The train to Youghal/Waterford

As we're frequently told, trains and buses exist to meet a social need, not to turn profits.

Same as delivering a letter or the post office network.

That's why pay tax, for public services.

The social need is met by a bus service. Pumping money into a totally unviable train service would be an absurd waste of public money.

The social need is met by a bus service. Pumping money into a totally unviable train service would be an absurd waste of public money.

The bus meets a physical need but is just stuck in traffic for an hour at peak times.

Train is infinetely more attractive in that it is quick and direct into city centre.

For cobh. There is bus and train but train is infinetely better.

Was planned but went bang. Even if it was there would many people use it? The train is far too infrequent (1 per hour each direction outside of peak hours) and many people working on the IDA don't do 9-5. Doubt too many would leave the car at home with such an infrequent service.

I know for one that I would leave the car at home if there was a viable train service. There's about 25% off car insurance if you don't use it to commute to work.
I would start at 8 and the time trains leaving Midleton in the evening are 16:45,17:45,18:15,18:45. That's an hr between 16:45 and 17:45 (not ideal) and a half hr between other times. I could definitely plan my day to fit with train timetables. Timetables can also be altered to suit demand but this is Irish Rail we're dealing with...
Plenty of my colleagues already use the bus to come here but they have to walk to outside the estate to catch it. A bus stop in the estate would also make perfect sense but I suppose the unions are opposed to this as they might have to do extra work.

I know for one that I would leave the car at home if there was a viable train service. There's about 25% off car insurance if you don't use it to commute to work.
I would start at 8 and the time trains leaving Midleton in the evening are 16:45,17:45,18:15,18:45. That's an hr between 16:45 and 17:45 (not ideal) and a half hr between other times. I could definitely plan my day to fit with train timetables. Timetables can also be altered to suit demand but this is Irish Rail we're dealing with...
Plenty of my colleagues already use the bus to come here but they have to walk to outside the estate to catch it. A bus stop in the estate would also make perfect sense but I suppose the unions are opposed to this as they might have to do extra work.

Glounthaune to Midleton is single track so there's only so much capacity on the line. Having the bus go in around the estate because some people are too lazy to walk to the front gate does very little other than delay all those passengers who are not going to or from the IDA.

Glounthaune to Midleton is single track so there's only so much capacity on the line. Having the bus go in around the estate because some people are too lazy to walk to the front gate does very little other than delay all those passengers who are not going to or from the IDA.

If they can run trains every half hr at peak time, surely this can be extended a little more into off peak times if the demand was there? This is not increasing capacity on the line, it's only equaling the time intervals that already exists. Half hr intervals is grand, it's the hr in between is the issue.
The airport bus goes around the Cork airport business park delaying people going for flights. Same difference really. Public transport needs to be made more attractive to people for them to use it more. If anything, the ultimate laziness is driving your car door to door instead of walking to your nearest bus stop.

If they can run trains every half hr at peak time, surely this can be extended a little more into off peak times if the demand was there? This is not increasing capacity on the line, it's only equaling the time intervals that already exists. Half hr intervals is grand, it's the hr in between is the issue.
The airport bus goes around the Cork airport business park delaying people going for flights. Same difference really. Public transport needs to be made more attractive to people for them to use it more. If anything, the ultimate laziness is driving your car door to door instead of walking to your nearest bus stop.

There's hardly anyone on the trains during the day and they run close to empty for much of the day. Senseless and costly putting on more trains to run mostly empty.

There's hardly anyone on the trains during the day and they run close to empty for much of the day. Senseless and costly putting on more trains to run mostly empty.

I know there's hardly anyone on the trains during the day but if the stations were in the right places and timetables were better scheduled, that would surely get more people using the service?
As it is in the morning leaving Cork, the train pretty much empties out after little Island. More people would use the train leaving Cork in the morning if there were stations in the right places after little Island.

"If the stations were in the right places"

The stations are where they are and there's hardly much flex there given they have to be on the actual rail line

The issue is focusing new housing and mixed uses at higher densities around the stations and not up in north Glanmire or down in Ballinacurra.

"If the stations were in the right places"

The stations are where they are and there's hardly much flex there given they have to be on the actual rail line

The issue is focusing new housing and mixed uses at higher densities around the stations and not up in north Glanmire or down in Ballinacurra.
I totally agree with you about building new developments near existing train stations but no flex is needed with building a new train station in the middle of the Carrigtwohill IDA as the train track passes right through it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼