Cork u20 Hurling 2023

Except the ref was really slow dishing out cards so it worked in spades. The issue i

You can fire abuse about all you like and behave like a spoiled toddler but the facts are there.
Offaly broke through cork rugby tackled
When Mullins breaks through the Offaly number 6(red helmet left handed hurler) has 3 choices
1 shoulder to the chest
2 rugby tackle
3 attempt to dispossess

He does the latter with zero conviction.
So the contention that Offaly would do the same just isn't true.

He had a clear opportunity to take Mullins out and didn't.

Now you can cry and whinge about it as much as you like but cork stepped over the line repeatedly in the game and you have said above that you are thrilled about the way they won.

That's a completely valid honest position to take.
There is a hardness about this cork team that could serve them well.

What you can't have is for everyone else who saw the same game agreeing with you that the ref was right.
Kingston should have been yellow carded for the first foul on screeney and gone after the penalty
Howell should have been yellow carded after the 2nd deliberate foul on screeney.
It was weak refereeing.

The sending off would have completely changed the game because it would either have taken away the cover on screeney or given Offaly 6 on 4 at the back.

Now toddle off and watch Mullins goal and explain again where the 6 had no chance to take him out
Child
To repeat:

"We could not be more pleased with this win, with this group of lads and with the way they went about their business, get used to it tan"

The irony of a Clare man coming in to tell us off about physicality from our U20 team when the Clare senior team will once again be leading the way in the dirtbag derby stakes in the game v Limerick on Sunday.
Just as they did in the round robin game that they squeaked by a point, and the drawn game from last year.

Y'know the one where the ref "swallowed the whistle" in order to keep it 15 v 15.

Ain't nobody here condoning or endorsing the head high tackle. Nobody.
But nobody is going to back down and apologise for any of the other on the edge stuff that went on.
It goes on in every single game from Clare so lay off with the hypocrisy and guidance for Cork to play "nice"
We'll do that when everyone else is held to that standard, as we know just how much that would benefit us 🙂

Except the ref was really slow dishing out cards so it worked in spades. The issue i

You can fire abuse about all you like and behave like a spoiled toddler but the facts are there.
When Mullins breaks through the Offaly number 6(red helmet left handed hurler) has 3 choices
1 shoulder to the chest
2 rugby tackle
3 attempt to dispossess

Now you can cry and whinge about it as much as you like but cork stepped over the line repeatedly in the game and you have said above that you are thrilled about the way they won.

What you can't have is for everyone else who saw the same game agreeing with you that the ref was right.
Kingston should have been yellow carded for the first foul on screeney and gone after the penalty
Howell should have been yellow carded after the 2nd deliberate foul on screeney.
It was weak refereeing.

The sending off would have completely changed the game because it would either have taken away the cover on screeney or given Offaly 6 on 4 at the back.

Now toddle off and watch Mullins goal and explain again where the 6 had no chance to take him out
Child
I don't think anybody has said that the Kingston tackle was anything but a red card.

Apart from that I can't remember many other incidents where Cork stepped over the line. There was a huge difference in terms of physicality between the two teams, much more than between any of the Munster teams. In fact I clearly remember frees against Cork that went against them simply because they were simply to strong for Offaly.

Before the game last Sunday I don't think I remember any comments about the over physicality of the Cork team against Limerick, Clare x2, Waterford and Tipperary. We know that Ben O Connor was sent off against Limerick and was lucky against Clare but I don't remember anybody suggesting they were malicious incidents , just a lad who timing and touch were not in because he had played so little.

The Cork team, in my opinion, did nothing more than you see in every single senior inter county game and it is Offaly who have to get physically up to speed if they hope tp ever compete with Kilkenny and Galway in Leinster, never mind the Munster teams.

Regarding the Offaly centre back, if he didn't stop Mullins then he failed in his job of blocking the middle and that will undoubtedly be pointed out to him by his management team. If not, then Offaly are going nowhere fast.

As a general point, the Kingston tackle just like the Flanagan, Maher, Barrett and others in different games should all be immediate red cards.

1 shoulder to the chest
2 rugby tackle
3 attempt to dispossess

It was weak refereeing.

Child
Loving your continued rattlement TAN. Is Tony Kelly out of intensive care yet?

I think both TAN and North Cork are basically right. Cork didn't do anything which many other teams have been doing (including a shoulder to the head), and the referee should have come down much more severely on them but didn't (again, like many other referees).

The one thing I would disagree with North Cork about regards whether or not Cork players crossed the line other than the Kingston challenge. I thought there were a few other incidents (e.g., Downey's pull across Screeney and his rugby tackle) which I personally don't like seeing, whether done by a Cork player or by someone from a different team. But I accept that this understanding of 'crossing the line' is to some extent subjective.

1 shoulder to the chest
2 rugby tackle
3 attempt to dispossess

It was weak refereeing.

Child
Hey tan, are you okay?
You seem even more stressed out than normal over all things Cork.
We all know of your intense hatred of cork ( a quick trip over to the clare hurling forum will confirm that, you use the same username, rookie mistake).
You normally make a better attempt at camouflaging your rage when coming on here and when trying to piss down our backs while telling us it's raining. You are fooling no-one bar yourself and we tolerate you on account of our gracious Cork nature and the comic relief you supply.
But you now seem to have gone off the rails so we are all worried about you. Will you be okay tan?

I think both TAN and North Cork are basically right. Cork didn't do anything which many other teams have been doing (including a shoulder to the head), and the referee should have come down much more severely on them but didn't (again, like many other referees).

The one thing I would disagree with North Cork about regards whether or not Cork players crossed the line other than the Kingston challenge. I thought there were a few other incidents (e.g., Downey's pull across Screeney and his rugby tackle) which I personally don't like seeing, whether done by a Cork player or by someone from a different team. But I accept that this understanding of 'crossing the line' is to some extent subjective.
KYS.
The black card was brought in to get rid of the rugby style tackle that Downey made and I think that was a good idea, however we would have been disappointed if Downey had simply let the player waltz past him. At the highest level it is a results based game. At the same time although a professional foul it was not a foul that would cause injury.
I think in all inter county games you will see incidents of players pulling across another several times a game.
I don't think you can eliminate that without fundamentally changing the entire game.

This game is as close as you can get to senior inter county hurling at under age level and probably every player on the pitch will have ambitions to step up to the next level.

These lads are playing for their futures as well as the medal on the day.
As Seamus Kennedy famously said... they are playing senior hurling now.

1 shoulder to the chest
2 rugby tackle
3 attempt to dispossess

It was weak refereeing.

Child
Clare are the most cynical team in the country and as much as I don’t like limerick I hope Clare are sent home with their tail between their legs after being well beaten in Munster final. Like it or not diving and feigning injury is the lowest of the low in sport but Clare have it coached into them for last 2 yrs. There is a referee there to patrol red/yellow cards for dirty play but the carry on of Clare is on a different level and diving feigning injury is hard to deal with. Can’t wait for the outcry again when their 1/4 final is fixed for PUC. Them pricks won’t travel anywhere.

KYS.
The black card was brought in to get rid of the rugby style tackle that Downey made and I think that was a good idea, however we would have been disappointed if Downey had simply let the player waltz past him. At the highest level it is a results based game. At the same time although a professional foul it was not a foul that would cause injury.
I think in all inter county games you will see incidents of players pulling across another several times a game.
I don't think you can eliminate that without fundamentally changing the entire game.

This game is as close as you can get to senior inter county hurling at under age level and probably every player on the pitch will have ambitions to step up to the next level.

These lads are playing for their futures as well as the medal on the day.
As Seamus Kennedy famously said... they are playing senior hurling now.
I've heard the 'it would be worse if Downey had let him stroll past' line several times in the past few days. It's specious - it's not as though the only options avaible to him were (a) rugby tackle, or (b) usher the Offaly player through on goal. For starters, Downey shouldn't have been rounded so easily, and even then he could have chased back and looked to hook the player.

I never suggested that Downey's tackle would have caused an injury. I dislike it because of the blatant cynicism - as I said, some people don't mind that sort of thing, personally I would rather players not do it. In that respect it's like a lot of other cynical fouls which usually don't cause injury, e.g., tripping a player or diving to win a free.

On players pulling across each other, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I think it's often lazy, and it certainly can be dangerous. There are genuine accidents, i.e., where a player pulls on a loose ball and the follow-through happens to catch another player on the hand. What Downey did in his challenge on Screeney was not like that, imo. Screeney was soloing, and the player looking to disposses him shouldn't be allowed to swipe wildly across him in the general vicinity of the ball. Again, just my opinion.

I've heard the 'it would be worse if Downey had let him stroll past' line several times in the past few days. It's specious - it's not as though the only options avaible to him were (a) rugby tackle, or (b) usher the Offaly player through on goal. For starters, Downey shouldn't have been rounded so easily, and even then he could have chased back and looked to hook the player.

I never suggested that Downey's tackle would have caused an injury. I dislike it because of the blatant cynicism - as I said, some people don't mind that sort of thing, personally I would rather players not do it. In that respect it's like a lot of other cynical fouls which usually don't cause injury, e.g., tripping a player or diving to win a free.

On players pulling across each other, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I think it's often lazy, and it certainly can be dangerous. There are genuine accidents, i.e., where a player pulls on a loose ball and the follow-through happens to catch another player on the hand. What Downey did in his challenge on Screeney was not like that, imo. Screeney was soloing, and the player looking to disposses him shouldn't be allowed to swipe wildly across him in the general vicinity of the ball. Again, just my opinion.
I agree that Downey let the player past him far too easily but once that happened I think he needed to do what he did.

I was really replying to TAN when making the comment about the player not being injured when tackled by Downey. He made the point that Cork were over the top at times and that implies to me dangerous or reckless play such as the Kingston incident. I genuinely don't remember much of that in the game.

I cannot remember a final before where two teams were so totally mismatched physically and that included Senior where we have been looking at the most physical team to ever play hurling in Limerick.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Son Of Crazy Chester

Coughlan's, Today @ 10:30pm

More events ▼