The train to Youghal/Waterford

Heard this on the wireless this morning. I think its a great idea, and in fairness to peejay he did say if they can find 2 BILLION for the Luas to go from city centre to Dublin airport they can find the bobs for us.

Discuss.

Poll may follow.

We had a train to Youghal.

Now we have improved roads and there is not currently the demand beyond Midleton for rail passengers.

The ripping up of the railways and tram system in Cork was very shortsighted as people are stuck in traffic and it will cost almost €500 million to put the Luas East-West line into Cork in a few years.

The Waterford greenway is superb in Dungarvan and a great tourist draw (people actually bypass Youghal to get to Dungarvan where they are swamped with tourists).

A greenway from Midleton to Youghal would work.

Youghal is depressing needs a major lift, i can see both sides yes a greenway
would be brilliant as would a trainline , but can you imagine the amount of scobes who would use the train to youghal on a sunny sunday,

Youghal is depressing needs a major lift, i can see both sides yes a greenway
would be brilliant as would a trainline , but can you imagine the amount of scobes who would use the train to youghal on a sunny sunday,

Probably why it had to close down in the first place?

Youghal is very run down which is a pity as it has great history and potential but a small number of families that own most of the town centre seem to like it crumbling down. Cobh & Kinsale are doing very well on the tourism front.

Sometime places just have to go to shite before anything good happens.

Dungarvan and West Waherferd cannot cope with the amount of tourists since the greenway opened.

Youghal is in a great location and has a colorful and interesting history but it does seem to be a bit kippy these days. Hasn’t it become a sort of commuter town for the city anyway now? The bypass has a very dangerous road layout and should have been a full dualler.

It certainly doesn’t capitalize on its location. The town Centre could do with a facelift and a big new marina built. The population of Youghal wouldn’t justify a rail link to the city.

Youghal has potential to be a charming town but it has always been (and always will probably) be a bit tatty and rough

I think it wrong to say it has always been tatty and rough. In the 60s and early 70s when we used go down there and beyond it seemed to be busy and thriving. Not sure if it's the bypass and/or the removal of the train but I was down there fairly recently and the place has gone to the dogs.

I think it wrong to say it has always been tatty and rough. In the 60s and early 70s when we used go down there and beyond it seemed to be busy and thriving. Not sure if it's the bypass and/or the removal of the train but I was down there fairly recently and the place has gone to the dogs.

Yes, it was boomtown tourism wise back in the day but cheapo holidays to Spain etc took that trade away but look at places like Kinsale and all over West Cork and they are thriving tourism wise.

It has one of the highest shop vacancy rates in Ireland but a few families run the show down there but their day is gone and the bypass should only improve the townscape potential.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼