Cork u20 Hurling 2023

I think that people do not understand the role that Brian Roche was playing against Limerick.
He was doing a man marking job on Kyle Hayes for most of the first half and was generally very effective.
He was playing as a defensive wing forward rather than as a midfielder.

I think he emptied the tank and then was replaced. I didn't think he was poor at all tbh.

Physically the game on Sunday was a mismatch.
Offaly got a couple of frees, one off of Downey, which were not frees at all just a stronger lad able to move a weaker lad off the ball.

The big story would have been Offaly winning and we spoiled that....I think we will spoil a few more stories in the coming years
It’s the classic example of having to be at the game. People watching on tv wouldn’t have known what Brian was asked to do. Though to me it looked like he was asked to drop back into midfield when possible but also be up next to Hayes when necessary, which was a difficult task.

It’s the classic example of having to be at the game. People watching on tv wouldn’t have known what Brian was asked to do. Though to me it looked like he was asked to drop back into midfield when possible but also be up next to Hayes when necessary, which was a difficult task.
As is often said, us as spectators don’t know the managers instructions or role the players are actually playing to.

I think that people do not understand the role that Brian Roche was playing against Limerick.
He was doing a man marking job on Kyle Hayes for most of the first half and was generally very effective.
He was playing as a defensive wing forward rather than as a midfielder.

I think he emptied the tank and then was replaced. I didn't think he was poor at all tbh.

Omg! Roche had a very good game against Limerick, he done exactly what he was asked to do, spoil and curtail Kyle Hayes. I don’t know was he injured or had an empty tank but he definitely was taken offf for one of those reasons. Hayes thundered into the game when Brian went off which says it all really
Physically the game on Sunday was a mismatch.
Offaly got a couple of frees, one off of Downey, which were not frees at all just a stronger lad able to move a weaker lad off the ball.

The big story would have been Offaly winning and we spoiled that....I think we will spoil a few more stories in the coming years
We should make no apologies to anyone for using our physical advantage last Sunday. It’s about time we started doing it. However the Shane Kingston elbow was very dangerous and he should have been sent off. It’s about time we got the rub of the green on refereeing decisions but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the GAA need to step in before somebody is very seriously injured

Was it sustained from that tackle? Fair enough if it was, just saying it didn't look a particularly bad hit to me, nothing like Kingston's foul for the penalty.
You might be right
Brian Roche had a poor game v Limerick and was withdrawn, are you suggesting dropping Darragh Fitzgibbon or moving him to the forwards by playing Roche & Mullins mid-field because I don't think he's a natural forward, much more at home as a mid-fielder and he scored 4 points v Limerick.

Incorrect, Cork made the mistake by not targeting Adam Screeney, if they did the management would have selected Darragh O'Sullivan to mark him and the Faithful fans as well as the anti-Cork brigade like yourself would have had zero excitement in the first quarter.

Regarding the O'Connor v Egan incident and the alledged 1st yellow you state Kingston should have received how were they any worse than Screeney knocking Darragh O'Sullivan over when the corner-back only stood his ground in the build up to the Kingston v Egan incident as Screeney passed to Egan? Screeney made a frontal charge and in doing so knocked a player over, it was at least a free to Cork and then the Kingston v Egan incident should be redundant.

The ref gave everything to Offaly in the 2nd half in an attempt to make the game a tight affair. The 2nd goal Offaly scored in which there was an error by Ben O'Connor in the build up came from a free against Ross O'sullivan but in fact it was clear O'Sullivan was initially fouled and pushed into the back of another Offaly player.

The Pilkington comments are a right laugh and Leo's comments are false and bitter. They remind me of the likes of Brian Cody, Seamus Durack & Ger Lougnane and Brian Whelehan's interview after Cork defeated Offaly in the 1999 AI semi-final.

That's by far the most one eyed reading of what happened after screeneys pass to Egan.

I don't think there's any doubt that I am quite happy for Cork not to be winning.
It's not anti Cork. The same applys with Tipp and Kilkenny.

However I also try to look at what's actually going on and as I said it's 100% clear to me that Cork are the best group of under 20 hurlers in the country.

That actually makes what happened Sunday worse.
Let's say Egan got a goal from play, the score doesn't change and screeney hits another goal in the first half because he isn't pulled down

Does anyone who saw Cork v limerick and especially Clare really believe that Offaly would have won?

We hit Cork with a whirlwind in the second half and they survived recovered and won

Of course Cork should be physical and hard.
They are entitled to step into lads and take no shit but when you take a risk with an opponents health you have to pay the price when you get it wrong.

How much better would the win have been if they had won the way they beat Clare.
The fact that the physicals wouldn't have worked on us due to our similar size had Cork in a better mindset that day I think

Look that's as much as I am saying on it.
There was unfairness but injustice would be false as Cork are the best u 20 team in the country

Well i told ye we would win pulling up, i was great to beat M Duignan, felt a little sorry for the Offaly followers,but they will get the same next year if we meat again. Great idea playing both finals together.

Offaly would do the same if they could.. youve to do what you’ve to do to win All Irelands.. you could go through every game and pick out individual incidents but we won the game by 8 or 9 points. Job done for Cork.
I don't think you could say that
An Offaly player with a red helmet had a chance to rugby tackle mullins and didn't I am pretty sure

Bar the hit from Kingston which was horrible and should have been a red card, what other physical stuff was over the top?
There were 2 or 3 instances of people blatantly being dragged down. Not in an especially dangerous way but with no real effort to make a legal challenge. Maybe over the top is the wrong wording but I think in an ideal world most of us wouldn’t like to see this as a feature of the game.

It’s not Cork’s fault as a county that it is a feature of the game and you certainly can’t pin it on an underage team. If you look at how games are refereed in the club championships on TG4 you could legitimately argue Cork have done more than any other county to resist it over the last 15 years or so. But it doesn’t change the fact that we were in the wrong at times over the weekend. It hasn’t diminished the achievement or the satisfaction any bit for me because we’ve been called soft and windy and told to suck it up for 20 years by all of these fellas including many on this thread and they can go fuck themselves absolutely bandy in my book. The more upset they are the better for me. But I do think when we look at it as players, coaches, parents, club people we would like hurling to look a bit different at times.

I don't think you could say that
An Offaly player with a red helmet had a chance to rugby tackle mullins and didn't I am pretty sure
My God tan but you are one onerous individual, no one and I mean no one was going to stop mullins once he set off on that run, whether by fair means or foul. And as regards your comment about the win would have been so much better, rubbish couldn't have been any better. We could not be more pleased with this win, with this group of lads and with the way they went about their business, get used to it tan

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼