Bonfire Night

wiki tells us;

St. John's Eve (or Oiche Fheile Eoin (Bonfire Night)) is celebrated in many parts of rural Ireland with the lighting of bonfires. This ancient custom has its roots in pre-Christian Irish society when the Celts honored the Goddess Áine, the Celtic equivalent of Venus and Aphrodite. She was the Goddess Queen of Munster and Christianised rituals in her honour (as Naomh Áine) took place until the nineteenth century on Knockainy, (Cnoc Áine - the Hill of Áine) in County Limerick.

There for ye now.

ma_001BurningCattle.jpg

rookie mistake on my part

:oops:

Wiki also tells us its a west and south thing. So Cork Galway and Mayo ish. Ive been in Cork 18 months now and dont remember anything last year about it.

So what happens? A load of fools setting fire to tyres?

Wiki also tells us its a west and south thing. So Cork Galway and Mayo ish. Ive been in Cork 18 months now and dont remember anything last year about it.

So what happens? A load of fools setting fire to tyres?

Wiki is hardly a definitative source of knowledge, but yeah, it's St. John's Eve. Most likely a Christianisation of pre-Christian festivities connected with the summer solstice, i.e. Midsummer.

You gotta love bonna night. My best memory involves a shed load of underage drinking and a first real kiss...sigh...

I shifted my best buddies sister, he was not impressed.

I managed to get hit with an aerosol can and rushed straight to hospital in the summer of 94 , also I knocked myself out with a door I was carrying to the bonfire , got me first wank in a ditch close to the bonfire that night.

Good times.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Toucan
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

11th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼