Cork in the 1980's

Seem to remember there was a bit of angst between Man U and LUFC supporters at a game out in Musgrave Park with the "Man U, Man U up in an aeroplane" chant 😞 back in the day.

Still remember when Cormac Cotter (Bring on the plank) tried to make a name for himself by kicking Mark Hughes. The Man U players were NOT happy :cool:
🤔
I was at that game. 0-0.
Spoke to Alex Ferguson after it.

I remember going to Chelsea game bt I thought it was TC ? Maybe that was a different game and can’t remember anything about that accident. I’m definitely losing memory . I remember the Chelsea game and think Elliot centre half was Chelsea captain as only thing I remember from game was he going ballistic after a bad tackle on a Chelsea player but it was definitely TC not sure what year .
Bishopstown again. Remember Elliot, and Vinnie Jones. The Chelsea fans were in the stand(in front of it, as it was not completed at that stage) at the Curaheen End who would break into an accelerando of Oi-Oi-Oi-Oi etc. Choca full of tight haircuts, moustaches, beer guts, tattoos and sovereign rings.

One geezer planked himself at the City end by accident. Draped in a St. George Cross flag and a bag of duty free in hand. Took his stick and fkd off at half time.

Seem to remember there was a bit of angst between Man U and LUFC supporters at a game out in Musgrave Park with the "Man U, Man U up in an aeroplane" chant 😞 back in the day.

Still remember when Cormac Cotter (Bring on the plank) tried to make a name for himself by kicking Mark Hughes. The Man U players were NOT happy :cool:
I’d completely forgotten about that

:lol!:

Some great memories of going to CCFC (and even Hibs and Alberts) games - for a while in Curaheen but mainly down the Cross/Box. Hibs in the Lodge and "please sir can I go in with you".

Back before the seats went in The Shed in the Cross everyone seemed to have their "own place" within it. You'd see the same fellahs in much the same place every second Sunday. And you'd have nicknames for them without ever even knowing them. Occasionally went up the St Annes end if I was bringing in the kids when they were very young and even either side once or twice, but The Shed was where the raw emotion was and where you could let yer hair down giving vent to your emotions - even included a swearie or two now and then but as we got older we tempered our language and general outlook. And the many sad days made the great days all the better. Simpler times before Financial Doping swamped the game.

Some great memories of going to CCFC (and even Hibs and Alberts) games - for a while in Curaheen but mainly down the Cross/Box. Hibs in the Lodge and "please sir can I go in with you".

Back before the seats went in The Shed in the Cross everyone seemed to have their "own place" within it. You'd see the same fellahs in much the same place every second Sunday. And you'd have nicknames for them without ever even knowing them. Occasionally went up the St Annes end if I was bringing in the kids when they were very young and even either side once or twice, but The Shed was where the raw emotion was and where you could let yer hair down giving vent to your emotions - even included a swearie or two now and then but as we got older we tempered our language and general outlook. And the many sad days made the great days all the better. Simpler times before Financial Doping swamped the game.
Graduated from the front with my programme and sweets to the back with hash and cans.

🤔
I was at that game. 0-0.
Spoke to Alex Ferguson after it.
I remember watching Cork City v Spurs in 1989 at Musgrave Park. Think it finished 3-0 Spurs. Gary Leineker got his first Spurs goal in the match. I was right behind the goal sitting on the grass for it. Got told to fuck off back over the fence or wall by a steward. I remember Paul Gasgoinge being unplayable that day. He took the piss. City players couldnt get near him. He got a standing ovation at the end.

Bishopstown again. Remember Elliot, and Vinnie Jones. The Chelsea fans were in the stand(in front of it, as it was not completed at that stage) at the Curaheen End who would break into an accelerando of Oi-Oi-Oi-Oi etc. Choca full of tight haircuts, moustaches, beer guts, tattoos and sovereign rings.

One geezer planked himself at the City end by accident. Draped in a St. George Cross flag and a bag of duty free in hand. Took his stick and fkd off at half time.
Neanderthal bastards

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Sweet East (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼