Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Today was very depressing. I was afraid of an ambush but after the first half shock we got level but we weren’t good enough to win.
What do we do next? Give the same team another chance with minor adjustments or go for broke and make major changes. I lean strongly towards the latter. Today it was clear that certain players hadn’t the pace for this level. CL, PH, SH, ST and DC could not be surprised to be dropped. For FB we could try ER or ED. Only AC and SB delivered as forwards. If fit DD and ROF should take two spots. DF could play at 11 and BH and JOC should also be seriously considered. If P Power is fit I’d pick him.
We cannot continue with a lightweight midfield. BR, TOM and ET have the required aggression. All could also contend for forward places.
Whatever 15 we put out we must demand work rate. I’m getting pissed off at Cork winning only a small percentage of rucks. Failure to meet thes requirements should be obvious after 15 minutes and changes made then if required.

Here we go now from the Fantasy Purists here now:

The ref rode us. Bla bla bla. STOP.
Barrett and Connolly kept us AFLOAT.
Ryan clearly not good enough Lehane should have been hooked at half time along with Hoggy but oopsie who comes off!!!
Damien Cahalane and Sean O'Donoghue cannot go man to man but we persist. Why?. This is a 15 year comedy show.
Seán ODonoghue was one of the best players on that pitch. Shackled Dessie . 1 point from play . That’s a sign of a good corner back . What planet are you on ?

I think there's huge lessons to be learned by management and the problem is that they aren't learning quick enough.

The attitude to the league games in terms of reviewing individual performances was absolutely bonkers imo....looking at a player's performances in competitive games is absolutely more relevant than in house games or trainings.

If you looked at who performed well during the league and who did or didn't play well today I think you'd see a strong correlation in performance.

Playing both Coleman and TOC at WB today for spells was absolute insanity both struggled in the air as they have done before.

Hoggy and Lehane replicated their league performances...both have been amazing players and I'm not slagging them off...but again no surprise to see them struggle to get into the game or make an impact when they did. We can't play them and Harnedy on the same 15 going forward surely?

Barrett, Alan Connolly and Fitz were superb. Barrett was 3/5 with his shooting which is better. He needs to tidy up his tackling.

I thought Sean Twomey was unlucky. His role seemed be a bit mashed up and he certainly wasn't targeted enough from puckouts or general play with the type of ball he needs. If that's the plan then don't play him at all.

Eoin Downey and Eoin Roche unlucky not to start in the backs imo. Both didn't put a foot wrong in the league from what I saw.

I'd also rate Hayes a lot higher than others. He's a bit awkward at times yes but he's pretty effective and close to goal would be better foil for Connolly who now looks our best inside forward by a distance.

Today was very depressing. I was afraid of an ambush but after the first half shock we got level but we weren’t good enough to win.
What do we do next? Give the same team another chance with minor adjustments or go for broke and make major changes. I lean strongly towards the latter. Today it was clear that certain players hadn’t the pace for this level. CL, PH, SH, ST and DC could not be surprised to be dropped. For FB we could try ER or ED. Only AC and SB delivered as forwards. If fit DD and ROF should take two spots. DF could play at 11 and BH and JOC should also be seriously considered. If P Power is fit I’d pick him.
We cannot continue with a lightweight midfield. BR, TOM and ET have the required aggression. All could also contend for forward places.
Whatever 15 we put out we must demand work rate. I’m getting pissed off at Cork winning only a small percentage of rucks. Failure to meet thes requirements should be obvious after 15 minutes and changes made then if required.
This is how it works, Pat Ryan and his selectors pick their team based on challenge matches, AvB games and training. Baring injuries, the 15 today were the ones performing and nobody else were putting their hands up to take their jerseys off them. A sad indictment I know but we are were are.

I said yesterday if we don’t match Waterford for energy or work rate we won’t win that game and that is exactly what happened.

TOC was having a great game in midfield and moving him to wing back was suicidal in my opinion he isn’t tall enough and lost his duels, this is no criticism of Tommy as he’ll do what is asked of him.

Also when chasing a game I can’t for life of me understand why you would bring on Luke Meade over TOM who has the ability to change a game, When you need a miracle the odds are in your favour with Tim on the pitch

I was absolutely furious after the game and I think management got it wrong.

After a few hours to calm down and reflect I know a lot of good hurling people in Waterford who have been absolutely depressed over the last few year and I’m happy for them the better team won today and fair play to them.

Do or die in the pairc next week and a lot of fellas need to do a bit of soul searching this week as today was completely unacceptable, Dara Fitz, Shane Barrett, Alan Connelly and Joyce done well at times.

I expected so much from this group today and feel completely deflated

This is how it works, Pat Ryan and his selectors pick their team based on challenge matches, AvB games and training. Baring injuries, the 15 today were the ones performing and nobody else were putting their hands up to take their jerseys off them. A sad indictment I know but we are were are.
I agree and I got behind the team that was picked trusting PR and the team but the in game management and sub selection was shocking imo.

Granted a sending off does change the shape and probably he wanted to stay in the game and contain Waterford but not giving a guy like Tim who has proven to be a game changer a go is completely nuts imo.

Hoggie, Harnedy & Lehane Can’t play next week, 1or 2 yes but not all 3

Your can’t go off a training game. There is a lot going on to during games off the ball. Fellas will be doing things to upset the player their marking . There is lots going on that you can’t do in a training game . You hardly want to be upsetting your teammate and saying personal shit to him and butting him with the Hurley and trying to upset him . Some players love all that and come championship turn into different animals . Players like lehane will prob show up well in a training match but I say he is easily made uncomfortable from opposition defenders . You need heart at the end of the day and no doubt young Downey has that in him . The management are a disgrace . I wouldn’t let Pat Ryan run a lemonade stand down the Pairc next Sunday never mind pick a cork team

For what seems like decades we can’t win our own puckouts
Hayes always seems to come out with it somehow whenever the ball comes his way
Put him and TOM in half forward line next week enough with Lehane it’s like a bad joke you know after 5 mins he’s gonna have a bad day
Coleman to midfield next day himself and Darragh prob 7 or 8 points from midfield
TOC some player but where do u play him
Eoin Downey in at 7
MC DF
BH TOM ROF
PH AC SB
might actually win some ball and get some scores
None of those 3 will start next week hf harnedy and Lehane will be in guaranteed

Not sure why PR talks about Waterford bringing intensity. Where was our intensity? This interview is like yesterdays performance, abject.
We were so far off the pace, spine of the team was weak. We got dominated physically.
We need the reaction from a team of brothers who are going to war. Pat and his team are in last chance saloon. Have they improved us from where KK left us?
for Clare: this won’t happen but I think it’s a team that can compete. If Shane O Donnell is playing on Cahalane, we are fucked. Eoin Roche had a good league or E Downey.
PC
SOD,ER,NOL,
GM,CJ,RD
MC,TOM
DD,DF,SH
SB,AC,BH

ROF, SK,JOC to come on. Hope
PP gets some game time.
Lastly: surely Hoggie gets shown up in training? He can’t run.
If he starts anymore games for Cork then the system has failed. It’s time the younger boys got the run they deserve and are more suited to the modern game.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼