Cork u20 Hurling 2023

Seriously lads the attention being paid to social media commentary on the game here is nonsense. These are no mark people who probably never played competitive sport at any level.
There was one talking point in the game that referee got wrong and that has been acknowledged here by everyone.
Players been pulled down? So what it happens in sports across the globe. It shows will to win at all costs, I’m all for it.
Ben O Connor said it yesterday, they would have done the same given the chances, ffs there was an AI title on the line.

Hopefully the dispropotionate attention lavished on the one tackle in an underage final will spur the powers that be to direct refs to start dishing out reds for any head high challenges, lay down the marker with the 2 provincial finals on Sunday.
The "swallow the whistle, let the game flow" brigade who changed their tune to castigate this Cork U20 team will no doubt change their tune again.

It has to be sorted though, and it MUST start at senior level.
Offaly need to look at themselves.. sending out children to be ravaged in an AI final by young men.. the emotions got the better of em all.. Bar the one incident, Corks backs really gave em an impeccably sweet dose of reality.

Seriously lads the attention being paid to social media commentary on the game here is nonsense. These are no mark people who probably never played competitive sport at any level.
There was one talking point in the game that referee got wrong and that has been acknowledged here by everyone.
Players been pulled down? So what it happens in sports across the globe. It shows will to win at all costs, I’m all for it.
Ben O Connor said it yesterday, they would have done the same given the chances, ffs there was an AI title on the line.
People criticising Downey for pulling down the Offaly fella who was through on goal is laughable. Do they expect him to just let him score without trying to stop him. Downey did the right thing and got his yellow. If the black card rule was in place he would’ve got it deservedly, however the rule isn’t in place for u20. Not his fault.

Have been watching Kingston play with the club across both codes for years, and whilst he’s physical, I can’t ever recall even seeing him get booked.

One mistimed tackle (which was absolutely a red as everyone will agree) and suddenly him and Cork are violent thugs across the board.

Yes the reffing of games needs looking at across the board and it’s obviously hard to implement certain things given the pace, but some of the online reaction to this specific game has been absolutely mental.

Have been watching Kingston play with the club across both codes for years, and whilst he’s physical, I can’t ever recall even seeing him get booked.

One mistimed tackle (which was absolutely a red as everyone will agree) and suddenly him and Cork are violent thugs across the board.

Yes the reffing of games needs looking at across the board and it’s obviously hard to implement certain things given the pace, but some of the online reaction to this specific game has been absolutely mental.
One mistimed tackle Sunday. Two in the Cork game last week, more the week before.
One of these days some young lad will get his neck broken etc and be crippled. Then the it's a man's game brigade will be nowhere to be seen.
I don't blame the players, they do everything they can to win. The officiating is nothing short of disgraceful however.

One mistimed tackle Sunday. Two in the Cork game last week, more the week before.
One of these days some young lad will get his neck broken etc and be crippled. Then the it's a man's game brigade will be nowhere to be seen.
I don't blame the players, they do everything they can to win. The officiating is nothing short of disgraceful however.
Oh I agree, not condoning it by any means and have said on here before that a bad injury is inevitable with the way things are going. Officiating needs serious action regarding these challenges.

Just finding the irony in the sudden spark in outrage against Cork when this has been going on for seasons at this point across both club and county games and has still yet to be addressed in any meaningful manner.

Hayes was very prominent all through R&B - would have been another classic Kyle Hayes goal if he didn’t pass to Gillane who missed a sitter. He was distributing great ball into Gillane and Flanagan.

Roche was hooked after just after half time (37th minute) iirc - and Hayes coninued to dominate

No shame in saying he struggled against KH.
It’s mad how people can see the same game so differently

They were right in front of me in the first half and I can say for certain Hayes did not dominate Roche, in fact Hayes got very frustrated because Brian got in close and kept moving the ball away from Hayes at every opportunity. Hayes is a fantastic player and obviously still had his moments in that game but most of them, bar the run when he passed to Gillane, were in the second half when Brian was gone off

Jaysus Cork are on the way back and they just might become dominant. Quick, let's clamp down on the refs and change the rules!

Reminds me of a story I heard about when they outlawed the 3rd man tackle in the late 60s/early 70s? Christy Ring was allegedly talking to his brother Willie-John about it and WJ said "Great, Tipp won't be winning as many All Irelands now"

Omg! Roche had a very good game against Limerick, he done exactly what he was asked to do, spoil and curtail Kyle Hayes. I don’t know was he injured or had an empty tank but he definitely was taken offf for one of those reasons. Hayes thundered into the game when Brian went off which says it all really

We should make no apologies to anyone for using our physical advantage last Sunday. It’s about time we started doing it. However the Shane Kingston elbow was very dangerous and he should have been sent off. It’s about time we got the rub of the green on refereeing decisions but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the GAA need to step in before somebody is very seriously injured
Don't worry, they will step in now that Cork are getting physical. It'll be the Nash penalty all over again.

The amount of whining about one incident is completely OTT. I feel a bit sorry for Kingston now. I hope he's not inclined to take any of this shit to heart. It was a bad challenge and he should have been set off, but for my eyes, there was no intent. He attempted to hit a smaller man with a shoulder and caught him on the head. Like I say, dangerous play, red card, but I really wish people would calm the fuck down. He didn't try to shoot him, and he's a teenager himself.

Some of this phenomenon is due to bad coaching. There is more skill in timing a shoulder than many seem to realise. It's more about having his body bounce/move into your uncoming shoulder, than it is about just going hell for leather to clean him out. If you can hit a guy just right, it takes less force than you'd think to knock him down. His being just off balance when he hits you, does half the work. If Cork are going down this road, you'd hope the coaching will improve.

But, excepting that one error in judgement, Kingston did a great job, has a big future, and deserves a lot of credit.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Roamer
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

10th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼