Old Cork Photos

While we can rightfully give the state a kicking for a myriad of stupid things blaming them for not maintaining tram lines for 50 years on the off chance they'd become useful again is unfair. Can you imagine the abuse they would've got in the interim for "wasting taxpayers money" on maintaining "old tram lines not even being used". Nostradamus couldn't have predicted they'd become useful again.
🤔
There was more foreskin than foresight back then!

Wow imagine if we had that infrastructure now.

You got to give credit to the Brits, they did it properly.
👍
Very true Mer.
CIE were a disastrous shower who had the monopoly on public transport at the time.
They didn't want a lot of train lines. They were happy with Dublin to Cork, Limerick, Waterford Galway and Belfast. Buses for other routes. Crazy when you think that there wasn't a direct train from Cork to Limerick, without having to change at that godforsaken kip Limerick Junction.The 2nd and 3rd cities in the country with no direct link. Road between the two cities was fairly crap too.

👍
Very true Mer.
CIE were a disastrous shower who had the monopoly on public transport at the time.
They didn't want a lot of train lines. They were happy with Dublin to Cork, Limerick, Waterford Galway and Belfast. Buses for other routes. Crazy when you think that there wasn't a direct train from Cork to Limerick, without having to change at that godforsaken kip Limerick Junction.The 2nd and 3rd cities in the country with no direct link. Road between the two cities was fairly crap too.
Well said Lee.
My dad used to travel up to Limerick for rugby games back in the 70s and 80s, he said the old N20 was even worse back then and I think the width of the road is 19th century measurements!
Hopefully the M20 will move forward.

Sheep going over Patrick's Bridge in 1905. Photo in in the American Library of Congress Collection, colourised by me (John Finn)

(I found it on FB just now)

311438343_10227544837382994_776349213546763473_n.jpg

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Listen To The Birds: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼