Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Try Coleman in midfield for sure but he needs to start playing the ball more forward than back/lateral. On one occasion yesterday we played 6 short tippy tappy passes between both 65s, ending up where we started after taking some very risky options. Playing a short pass to a teammate in a worse position or who is under serious pressure is never a good idea.
It apparently is when you play for the Harlem Globetrotters of hurling

Brian O Sullivan, Ethan Twomey and Eoin Downey are 3 guys who could make a serious impact on our team over the next few years. Brian might be caught in the physical stakes but he’s a hardy fucker while the other two will be monsters after a proper weights program
One player who I definitely think needs to be given some league time next year is Brian O'Sullivan, I've seen him play with Kanturk a lot the last couple of years as well as the Cork underage teams. He's not the tallest but he's a Hardy little bastard, I've seen him play wing back, midfield and in the half forward line and I've never seen him put a foot wrong. Was the shining light of the poor U20 campaign this year . He could free up Fitzgibbon to go into the half forward line, he could free up Coleman to go into midfield. He's a great on ball player and I think he would compliment a lot of the lads around his ability wise. If Pat Ryan gets the job then I'm confident he'll use Brian at some stage.

What kills me is the 5-10 yard pass from a man who is facing towards the opposition goal 60 or 70 yards out, to a man who has his back to goal. The backs love to see it, slows down the attacks and self-nullifies the threat you have.
It’s almost a cultural thing with Coleman and a few more at this stage, it’s so ingrained they can’t resist it, of course we only tried to change course a few weeks back but certainly it needs stamping out, the amount of times it’s given to a fella retreating towards our own goal by the sideline with a defender on his back also!!!
I have a degree of sympathy as it was clear this was a direction from management to play this nonsense all the way through the league…..a strong manager would stamp this out.
Coleman is a unique talent in many ways but not a great wing back at this stage, looking back at the half back all stars winners for the last few years, winning puckouts, defending and winning ball are what marks them out

One player who I definitely think needs to be given some league time next year is Brian O'Sullivan, I've seen him play with Kanturk a lot the last couple of years as well as the Cork underage teams. He's not the tallest but he's a Hardy little bastard, I've seen him play wing back, midfield and in the half forward line and I've never seen him put a foot wrong. Was the shining light of the poor U20 campaign this year . He could free up Fitzgibbon to go into the half forward line, he could free up Coleman to go into midfield. He's a great on ball player and I think he would compliment a lot of the lads around his ability wise. If Pat Ryan gets the job then I'm confident he'll use Brian at some stage.
Agreed, great prospect

Brian O Sullivan, Ethan Twomey and Eoin Downey are 3 guys who could make a serious impact on our team over the next few years. Brian might be caught in the physical stakes but he’s a hardy fucker while the other two will be monsters after a proper weights program
Agreed, also add Padraig Power. Hes the win his own ball and can score type of forward we need. Hopefully Colin O Brien can kick on over the next 2 years aswell. Maybe Shane O Regan could be looked at again.

It’s almost a cultural thing with Coleman and a few more at this stage, it’s so ingrained they can’t resist it, of course we only tried to change course a few weeks back but certainly it needs stamping out, the amount of times it’s given to a fella retreating towards our own goal by the sideline with a defender on his back also!!!
I have a degree of sympathy as it was clear this was a direction from management to play this nonsense all the way through the league…..a strong manager would stamp this out.
Coleman is a unique talent in many ways but not a great wing back at this stage, looking back at the half back all stars winners for the last few years, winning puckouts, defending and winning ball are what marks them out
Blarney won a county by utilising Coleman in a free role from half forward. He did brilliant in that role. That’s what we need to look at doing.

I can see the problem though and it is down to us having fairly average defenders that he has to be used in defence. We’ve seen numerous defenders struggle in various games but be a constant in the team. Yet we have forwards like Hoggy, Cadogan, Barrett etc who can’t start at the other who are much higher quality than the defenders available. We need to freshen up the defence among other things.

Generally speaking we are quite soft. When we strike hot then we are great to watch and everyone is brilliant. When we strike a bit cold then everyone seems to disappear into their shells a bit.

Forgot about Padraig Power, good prospect. Colin O Brien has huge potential but we discarded him early this year instead of developing him
Agreed, also add Padraig Power. Hes the win his own ball and can score type of forward we need. Hopefully Colin O Brien can kick on over the next 2 years aswell. Maybe Shane O Regan could be looked at again.

Blarney won a county by utilising Coleman in a free role from half forward. He did brilliant in that role. That’s what we need to look at doing.

I can see the problem though and it is down to us having fairly average defenders that he has to be used in defence. We’ve seen numerous defenders struggle in various games but be a constant in the team. Yet we have forwards like Hoggy, Cadogan, Barrett etc who can’t start at the other who are much higher quality than the defenders available. We need to freshen up the defence among other things.

Generally speaking we are quite soft. When we strike hot then we are great to watch and everyone is brilliant. When we strike a bit cold then everyone seems to disappear into their shells a bit.
You’re defence need to be defenders first and foremost, marks first instinct is to want to play the ball, he’s a brilliant talent and we need to find a way to utilise that and I said it after last years final and I’ll say it again, play him at 11 and let him dictate the play. His intricate short passes would be more productive up there

Coleman passing the ball 10 yards to a marked Robbie flynn.........as an aside the umpire in the second half waved a cork 65 appeal wide but didn't tell the ref that the Galway defender threw it at shane Kingstons leg..
Umpires can't get involved until the ref asks for an opinion unless it's off the ball foul play
In that case it's a 65 as far as he is concerned
He can't call a free

Cork teams are hitting too many wides for far too long and no management have corrected the problem. Regarding the free taking the management and some on here can't see the difference an inter-county free taker brings and yet the management have a statistician at their disposal. They showed no faith in Conor Lehane in the past and when they bring him back and he's showing form from play the management give him the free taking duties and drop Hoggy, ridiculous. Shane Kingston and Conor Lehane are not inter-county standard free takers despite being good hurlers. Alan Cadogan displays accuracy from play but the management showed no faith in him all year until they were facing the exit door.

All the professionalism and S&C etc. are never as important as the skills of the game.

Its going to be a long winter but roll in the new management and hopefully the county board will make good decisions in selecting the right guys.
Clare were not competitive until lohan drove s and c standards

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼