Car safety ads

More people died as a result of suicide last year then as a result of car crashes.

How many commercials have you seen on TV advertising where to get help assistance and support for people who are considering suicide?

How much would it have cost to pay someone in social services, or mental health support to be on call for 24 hours a day in Wexford ?

And finally, that commercial looks more like an advert for the need for Electronic Stability Programmes to be fitted as standard to all cars then an advert about road safety.

If ESP was fitted to that Honda, then the accident would probably never have happened.

hey lets not forget this advert is brought to us by the same people that made the advert featuring the magical bouncing saxo a few years ago

More people died as a result of suicide last year then as a result of car crashes.

How many commercials have you seen on TV advertising where to get help assistance and support for people who are considering suicide?

How much would it have cost to pay someone in social services, or mental health support to be on call for 24 hours a day in Wexford ?

And finally, that commercial looks more like an advert for the need for Electronic Stability Programmes to be fitted as standard to all cars then an advert about road safety.

If ESP was fitted to that Honda, then the accident would probably never have happened.
agreed. the same year they doubled the funding for road awareness they halfed the funding for suicide.....national disgrace.

since 2000 dead on our roads.
2000 - 415
2001 - 411
2002 - 376
2003 - 335
2004 - 374
2005 - 396
2006 - 368

the last time they were achieving figures in the mid 300's was 1961-1966.
there was less than 100,000 cars on the roads.

Now we have over 2million and were all gone mad.

i fuckin hate hype and drama.

The car manufacturers approached the revenue commissioners about removing VRT and VAT on safety features like Electronic Stability Programs, (ESP) and additional airbags.

These make a proven contribution to road safety, particularly ESP which can reduce "out of control" accidents, (like the one featured in the advert) by up to 30% according to the European Commission.

The revenue commissioners refused to reduce the VRT and VAT on such items meaning that an ESP fitted to a Focus or a Megane or a Golf would mean the cost of the vehicle would increase by approximately €1500 and the government would get about €600 of this in VRT and VAT.

ya know what makes total bollox of it as well?
they make out thats its your mans fault and that he was speeding.
fair enough, and he got charged for it. fair enough.

how the fuck did the corrolla manage to hit the fiesta then head on?

woman driver? same as the advert "it was the guy in the back that did all the damage" - no it wasn't it was the plug in the oncoming car that strayed into the oncoming traffic

your wan on the wall would get a awful flittering of cock though

The car manufacturers approached the revenue commissioners about removing VRT and VAT on safety features like Electronic Stability Programs, (ESP) and additional airbags.

These make a proven contribution to road safety, particularly ESP which can reduce "out of control" accidents, (like the one featured in the advert) by up to 30% according to the European Commission.

The revenue commissioners refused to reduce the VRT and VAT on such items meaning that an ESP fitted to a Focus or a Megane or a Golf would mean the cost of the vehicle would increase by approximately €1500 and the government would get about €600 of this in VRT and VAT.

its the hypocrisy that is our government though. what do you expect.
I have ABS and EBD. They wont fit ESP to the navaras because they become costly. The same with the reversing camera. Standard in all top models in all countries. Not even an option here cause of cost.

The goverment forces people into shitty cars. Most mobiles are less than a year old, most ipods are, most tvs, most pcs. We are an upgrade crazy country but cars are so dear people drive cars with fierce out of date technology......

if that was the brand new civic, the brand new auris and the brand new fiesta then the accident may not of happened and if it had twould have been the feen and your wan only get it.

just took notice of your one. shes a good looking girl. but your comment was still sick hangalang.

woman driver? same as the advert "it was the guy in the back that did all the damage" - no it wasn't it was the plug in the oncoming car that strayed into the oncoming traffic

your wan on the wall would get a awful flittering of cock though

i also doubt at the speed it looked like he passed her that you could flip the civic on the road.......i reckon youd be in the field before shed roll. not flipping the car totally on the road.

i also doubt at the speed it looked like he passed her that you could flip the civic on the road.......i reckon youd be in the field before shed roll. not flipping the car totally on the road.

If you look at the advert closely, just before the Cork registered Civic flips there is an puff of smoke at the drivers front wheel of the car. This is the pyrotechnic device placed on the road in order to flip the car.

This is an article from the UK which may have some relevance to this topic:

Excuse me Nanny, I'm a grown-up now
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Mark McArthur-Christie
Every morning when I step out of the door, I can feel Nanny wagging her pudgy carbolicky finger at me and tutting, her starched apron fluttering indignantly as I get the car out of the garage and drive away.

I know this because every time I open a newspaper, switch on the radio or pick up a magazine, Nanny's there, telling me that I'm a bad boy and that "something should be done." My sin is driving and even worse, enjoying my driving, and more heinous than that, enjoying driving — ssshh, whisper it — FAST. Forgive me, Father, for I have sped.

To be a driver and a driving enthusiast in the oh-so-politically correct 1990s is to rank right up there on the public hate scale with mass murderers and politicians. Every day, Nanny leads me to believe, I slaughter thousands of fluffy white bunnies with exhaust smoke, cause the English countryside to be laid waste in tracts for bypasses and single-handedly wipe out colonies of happily dribbling toddlers by driving through housing estates at the reckless speed of just over 20 mph.

The car is evil, no two ways about it. Nanny doesn't like it — and mark my words, in Britain, when Nanny doesn't like it, something will be done. Unfortunately, something is being done — but, as ever, exactly the wrong something.

Now don't get me wrong — driving three inches from the bumper of the car in front is plain downright dangerous, stupid and possibly fatal — but Gatsos aren't going to stop it. Overtaking round a blind bend on the crest of a hill isn't exactly going to win you prizes for intelligence — but if you do that sort of thing you won't be prevented from doing it by a few speed bumps and civic flower tubs — you'll just see how fast you can jump your "Escorwt Exarfreeoi" over them. God help the emergency services.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen someone brake from 40mph to 20mph a few yards from a Gatso, only to speed up again once they've passed it. But doesn't a headline like "4,000 speeding motorists trapped by Oxon cameras" make great PR — oh yes, we're tackling the problem. Sorry Nanny — you're not, you're just tinkering with the symptoms of a far greater malaise.

we're losing sight of the fact that
risk is biologically, psychologically and mentally
necessary to our well-being

What I'm saying is that we've lost just a teensy bit of perspective in our endeavours to become a society that is totally free from risk. Nanny has decreed that risk of any sort is now utterly unacceptable and as a consequence, we're losing sight of the fact that risk is biologically, psychologically and mentally necessary to our well-being. Combine this with a political system that thinks it can legislate on how many potatoes I eat every day (3 egg-sized ones in case you'd forgotten), and how many pints of beer I'm allowed to drink, and the wonder is, why we went for Gatso cameras and not driver training and education.

Whilst the powers that be — of whatever political persuasion — believe that we can't think for ourselves, and fail to train us so that we can make our own choices, is it any wonder that speed bumps, road narrowing, traffic "calming", 50mph speed limits and Gatsos are springing up like triffids?

As I said, I believe that speeding in a 30mph limit (where it's reasonably imposed) is stupid — but why not educate the driver to see why rather than slapping him 3 points and a £40 fine when he gets it wrong? If you're lucky enough to get stopped by a traffic officer, you'll at least get an explanation of why 50mph in a 30mph zone isn't very clever — but given the woeful underfunding and undermanning of the police, your chances of being Gatsoed are rather better. And if you think it's bad now, just wait until speed enforcement is privatised...

Cameras, humps, restrictions and ridiculous speed limits do not stop dangerous driving — they stop fast driving. But which is more dangerous, the cretin who persistently intimidates other drivers by driving on their bumpers and undertaking, or the trained, alert driver running at 80mph on an open A class road? How many accidents are there in Formula 1 each season in comparison with just a week on the roads? Speed is not the problem.

How about this as an idea — and before you dismiss it as the ravings of a young whippersnapper barely turned 30, give it a thought: Let's not legislate any more, maybe even throw out a few rules, let's chuck the cameras away, flatten the humps, take out the restrictions and do a little training and education. Let's make ongoing training a condition of retaining a driving licence, and start (horror of horrors) incentivising good driving rather than doing the good old British thing of penalising bad driving.

Of course, Nanny won't buy it. If people can think for themselves, she's looking down the business end of what the personnel people call an "involuntary career break". Maybe she could take up smoking, start drinking scotch, learn to bungee jump and take over Jeremy Clarkson's slot on "Top Gear" instead...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny

The Roundy, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼