for the exclusive use of bicycles, they'll have motor lanes on the same stretches of roadway for the exclusive use of motorised vehicles. That way it should be much safer for all. :)

Very few cyclists in Cork because of all the hills. Thank God

Cork is an absolutely ideal size for cycling.

The problem is where people are working/living. People live in the suburbs, and more people work in outer spots like little island, the airport, ballincollig, man on, Apple, etc. than do inside in the centre. We need to have good orbital cycling routes, but the more people we can have working in the centre and docklands the easier it would be to get people on bikes, as well use buses trains.

I live in London and don't have a car after having one for 10 years. It's fucking fantastic. No tax, nct, insurance or the random shit you have to spend keeping them on the road. Obviously a totally different city, but even when back now I'll happily walk distances into town I wouldn't have considered before, and cycling would be doddle. If i moved back to cork with the wife I wouldn't dream of having two cars between us like most couples appear to do.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

19th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Vault 003

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼