Argos goes bang

It's a pity they didn't have a fall back option like this in Ireland. Fortunately for the UK they shuttered the standalone units and moved them into Sainsbury's obviously creating a big logistics centre in the background to be able to provide next day delivery on most things.

Have Argos provided a reason behind the closure? I blame Brexit and the overhead wasn't worth the logistical faff for the small to negative profit it was making in the Ireland
Yeah that's it. Sainsbury are in a handy position too. Their clothes range and Habitat are doing pretty well too I think. They had massive floorspace in many retail units so sticking Argos in was a no brainer.

Have Argos provided a reason behind the closure?

Sales down 21% last year and a loss of €13 million
-

Damian O'Reilly, a lecturer in retail management at TUD, told RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne that the news regarding Argos was not expected and shows that the company "made a very quick decision".

He said that from reviewing the accounts from last year, sales were down over 21% and the company had a loss of over €13m.

"The company wasn't performing particularly well," he said, adding that the stores were expensive to run in expensive locations and had lots of costs associated with them.

He said that the buy online and pick up in store model had not worked for Argos, as people want to buy online and pick up in their locality, not in expensive locations.

It's a pity they didn't have a fall back option like this in Ireland. Fortunately for the UK they shuttered the standalone units and moved them into Sainsbury's obviously creating a big logistics centre in the background to be able to provide next day delivery on most things.

Have Argos provided a reason behind the closure? I blame Brexit and the overhead wasn't worth the logistical faff for the small to negative profit it was making in the Ireland
It was a doomed business model since online shopping become a major thing.

This is going to leave a massive gap in retail parks all over the country. And whatever about Cork where I'd imagine jobs won't be hard to find, if you're living in Cavan and your job in Argos is your livelihood, this must be awful.

This is going to leave a massive gap in retail parks all over the country. And whatever about Cork where I'd imagine jobs won't be hard to find, if you're living in Cavan and your job in Argos is your livelihood, this must be awful.
Ok the country is not in recession and I can't see one coming either.
Times could be a lot worse for these staff members but they will get redundancy payments and let's be honest, there are plenty of jobs available currently.
Is it shit for them now, absolutely.
But come the summer/ autumn and any of them who want other jobs will find them

Ok the country is not in recession and I can't see one coming either.
Times could be a lot worse for these staff members but they will get redundancy payments and let's be honest, there are plenty of jobs available currently.
Is it shit for them now, absolutely.
But come the summer/ autumn and any of them who want other jobs will find them
Maybe in hospitality with shit pay and conditions,

to be fair you could see it death, remember when you'd buy something and they be queueing at your collection point with loads of others waiting for your number..there hasn't been queues for years

I love the one in Blackpool. Really handy place to buy household items like kettles etc. I'm pretty upset about this if I'm honest. They sell a really wide range of stock. Someone said they got rid of the catalogue in the shop so it was a while back I was in there then.
I bought a spider catcher for 13 euro. Best money ever spent.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Rebel Comedy Club

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼