Old Cork Photos

🤔
CIE I suppose!
Cars and buses took over I guess thus making many railways unviable but taking up the tramlines etc was an act of wanton vandalism.

Now they are planning on putting them back in of course.

Post-Independence there was a habit of ripping out anything "British" even if it acted against the newly formed states own interests.

Cars and buses took over I guess thus making many railways unviable but taking up the tramlines etc was an act of wanton vandalism.

Post-Independence there was a habit of ripping out anything "British" even if it acted against the newly formed states own interests.
đź‘Ť
Exactly Stacky.
Stupid to take up the tramlines.

Cork-Youghal and Waterford-Tramore rail lines were two examples of crazy planning. CIE played their part in this. Viable barge canals also fell into disuse.

🤔
CIE I suppose!

Little or nothing to do with a post-collonial petulance though it's a handy trope for the usual suspects to trot out :rolleyes:

"The rail system, both North and South, survived independence unscathed. The Irish Civil War was to take a much heavier toll on the railways in the newly born Irish Free State (Saorstát Éireann), as the Anti-Treaty IRA systematically targeted them and the Free State had to build a network of fortified blockhouses to protect the railways. One of the most spectacular attacks on the infrastructure was the bombing of the Mallow viaduct (see Guerrilla phase of the Irish Civil War § The war and the railways).

In 1925, the railway companies within Saorstát Éireann were merged to form the Great Southern Railways. This company was amalgamated on 1 January 1945 with the Dublin United Transport Company to form Córas Iompair Éireann."

This State ripped up so much great transport infrastructure in the last century and it will now have to spend billion of € putting it back into the cities etc.

fwiw the British government did the very same, possibly to a worse degree. I watched a progmme on this recently. Britain once had an amazing elaborate criss-cross rail system where you were never far away from a train station. They started shutting them down en masse around the same time as Paddy was building the infamous Preston bypass, M1, M6 etc. There’s the same sense of regret over there about this now.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

The Days Of Trees (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼