Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Pat Ryan apparently wasting no time getting his squad together. Been told Colin O'Brien had a phone call asking him to join the panel for the winter again. Wouldn't be surprised if Ryan is already working on getting Brian Hayes to switch codes also!
Very interesting if true. Not that O Brien got a call, I would have expected that. But that its supposedly being done within 24 hours of Ryan's appointment and 7 months before our next game. I'll be interested to hear who else he has rang already.

He clearly has a vision and plans on implementing it immediately. I'm expecting a good club championship. I would say any lad that has a good club campaign will have a more then reasonable chance of getting on the extended winter training panel and seeing where it goes from there.

I'm really hoping Wayne Sherlock comes on board. And I think he will.

Out of curiosity, what is Tom Kennys role in hurling these days. Heard him on 103fm last year and was impressed. Got the impression he had a lot to say but wasn't going to say it over radio.

Very interesting if true. Not that O Brien got a call, I would have expected that. But that its supposedly being done within 24 hours of Ryan's appointment and 7 months before our next game. I'll be interested to hear who else he has rang already.

He clearly has a vision and plans on implementing it immediately. I'm expecting a good club championship. I would say any lad that has a good club campaign will have a more then reasonable chance of getting on the extended winter training panel and seeing where it goes from there.

I'm really hoping Wayne Sherlock comes on board. And I think he will.

Out of curiosity, what is Tom Kennys role in hurling these days. Heard him on 103fm last year and was impressed. Got the impression he had a lot to say but wasn't going to say it over radio.
Coaching with UCC freshers, I think??

In truth I thought the Cork u20 management team were poor this year without pat Ryan and Wayne sherlock. The treatment of Kevin lyons was just wrong. I understand most of them will be involved in the senior set up so hopefully they will have learned.

In truth I thought the Cork u20 management team were poor this year without pat Ryan and Wayne sherlock. The treatment of Kevin lyons was just wrong. I understand most of them will be involved in the senior set up so hopefully they will have learned.
I agree and I’d be a little concerned if a few of them get promoted, give me Sherlock and Ben and I’ll be thrilled but I’m sure Pat Ryan knows best

Pat Ryan will have a fair idea already I'd imagine of the type of players he has and type of game he wants them to play.

You'd imagine in the league he'll blood 4 or 5 more of those u20 winning teams in addition to the likes of Barrett, Connolly and Joyce.

Id guess tactics will be the steepest learning curve for him. The brand of hurling the u20s played was very enjoyable. If he can implement that at senior level it's great news but as we know at senior level it's a much more tactical game.

Fast good quality ball into the forwards seemed to be the preference.. but after one or two short passes around the middle if it opened up they ran at teams too or worked a longer range shot.

They key though was the attitude and willingness of the forwards to fight for the 50/50 ball when it wasn't to their advantage. You don't have to be a giant to have that mentality.

Kilkenny mixed their game well last weekend. Limerick do the same. I think we all recognise Cork got the balance wrong until the Waterford game.

A few changes in personal, a slight change in approach and freshen up the panel and I don't think we're far off anyone with the exception of Limerick at the moment.

Few of the elder statesmen will be looking over their shoulder now which is exactly the way it should be for a squad that want to achieve major honours.

A good club championship now would be a boost for everyone.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

The Pav, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼