Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Lehane was head and shoulders the best forward in the county championship.

Suggestions that he doesn't deserve his place are ludicrous.

Absolutely let’s look at the club championship only and ignore the last 10 years at senior intercounty level

'Knowledgeable poster'.

I said we were 50:50 against Kilkenny/Galway. How you can take that as an assumption we would beat Galway or being somehow evidence of getting carried away is anyone's guess.

Kingston could raise the Titanic with magnets and you'd still be finding something to crib about.

IMHO Kingston is not a good coach/manager but what he is is that he is a lucky manager.
Last year we had great luck with the draw and played a poor by there standards kilkenny team in the semi final.and this year we faced almost the worst Tipp team i have seen in a few decades in a game we had to win to survive.
There is nothing wrong with having a lucky manager and i hope it continues as i have us @ 10/1 to reach the semi final..

Whatever about Kilkenny we are not 50:50 with Galway at all by any rational analysis of where the two teams stand.
Galway are a team cork hate playing against- very physical and direct if they want to be.
I think fellas need to calm down and in fairness the knowledgeable posters are as usual, Waterford and tipp blew up this year and obviously there are things going on there in the background.
Cork did the job and deserve praise but they have a while to go to say they would beat Galway for example.
Still wouldn’t be fully convinced bt the management team as any crew that could set cork up the way they did this year until the players told them enough wouldn’t inspire confidence.
I think Galway should be ranked a little ahead of Cork this year. They haven't lost a match, albeit they haven't yet faced a team as strong as Limerick or Clare. Cork were comfortably beaten by the two strongest teams in Munster and in turn beat what turned out to be the two weakest.

That said, Cork's form has obviously improved, and whatever about Limerick I would fancy them to give a much better account of themselves against Clare if they met again. Also, while Galway's form has been steadier, it's not like they've been blowing away all and sundry. Things might look different after the provincial finals, but right now I'd put them behind Limerick and Clare.

Edit: I also think that while Galway would cause Cork problems with how they play, the reverse is also true. Galway seem a bit short of pace in the middle of the park, and last year they lost badly to Waterford who played a running game not too far off what Cork would try to do.

Last edited:
'Knowledgeable poster'.
I said we were 50:50 against Kilkenny/Galway. How you can take that as an assumption we would beat Galway or being somehow evidence of getting carried away is anyone's guess.

Kingston could raise the Titanic with magnets and you'd still be finding something to crib about.

Kingston has a long way to come to convince the Cork hurling public that he knows what he's doing on the line imho.
It took him for ever and a day to suss out the best positional deployment of players he had at his disposal and he persisted with tippy tappy toilet long after it had been sussed out by every other county and it was being used as a rod to beat our team with, rather than a weapon we could use to beat others.

He is improving [the only way is up (c) Yazz and The Plastic Population] and the in-match switch of Downey and Joyce is exactly the kind of fine-tuning and reaction to what's happening on the pitch that all good managers are capable of. But in fairness he did it. Bit by bit, not alone is the confidence of the players improving but the confidence of the management team will be too I suspect. And with it, the confidence the team have in the management.

At the moment Kingston couldn't raise a gallop, much less the Titanic, but he's starting to trot at the moment.

I'd say with this teams development we are probably 12 months off of beating Limerick.

I'd be happy enough with a respectable performance against Galway/Kilkenny.
I'd be inclined to perhaps agree with you on the Limerick comment Hank but I think a respectable performance against Galway/Kilkenny would not be seen as anywhere near enough for the continued progression of this team. We were good enough to beat this level of opposition last year so I think at this stage the only type of defeat that might be somehow acceptable under the banner of "progress" is a narrow defeat to Limerick where we put it up to them and stay competitive for the full game. Limerick are that good but as you said every team can have an off-day but Cork need to improve on last year otherwise 2022 will have seen us regress as a team and that is not a good sign of a young team - we need to be moving forward every year otherwise there will be player turnover and we will be back to the drawing board before we know it.

Just looking at our scorers so far from the 4 matches

From play Connolly 4-2, Lehane with 12 , Fitzgibbon 2-3, Shane Kingston with 1-8, Harnedy with 10, O'Flynn 8 and Hoggy with 7.

If we can continue with
I'd be inclined to perhaps agree with you on the Limerick comment Hank but I think a respectable performance against Galway/Kilkenny would not be seen as anywhere near enough for the continued progression of this team. We were good enough to beat this level of opposition last year so I think at this stage the only type of defeat that might be somehow acceptable under the banner of "progress" is a narrow defeat to Limerick where we put it up to them and stay competitive for the full game. Limerick are that good but as you said every team can have an off-day but Cork need to improve on last year otherwise 2022 will have seen us regress as a team and that is not a good sign of a young team - we need to be moving forward every year otherwise there will be player turnover and we will be back to the drawing board before we know it.
A 1/4 final defeat would be a real backward step.

Good post.

I think it will be a good year only in the context how our championship started.

Id have no fear of us playing Kilkenny or Galway.

I think on recent evidence that Limerick are still on balance that bit too ahead of us. That said the refs seem to be policing the dodgier aspects of their game this year or at least more than they were.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Café And Wine Bar, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼