Analytics in Football - Official Thread

I noticed that FBref has some decent metrics around ball carrying, including the one below. It's a bit of a mouthfull, but fairly intuitive.

1676399171541.png

I used it to create the graphic below. Certainly passes the initial smell test - as it's dominated by creative players who have had strong seasons so far & are known for their dribbling.

1676399092850.png

A different kind of analytics, with amazing results.

Fulham were taking the piss big time at both ends of the pitch this season.

A relegation struggle awaits. Unfortunately, it looks like the betting markets are well aware.

Edit: although, 4/1 is looking a bit appealing now. Bet365 opened at 10/3 yesterday.

Back from hols and end of season spoof...I mean Spreadsheets are complete.

A little bit boring this year, compared to last (when the rise of the likes of Lorient, Clermont, Mallorca and Real Sociedad along with the troubles of Leicester, Wolves, Liverpool and Real Madrid* were predicted in the numbers).

Top 4 + Farmers' League Positives: Wolves.

Top 4 + Farmers' League Negatives: Aston Villa, Fulham, Lens, Lyon, Juventus, Lazio, Atletico Madrid*, Barcelona*, Villarreal*.

*It's always difficult to predict anything absolutely wild happening in La Liga but Real finishing 10 points behind Barcelona could be referred to as troublesome.

Main takes from the above for the season to come:

I wouldn't necessarily predict Wolves to finish top half, but 4/1 can be got currently which is probably worth a shot.
I'd be a bit more bullish about Villa to finish bottom half at 13/8 given the fierce competition at the top end.
Alternatively, Wolves to finish higher than Villa is also currently 4/1. Possibly a better bet than Wolves top half.
Fulham to be relegated has been covered by me previously. It might not happen but the overachievement of last season at both ends sticks out and I can't see anything but struggle.
Real Madrid to win La Liga is 11/10 currently. That seems a very un-Cloudylike call given that they are favs but Barcelona massively overachieved on the defensive end last season so I think a reversal is well on the cards there given that Atletico also overachieved their defensive numbers to a fairly unsustainable amount last season and there's pretty much nobody else who can win this league.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼